Music decibel limit, according to Thai Laws

riclag

21 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Maximum sound pressure level shall not exceed 115 dB(A). (2) Weighted Equivalent Continuous Sound Level (Leq) for 8 hours shall not exceed 75 dB(A). (3) Weighted Equivalent Continuous Sound Level (Leq) for 24 hours shall not exceed 70 dB(A).

So , heres what I did using my decibel app ! I walked around the entire perimeter of my premises with the volume set , the decibel graph never exceeded 69 !In fact ,the sound  decreases the further one goes away from the source . We spend a majority of our time out, in and around our garden and veranda.

The police told my wife to start recording the dogs.The immediate neighbors have said the residence has become very noisy in the last year with dogs in general.

On 12/15/2023 at 12:34 AM, Morch said:

@riclag

Mostly, we do not agree about anything much. And I don't like you posting style too.

But on this, I hear ya.

We don't have a dog problem, more like a loud music fan across the street (mainly when he's alone on the property, working the garden).

There's not a whole lot you can do. There might be some rules about it, but nobody cares, and there's no way to check. It all gets decided according to what local police says - unless you're willing to take it up a notch, and that's....sometimes not the best option.

What I would go for in your case is a sensor setup - a gadget that turns the music on only when the barking gets too loud. Even if he doesn't get it, the dogs will. Also, if Mrs. riclag isn't averse to it, funeral music does wonders to dampen spirits next door.

My wife and i play Murlam , Thai & Latin music! We recently asked some neighbors about the sound  coming from our premises since the police came , they can hardly hear the music! 
 I try to run our life issues by discussing them

with my wife , so we have cut the music play considerably and only play when she exercises & works around the garden which is everyday We also play our music intermittently when the dogs bark excessively with decibel limit never exceeding 70 %, from 9am .
We think we have tried to make changes according to my neighbors life style 

I have moved from the master bedroom several years ago , to the other side of the house during my sleep hours. My wife still sleeps in the master and is awakened everyday at 4-5 am when he lets the off the wall

chihuahua out to pee! I dont know how she tolerates it  at times , the rude awakening by excessive nonsense barking!

She complains to me when she cant get back to sleep , which is getting more frequent.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, riclag said:

So , heres what I did using my decibel app ! I walked around the entire perimeter of my premises with the volume set , the decibel graph never exceeded 69 !In fact ,the sound  decreases the further one goes away from the source . We spend a majority of our time out, in and around our garden and veranda.

The police told my wife to start recording the dogs.The immediate neighbors have said the residence has become very noisy in the last year with dogs in general.

Show it to police. Or file a suit because of defamation?

In Thailand, the maximum allowable level for music and other forms of noise is regulated by the Enhancement and Conservation of the National Environmental Quality Act B.E. 2535 and its subsequent amendments. The specific decibel limits can vary depending on the zoning of the area (residential, commercial, industrial, etc.) and the time of day.

If you are experiencing excessive noise from a neighbor in Thailand, there are several steps you can take to address the issue:

1.     Communication: The first step is often to speak to the neighbor directly. They may not be aware that they are causing a disturbance. A polite conversation explaining the problem might resolve the issue amicably.

2.     Mediation: If a direct conversation doesn't yield results, or if you prefer not to confront the neighbor, seek out mediation services. Some communities have local mediation centers or community leaders who can help address neighbor disputes.

3.     Building Management or Juristic Person: If you live in a condominium or a housing estate with a management committee or a juristic person, report the issue to them. They may have rules and regulations in place to handle such complaints and can take action on your behalf.

4.     Local Authorities: For persistent problems or when the noise constitutes a public nuisance, you can contact your local municipal office or the district office (OrBorTor). They can investigate the complaint, and if the noise is found to violate local ordinances, they may take action against the offending neighbor.

5.     Police Assistance: If the noise is significant and especially if it occurs during quiet hours or constitutes a disturbance of the peace, you can report it to the police. Thai law prescribes quiet hours, typically from 10 pm to 6 am. Police intervention might result in a warning or require the neighbor to cease the noise.

6.     Legal Action: As a last resort, you may seek legal action. Under the Civil and Commercial Code, a person affected by a nuisance exceeding the normal bounds of tolerance, given the nature of the locality and other factors, may file a claim at the court seeking relief or damages.

It is important to document your complaints, the times and nature of the noise, and any communications you've had attempting to resolve the issue. Keep evidence such as recordings, which could be used to substantiate your claim if legal action is ultimately necessary. Make police reports.

If you decide to go through a legal action, the laws and regulations that cover noise pollution and disturbances are numerous and may vary based on the location and type of noise. Here are some legal resources that you might reference when dealing with a noise complaint:

1.     Civil and Commercial Code (Tort Law): The Civil Code allows those who are affected by excessive noise to file a nuisance complaint. According to Section 1337, if a person is causing others discomfort or inconvenience beyond the normal limits of toleration, the affected party has the right to request the court to prohibit such actions and seek damages. Thai Lawyers usually use 420 and 420 of the Commercial and Civil Code of Thailand.

2.     Land Traffic Act: This law may be applicable if the noise disturbance is caused by vehicles. The Land Traffic Act sets rules for vehicle noise levels and can be used to address noise disturbances that come from traffic.

3.     Public Health Act: The Public Health Act covers regulations related to environmental health, which may include noise pollution. Local administrative organizations often use this act to enforce noise control measures.

4.     Environmental Quality Promotion and Conservation Act: This act provides general principles for the maintenance of environmental quality, which may cover noise levels.

5.     Local Municipal and Administrative Organization Regulations: Often, local government bodies have their own set of rules and ordinances regulating noise levels, quiet hours, and disturbances. These regulations are enforced by local authorities and can vary from one municipality or province to another.

6.     Ministry of Interior Announcements: Sometimes specific announcements or regulations from the Ministry of Interior can set parameters or guidelines for noise levels in residential areas.

For these laws to be applied to a specific situation, the noise has to be considered unreasonable and excessive, beyond normal tolerable levels, and generally affecting quality of life or health. It's important to consult with a legal expert or a lawyer to navigate the necessary legal steps, as they can guide you on the most appropriate law to use and the procedure to follow.

Sebastien (ThaiLawOnline).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 2:05 PM, riclag said:

This guy lives alone for the most part!

He has a wife that lives in Bangkok with 2 of the 3 daughters.

The other daughter is a nurse in one of the hospitals and she’s works all different shifts, sometimes she sleeps at the dogs house!

The other day he was drunk and boasted to his invited guests he bought the house  for the dogs( bann Ma). 

Well I was going to say his wife should turn the volume up instead of him, but it seems it might be more complicated.

On 12/16/2023 at 8:35 AM, riclag said:

My wife still sleeps in the master and is awakened everyday at 4-5 am when he lets the off the wallchihuahua out to pee! I dont know how she tolerates it  at times , the rude awakening by excessive nonsense barking!

Quite comparable to my pet peeve in Isaan, chicken. One rooster at 03:00 will wake the whole village including all the dogs.

For chicken there is a simple solution, their number in their sleeping trees around our house decreases rather fast in step with my "voracious" (according to the wife) appetite when I am in the village.

Not much filling the bones on a chihuahua, but if no other solution can be found... :licklips:

• Thanks 1

As you might already have figured out that even if there is a notice limit , it is not enforced.  

Google "noise canceling windows  thailand" 

I also had a problem with barking dogs and a rooster at a neighbor's house not too far from ours

In my bedroom I have thee windows, two on each side of the bed and one on the adjacent wall .

The two windows on either side of the wall I filled with fiberglass insulation and then covered  them with a nice stained plywood and molding, 

I was planning to have the rest of the windows in the house retrofitted with a noise cancelling product from a company in BKK the wife found, but , I don't know what happened at the neighbor's house but the dogs and rooster are gone.  

Also after a few years here I have learned to filter them out , so if you are relatively new to Thailand there is this hope also that after a while you wont even hear them anymore. 

Be careful, it's all reporting to the appropriate authorities now, but it can get stabby and or bullety real fast here.

Just because neighbours let off strings of bangers any time of the day and just because they sing really bad karaoke at 2AM in the morning, or the illegal cockfights every Sunday with accompanying "We are the Champions Chickens" playing so loud it makes the kids cry, doesn't mean "we" can.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

Quite comparable to my pet peeve in Isaan, chicken. One rooster at 03:00 will wake the whole village including all the dogs.

For chicken there is a simple solution, their number in their sleeping trees around our house decreases rather fast in step with my "voracious" (according to the wife) appetite when I am in the village.

Not much filling the bones on a chihuahua, but if no other solution can be found... :licklips:

The Mrs has a strip of land 500 yards away from her Parents in the village she grew up in ,which is about 12k from our residence that I’ve been discussing in this thread!

She has mentioned numerous times that we sell & move and build another house lol.

I would never do that because of the 

roosters constant 24/7 noise nonsense & family constantly coming 

over unannounced and the obvious ,building and buying a second house.

I've had constant problems with noise pollution since I arrived here over 15 years ago. Stray dogs all hours of the night, neighbours coming and going, slamming doors, that car alarm beep beep that tells the owner it's on. Music from both Thai and foreign neighbours. People walking around all night, both inside and out.

For me, I've had no joy at all trying to deal with it both amicably and the reverse. I even asked some Thai work colleagues to help but nothing changed.

It's put me off buying instead of renting as there seems to be no enforced law on the topic. I knew a Thai friend who bought a new build and within a year a snooker club/ karaoke bar opened up behind his premises on wasteland. Same for him, no joy in stopping it.

Maybe in my case I've not been as fortuitous as others and reading a few posts there does seem to be a way of stopping it but the only way round it, in my experience purely, has been to move.

I know this is not the answer you wanted but for me, I have always rented so I was lucky enough to count my losses, consider the impact it was having on my state of mind and jump ship.

We're culturally conditioned to see noise from others as wrong. Thais seem to have a higher tolerance of it and it won't change, unless you do have luck or a knowledgeable assist on your side.

If you can't move I'd recommend legal action rather than ramping up the music. He seems totally unreasonable so won't consider a compromise.

I wish you luck in handling it and hopefully resolving the problem.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Barnet1900 said:

I've had constant problems with noise pollution since I arrived here over 15 years ago. Stray dogs all hours of the night, neighbours coming and going, slamming doors, that car alarm beep beep that tells the owner it's on. Music from both Thai and foreign neighbours. People walking around all night, both inside and out.

For me, I've had no joy at all trying to deal with it both amicably and the reverse. I even asked some Thai work colleagues to help but nothing changed.

It's put me off buying instead of renting as there seems to be no enforced law on the topic. I knew a Thai friend who bought a new build and within a year a snooker club/ karaoke bar opened up behind his premises on wasteland. Same for him, no joy in stopping it.

Maybe in my case I've not been as fortuitous as others and reading a few posts there does seem to be a way of stopping it but the only way round it, in my experience purely, has been to move.

I know this is not the answer you wanted but for me, I have always rented so I was lucky enough to count my losses, consider the impact it was having on my state of mind and jump ship.

We're culturally conditioned to see noise from others as wrong. Thais seem to have a higher tolerance of it and it won't change, unless you do have luck or a knowledgeable assist on your side.

If you can't move I'd recommend legal action rather than ramping up the music. He seems totally unreasonable so won't consider a compromise.

I wish you luck in handling it and hopefully resolving the problem.

This has been going on for years and it will only get worse .Theres Three chihuahua puppies that are learning from Ninnie( the mother dog) the art of excessive barking!

Everyday  my wife & I both make sound & video  recordings to present as proof to the appropriate community authorities .

We plan on having our windows on the Neighbors side covered over with acrylic to cut down

on the noise when we come in doors. What’s at play many times is the dogs are under the neighbors house car park which amplifies the high pitched nonsense, take a listen to a sample below from my  garden.

Thanks for your concern & comment 

Edited by riclag

On 1/5/2024 at 6:59 AM, fondue zoo said:

Be careful, it's all reporting to the appropriate authorities now, but it can get stabby and or bullety real fast here.

Just because neighbours let off strings of bangers any time of the day and just because they sing really bad karaoke at 2AM in the morning, or the illegal cockfights every Sunday with accompanying "We are the Champions Chickens" playing so loud it makes the kids cry, doesn't mean "we" can.

Tell me about it! I know all about living 

in that “moment”.

We watched this dog neighbor perform in his back yard from my window a 1-1/2 ago.

Screaming for me to come fight him while he was drunk , threatening to

kill me for telling his dogs to shut up.

Our music to drown  the excessive barking out,has subsided a lot over the past week. We are gathering evidence right now, making many

recordings to help prove the nuisance.