Home visit for marriage extention Phuket

Hello, I just applied for an extension to a non- o based on marriage, in Phuket I got the under consideration stamp. The IO said they might do a home visit. What should I expect from this visit? Do they look around the house in all the rooms? What sort of questions do they ask? Do they call and tell you they are coming or do they just show up?

They will retake pictures, same as those you submitted on application.Verify a few details, or ask this and that - half to show they are doing something, or if it's a first, to see if some obvious differences. You may need a 'witness' present, sometimes with copies of his ID etc., and then they'll ask him some questions to verify him knowing you and in good standing. They do not roam about the house, they have no right. Even taking the pictures in the bedroom they ask politely.

They questioned us the first time, and then again when the visiting team changed and had a new boss. Other than that, just the pics and the witness thing. They usually go away with some plant from Mrs. Morch's nursery (if the plant loving guys come), or we talk about the grill (they came once just when I was at it - got some takeaway), or the dog (knows them by now).

Nothing serious.

For us, the first time was kinda short notice, and we weren't happy. After that, they called ahead. Sometimes a day before, sometimes in the morning to say they'll arrive afternoon or so.

Edited by Morch

While I had a Type-OA and then later a Type-O visa, I had been going for 1 year extensions at Phuket for a number of years.

The first time I went for a 1 year extension, Phuket immigration noted they would come for a visit.  They called twice - both times we were out of province.  We even called them but they advised - don't call us - we will call you. In the end they never visited.

Then a couple of years later, in two separate 1 year renewals, they made a "Line Video" call with me and my wife, where I was required to show them my condo via the video chat (via a video selfie with us inside the condo), then I had to walk to the door of my condo where the unit # could be seen and do a video selfie there, and then go to the condo complex entrance with me by the condo sign, and do a video selfie there.  

There is no elevator in our beach front condo, and I had to run up a few flights of stairs (and across a parking lot) to get to the street sign for our condo - which giving my huffing and puffing I thought was a bit humorous (I need the exercise) but they didn't seem to mind.  I had previously given them printed images of the same, ... so it was not the first time they had seen such.

So maybe after the 1st one or 2 renewals, they might switch to a video sessions, as opposed to a visit by them?  I don't know - I am now on an LTR visa and no longer have to worry about such.

20 hours ago, Aionss888 said:

Hello, I just applied for an extension to a non- o based on marriage, in Phuket I got the under consideration stamp. The IO said they might do a home visit. What should I expect from this visit? Do they look around the house in all the rooms? What sort of questions do they ask? Do they call and tell you they are coming or do they just show up?

With me in Trat yes they walk around the rooms, mainly only spoke to my wife, called 2 hrs. before. I normally get mine 7 days after application. As said do not give them one baht, none of this petrol money rubbish, they tried that on me one time, my answer was you wanted to come I did not invite you, never been asked since. just water to drink is ok. to be polite.

22 hours ago, kelboy said:

Just don't give them any money or whisky 

or beer. Just offer water and smile.

The reason for the visit is to establish that you actually live there as man and wife and that it is not a bogus marriage of convenience. They usually require a neighbour or the village head to attend and confirm you do live there. The witness will need their blue house book and ID as will your wife.