Renewing UK Passport, Proof of Address

This proof of address is also complete nonsense.

You know what we did (my agent and me) - we made a rental contract from my 'wife' (I'm not actually married but have lived with so long I may as well be) - aka 'common law wife' in some countries.

The rental contract for where I live is in her name, so we had a new standard boilerplate contract printed out with her renting the house to me in my name and that was acceptable as proof of address. What a load of <deleted>.

Such arrangements are pure nonsense yet required due to bureaucratic overkill.

10 minutes ago, ukrules said:

This proof of address is also complete nonsense.

You know what we did (my agent and me) - we made a rental contract from my 'wife' (I'm not actually married but have lived with so long I may as well be) - aka 'common law wife' in some countries.

The rental contract for where I live is in her name, so we had a new standard boilerplate contract printed out with her renting the house to me in my name and that was acceptable as proof of address. What a load of <deleted>.

Such arrangements are pure nonsense yet required due to bureaucratic overkill.

Seems a lot of trouble to go to!  Maybe your agent was trying to justify his fee!  

17 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Seems a lot of trouble to go to!  Maybe your agent was trying to justify his fee!  

Nope, the fee was the same regardless of whether I had a full chanote in my name or not.

He entered the address and the Mrs name into a computer, clicked print and 2 minutes later it was a signed rental contract, simple as that.

His fee was in my opinion fully justified merely by going to Bangkok twice on my behalf, now maybe he had more than one passport application to process at the same time but I don't care, good on him. People have to make a living somehow.

I know it would have cost me far more to go to Bangkok and do it myself as I'm not making any round trip to Bangkok in one day so we're talking nice hotel fees, someone to drive me to Bangkok in comfort - twice - would have cost me multiples of what the agent charged.

So it was cheap and well worth it.

• Agree 2