Renewing UK Passport, Proof of Address

On 12/20/2023 at 1:33 PM, prakhonchai nick said:

Last I heard from HMPO was that all required translations had to be done by a Translation company recognised by the British Embassy. Not many on their list!!!!!!!!

From an HMPO Letter

The translator must be:
- if overseas, employed by a translation company listed on the British Embassy/High Commission
or British Consulate website The translator can't be a family member or friend

You can get translations done at VFS now although I expect them to be pricey

On 3/7/2024 at 3:14 PM, Doctor Tom said:

Go use a reputable  agent.  30,000, plus the passport fee, where I live and it's money well spent.  They deal with all the paperwork and deal directly with VFS.  No visits to VFS are required.   The Agent will also get all the visa/extension/TM30 info transferred to the new passport. 

Ridiculous fee.

You should pay no more than  5/6,000 Baht for the service on top of the UKPA fee.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/7/2024 at 3:14 PM, Doctor Tom said:

Go use a reputable  agent.  30,000, plus the passport fee, where I live and it's money well spent.  They deal with all the paperwork and deal directly with VFS.  No visits to VFS are required.   The Agent will also get all the visa/extension/TM30 info transferred to the new passport. 

You've been ripped off, 2 agents I know charge 5000bht with everything done for you, all done by post...........🤗...................🤭

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/7/2024 at 4:01 PM, Mike Teavee said:

30,000 + Passport Fee!!!

Try 11,000 (12,000 if you want the "Jumbo" passport) which includes the passport fees, eg...

https://thaivisa-express.com/uk-passport-application-thailand/#:~:text=The cost of an adult,passport and our service fee.

For proof of address, just go into your Bank & ask them to print any letter in English with your address on it (Bank Statement should do the trick) 

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet and sent my passport off to Paul Aslett at Thai Visa Express on Monday 11th March.

It saves me having my wife to drive me to Bangkok, an overnight stay at my BIL in Samut Prakan, a visit the next day to VFS, wife to drive me there and hang around and then the 350 km trip back home. Then when VFS call me, we have to do the whole thing over again.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/7/2024 at 3:07 PM, Jaggg88 said:

We are pleased to inform you that effective from 18 March 2024, the UK Visa Application Centre and the HMPO address in Bangkok, Thailand will be relocated to the new address below:

That is the Visa Application Centre - not the passport office. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

You've been ripped off, 2 agents I know charge 5000bht with everything done for you, all done by post...........🤗...................🤭

You are only ripped off if you care; I don't. My agent is excellent, trustworthy, fast and efficient.  I have no problem paying for that level of service, just as I use an international Law firm for my legal issues.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

You are only ripped off if you care; I don't. My agent is excellent, trustworthy, fast and efficient.  I have no problem paying for that level of service, just as I use an international Law firm for my legal issues.  

OK................🤣

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/13/2024 at 2:25 PM, Foxx said:

The Visa Application Centre and His Majesty's Passport Office HMPO - both are moving!

On 12/20/2023 at 7:25 AM, sandyf said:

He would have to attend unless the photo had been countersigned. If no countersignature the VFS staff have to confirm appearance has not changed.

That's not the case. I renewed my passport last year and what the instructions say is that a countersignature is only required for a passport renewal if you are not recognizable from your previous passport photo. 

So all they need to confirm your appearance has not changed is to compare your old passport photo with the new photos.

Since my appearance was still similar enough to my last passport, I did not get anyone to countersign and I did not need to attend in person (did it through an agent).

Screenshot_2024_0314_125106.png

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

countersignature is only required for a passport renewal if you are not recognizable from your previous passport photo. 

Exactly, and as I said the applicant would need to be present for recognition to be established by VFS staff, unless the application had been countersigned.

Applications via an agent may well be seen by VFS as having been verified if the agents details are recorded in leu of countersignature.

Edited by sandyf

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2024 at 2:07 PM, Madgee said:

The cost of a new UK 54-page passport is about 6250 baht if applying from Thailand.
I believe that the MyThaiVisa agency (used by many) charges 12000 baht incl, all done by post. I will be using this service later in the year. Considering it would cost me a flight to BKK, an overnight stay and travel in BKK, and then again to pick the passport up, far cheaper and much less hassle! 

Update:
I delivered my passport to the MyThaiVisa agency (office not far away) on the 1st of April.  It can all be done by post.
Expiring passport
2 passport photos
I.D. Card (Thai driving licence will be accepted as well)
I signed a 'power of attorney' form allowing them to renew my passport on my behalf and a blank passport application form, they completed it.  
Paid 12,000 Baht.

I got a message via 'Line' this morning 26th of April that my new passport is ready to be picked up (or posted to me). According to them the passport office no longer issues a letter for immigration asking them to transfer my visa details and extension of stay to my new passport. 

Only 26 days to renew a UK passport from Thailand with no hassle, can't be bad! 

• Thanks 2

On 3/13/2024 at 2:25 PM, Foxx said:
On 3/7/2024 at 3:07 PM, Jaggg88 said:

We are pleased to inform you that effective from 18 March 2024, the UK Visa Application Centre and the HMPO address in Bangkok, Thailand will be relocated to the new address below:

"...the UK Visa Application Centre and the HMPO address in Bangkok, Thailand will be relocated.."

46 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...the UK Visa Application Centre and the HMPO address in Bangkok, Thailand will be relocated.."

That assumes that one knows that HMPO stands for.  I'd assumed it was something to do with the Post Office.  Still, my mistake.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Madgee said:

Update:
I delivered my passport to the MyThaiVisa agency (office not far away) on the 1st of April.  It can all be done by post.
Expiring passport
2 passport photos
I.D. Card (Thai driving licence will be accepted as well)
I signed a 'power of attorney' form allowing them to renew my passport on my behalf and a blank passport application form, they completed it.  
Paid 12,000 Baht.

I got a message via 'Line' this morning 26th of April that my new passport is ready to be picked up (or posted to me). According to them the passport office no longer issues a letter for immigration asking them to transfer my visa details and extension of stay to my new passport. 

Only 26 days to renew a UK passport from Thailand with no hassle, can't be bad! 

I'd be very pleased with the service and price too! Thanks for your report.