Opinion on Christmas music

Dirk Z

On another forum we play  ‘wham a geddon’. This year the UKers and Ozites were decimated, early.  An unprecedented slaughter.  Central airport is my danger zone. The mall has a Japanese syntho pop xmas loop. It is offensive, but their ‘Last Christmas’ is a cover version, so I live. This could be my year.  

PRI_212904084.webp

Edited by Dcheech
  • Sad 1

On 12/19/2023 at 9:33 PM, Phulublub said:

What is a "cultural Christian"?  Surely, to be a Christian (cultural or otherwise) you need to believe in Christ...otherwise you are agnostic, or atheist.

PH

Anyone growing up in a culture dominated by a particular religion is going to take on some cultural traits whether they practice the religion or not.

Culturally, America has inescapable Christian underpinnings. Even Muslims in Thailand must adopt some very Buddhist traits to function in society. it is the same with non-muslims in Muslim-dominated countries. I know Indonesian Christians who don't eat pork. 

Often Agnosticim and Athiesim are reactions to that cultural influence. to deny something you need to acknowledge its significance to others.  It is naive to think a religion's influence doesn't extend beyond devout practitioners

Edited by n00dle
  • Thumbs Up 1

Christmas in Thailand is infinitely tolerable.

In the Philipines, Christmas begins with 'Ber (the season of months ending in ber -- its a real thing there).

That means the carols and decorations start appearing September first.  That is the definition of hell.

On 12/19/2023 at 2:02 PM, Dirk Z said:

We live in a Buddhist country, but you wouldn't believe it if you see all the Christmas items around you: shop assistants and waiters with Christmas hats, Christmas trees, decoration etc. and last but not least the endless Christmas music in restaurants, shopping malls, public transport, resorts, virtually everywhere. Thai seem to think we like it or maybe they like it themselves. My question is: who enjoys the omnipresent Christmas music, both the traditional and the Christmas hits? Or on the other hand: who is relieved or maybe even sad when it's all over again?

No one

1 minute ago, n00dle said:

Anyone growing up in a culture dominated by a particular religion is going to take on some cultural traits whether they practice the religion or not.

Culturally, America has inescapable Christian underpinnings. Even Muslims in Thailand must adopt some very Buddhist traits to function in society. it is the same with non-muslims in Muslim-dominated countries. I know Indonesian Christians who don't eat pork. 

Often Agnosticim and Athiesim are reactions to that cultural influence. to deny something you need to acknowledge it.  It is naive to think a religions influence doesn't extend beyond devout practitioners

Yes exactly.

I grew up non Christian in the US and was definitely influenced by the dominant Christian culture.

8 minutes ago, freeworld said:

[Verse 1]
Deck the halls with boughs of holly
Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la
'Tis the season to be jolly
Don we now our gay apparel
Fa-la-la, la-la-la, la-la-la
Troll the ancient Yule-tide carol

You have a wonderful singing voice.

• Haha 1