Opinion on Christmas music

Dirk Z

7 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

You really are showing yourself to be a moronic troll!

You know what I meant when I said; 

"Why did you feel the need to put "gay music" rather than just "music" into your response? Please answer with the written word!"

I will re write my question so that even you will be able to understand the question without you coming back with what you think is a smart @rse response!

Please type an answer which does not make you seem an even bigger pratt than you have already become in my opinion;

"Why did you feel the need to put "gay music" rather than just "music" into your response?"

Already answered.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

We live in a Buddhist country, but you wouldn't believe it if you see all the Christmas items around you: shop assistants and waiters with Christmas hats, Christmas trees, decoration etc. and last but not least the endless Christmas music in restaurants, shopping malls, public transport, resorts, virtually everywhere. Thai seem to think we like it or maybe they like it themselves. My question is: who enjoys the omnipresent Christmas music, both the traditional and the Christmas hits? Or on the other hand: who is relieved or maybe even sad when it's all over again?

Most Thai’s have no idea of the meaning of Christmas.

To the uninformed Thai population,Its all about the festivities & presents.

imop

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not sure what you mean.

There are very few Thai Christians so it's a fact that Christmas here has nothing to do with Christianity for the vast majority of Thais.

How many Falang Christians are there?  Given the numbers here, and the rarity of churches, these must be packed solid every Sunday.....unless.....

PH

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, riclag said:

Most Thai’s have no idea of the meaning of Christmas.

To the uninformed Thai population,Its all about the festivities & presents.

imop

Uninformed Thais?

Looking at most Western countries, one might think that Christmas is all about overindulging in both food and drink, having an extended holiday, buying overpriced tat as presents that no-one wants and pretending to be overjoyed when others give you similarly overpriced tat in return.

PH

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Phulublub said:

Uninformed Thais?

Looking at most Western countries, one might think that Christmas is all about overindulging in both food and drink, having an extended holiday, buying overpriced tat as presents that no-one wants and pretending to be overjoyed when others give you similarly overpriced tat in return.

PH

You hit it right on the head here. 

12 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Uninformed Thais?

PH

“We live in a Buddhist country, but you wouldn't believe it if you see all the Christmas items around you:”

The topic starts with the above and You go straight away to western countries and question Uninformed Thais!

I always think of the meaning of Christmas, the birth of the Christ child and Im sure millions 

of others do too!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Not that many.

Face it there's nothing religious about Christmas in Thailand.

You wouldn't say that if you'd ever visited Ban Tha Rae at Christmas. I'll be going there in 3 days time. Even as an atheist I enjoy this festival.

https://mysakonnakhon.com/thailand-christmas-star-parade-festival/#bwg40/1372

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I'm atheist but I'm somewhat ambivalent regarding Christmas. If it brings happiness and joy to people that's fine by me. And as far as @Dirk Z's comment on this goes, there are, in fact many Christians in Thailand, why shouldn't their festivals be recognized here? 

Religious tolerance is something the whole planet could benefit from.

4 minutes ago, stoner said:

I think religion has been tolerated long enough. Time to move on with reality.

We are, I'm afraid, a long way from that. In the mean time we have to live with and tolerate what we have around us.

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

We are, I'm afraid, a long way from that. In the mean time we have to live with and tolerate what we have around us.

That simply perpetuates the problem. Why is religion never fact checked. Gets a free pass because of feels. 

Wake me up when people are past that. Until then back to my bong. 

53 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

You wouldn't say that if you'd ever visited Ban Tha Rae at Christmas. I'll be going there in 3 days time. Even as an atheist I enjoy this festival.

https://mysakonnakhon.com/thailand-christmas-star-parade-festival/#bwg40/1372

Before I waste precious time ploughing through endless photos, are there any of lovelies dressed up in sexy santa outfits?

1 hour ago, Phulublub said:

How many Falang Christians are there?  Given the numbers here, and the rarity of churches, these must be packed solid every Sunday.....unless.....

PH

I think most western f-rangs are at least cultural Christians which doesn't require believing in anything, going to church,  or wearing magic underwear, as the case may be. 

45 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

In a strange way, treating Christmas as a secular festival, with the decorations, parties, treats and gifts but not really acknowledging the religious significance is more honest than the Western approach of drinking, pigging out and punch ups on Christmas Eve, culminating in pools of vomit and bawling half remembered carols at Midnight Mass?

As the carol had it, "the hopes and fears of all the years are met in you tonight".

If you don't believe in it, don't pretend to once a year.

For most Thais it is simply a marker for New Year.

Discuss!

I agree with you. It's much more tolerable here than the U.S. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Original meaning.

OBVIOUSLY. 

Double duh.

History of the Word "Gay" | Origin of Everything | PBS LearningMedia

I did not ask about the meaning of the word gay, either in it's original happy form which from the OED is "Light-hearted and carefree. or, brightly coloured; showy or it's highjacked homosexual form"!

I asked;

"Why did you feel the need to put "gay music" rather than just "music" into your response? 

Please answer with a straight answer! 

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

I did not ask about the meaning of the word gay, either in it's original happy form which from the OED is "Light-hearted and carefree. or, brightly coloured; showy or it's highjacked homosexual form"!

I asked;

"Why did you feel the need to put "gay music" rather than just "music" into your response? 

Please answer with a straight answer! 

Straight answer, huh?

Do you mean boring answer?

Again I answered it.

Christmas music IS tres gay in the old definition of the word.

Was I being a tad flippant? Why yes, I was. So sue me.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Straight answer, huh?

Do you mean boring answer?

Again I answered it.

Christmas music IS tres gay in the old definition of the word.

Was I being a tad flippant? Why yes, I was. So sue me.

What a sad response!

You just are unable to justify why you posted "gay music" rather than just "music" comment!

No wonder people get p!ssed off with people like you flouting your being gay.

Why can you not just treat all people, that includes both "straight" and "Gay" males the same and drop the gay word unless it is directly relevant to the topic being discussed?

You do your "Gay" crusade no help by your postings.  In fact you set it back!

As far as I am concerned Christmas music is for all and is not divided between the so called LGBTQXYZetc letters and the rest of the world!

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

There is no evidence that Christ was born near the winter solstice. Christianity just arrogated a pagan festival to convert Germanic and Nordic tribes.

I kind of like to think that all the lights, trees and other decorations are just celebrations of Yule, which is completely pagan and has nothing to do with any of the Abrahamic religions.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What a sad response!

You just are unable to justify why you posted "gay music" rather than just "music" comment!

No wonder people get p!ssed off with people like you flouting your being gay.

Why can you not just treat all people, that includes both "straight" and "Gay" males the same and drop the gay word unless it is directly relevant to the topic being discussed?

You do your "Gay" crusade no help by your postings.  In fact you set it back!

As far as I am concerned Christmas music is for all and is not divided between the so called LGBTQXYZetc letters and the rest of the world!

What a load of caca.

I explained the meaning with the first music video I posted.

But your TOTALLY FAKE OUTRAGE triggered in a bizarre bigoted way over a freakin' word.

Best if you put me on ignore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1