How many times can I use the tourist evisa (60 days) per year?

Hi. English national, British passport. I am currently in Thailand on a 60 day tourist evisa.

I plan to leave in January and then come back to Thailand in March.

I plan to apply for another 60 day tourist evisa for my March trip.

Is there any issues with me doing this? Is it theoretically possible to get a new visa every time I travel?

29 minutes ago, WalsallRobbo said:

Hi. English national, British passport. I am currently in Thailand on a 60 day tourist evisa.

Is there any issues with me doing this? Is it theoretically possible to get a new visa every time I travel?

I don't see a problem, the embassy isn't notorious  for not issuing visas  I've had them back to back, and I have applied for visas when I already had a live non o visa which had not yet expired, they simply cancelled the old one  and issued a new one.

What's the worst that could happen ?   You  might end up facing a rogue immigration officer at the airport who may ask a few questions, but its highly unlikely.  And unless you have a history of coming here every few months for years nothing will come of it.

I think you will be fine.  Keep 20,000 baht cash on you  and if you have a hotel booking keep a copy of that too  just in case

Shouldn't be a problem dad does 3 x 59 Day trips equally spaced trips per 12 months, and has been for years, now tourist visas, was non-O ME before that and tourist visas before that (when you could get a few tourist ones at same application).

(I'm thinking anyone totalling more than 179 days cumulatively in a calendar your could get in and potentially then get a problem going out in future :smile: )

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

And unless you have a history of coming here every few months for years nothing will come of it.

what specifically would be the "unless" issue for a single 72 year old age pensioner re 3 times per yearTR60 @ 59 days each time followed by 2 mths out or 4 times per year 30 days VE in and 60 days out.  

33 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Shouldn't be a problem dad does 3 x 59 Day trips equally spaced trips per 12 months, and has been for years, now tourist visas, was non-O ME before that and tourist visas before that (when you could get a few tourist ones at same application).

(I'm thinking anyone totalling more than 179 days cumulatively in a calendar your could get in and potentially then get a problem going out in future :smile: )

I have never had any issues and always stay more than 180 days  not saying it never happens though 

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Bvor said:

what specifically would be the "unless" issue for a single 72 year old age pensioner re 3 times per yearTR60 @ 59 days each time followed by 2 mths out or 4 times per year 30 days VE in and 60 days out.  

Probably no issues I personally never had any , but if you search through the forum you will see a few stories from those who claim to have had problems

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, WalsallRobbo said:

I currently visit Thailand 3 times per year, equally spaced, for 60/90 days per trip with a SETV. Never a problem with the Visa being issued by the London Thai Embassy as long as all the paperwork in order. I usually apply within a few days of returning from Thailand.

Rarely questioned by an IO when entering Thailand in Bangkok. I think the IO's acknowledge that you have gone the correct route and obtained a visa appropriate for your proposed length of stay rather than the visa exempt/extension route.  

You should not have any problem with your plan.

1 hour ago, Cutty Shark said:

Hi. Just got my tourist E-visa approval notification.  I guess I should print it out to give to the IO at Suvarnabhumi. Or will the IO want to look at the message on my phone?

You'll need to print it out and hand it over with your passport at arrivals immigration. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Keeps said:

I currently visit Thailand 3 times per year, equally spaced, for 60/90 days per trip with a SETV. Never a problem with the Visa being issued by the London Thai Embassy as long as all the paperwork in order. I usually apply within a few days of returning from Thailand.

Rarely questioned by an IO when entering Thailand in Bangkok. I think the IO's acknowledge that you have gone the correct route and obtained a visa appropriate for your proposed length of stay rather than the visa exempt/extension route.  

You should not have any problem with your plan.

If the visa exempt extension route is not correct and somehow inappropriate, why does Thai immigration issue them ?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

If the visa exempt extension route is not correct and somehow inappropriate, why does Thai immigration issue them ?

What I meant and was probably quite clear to most non pedants is that I have applied for the most appropriate Visa for my planned trip and length of stay. 

There is no specific rule, but some Imm Officers take a dim view of people spending more than 180 days per year in Thailand, and many will at least question a back to back entry.

Basically they have been instructed ti be on the lookout for people who are actually living fulltime in Thailand without appropriate visa i.e. using sequential tourist visas or vi=sa exempt entries etc to live here.  In typical Thai government fashion this instruction came with no specific criteria so each IO  makes up their own interpretation of what would suggest someone lives here. Zeal of enforcement also varies btoh by individual IO and over time.

What you propose to do, 60 days here, 2 months away, another 60 here, should be fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1