The hidden struggle of Thailand’s overlooked workforce

webfact

12 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Many farmers don't get any of the govt compensation you mention even though there are suppose to. My wife's family have 5 farms between them and each time there has been compensation only 2 of the 5 receive anything and its never the correct amount. Rubber prices are fixed as are many other cash crops and its not in the farmers favor. 

The reason why only 2 receive money, is that there are five farms in the family, and the support is based on both a maximum size of land as well as a maximum payout limit per family. Still the under table 200 baht a day people have a worse situation.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The survey exposes a demographic truth bomb: a whopping 50% of informal workers are aged between 40 and 59, silently shouldering the burden of the nation’s economy.

So in about 15-20 years time when any young Thai with a brain has left Thailand, and the older generation cannot work, Thailand is going to implode?

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

The reason why only 2 receive money, is that there are five farms in the family, and the support is based on both a maximum size of land as well as a maximum payout limit per family. Still the under table 200 baht a day people have a worse situation.

nope not accurate. Every time compensation has been offered they have a different excuse on the ones that dont "qualify" (and its never the same ones) and has nothing to do with being in 1 family or size of the farms. They are all in different family names and were never 1 farm that was subdivided nor do they grow the same crops. The reason is diversion of funds.......

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Dan O said:

nope not accurate. Every time compensation has been offered they have a different excuse on the ones that dont "qualify" (and its never the same ones) and has nothing to do with being in 1 family or size of the farms. They are all in different family names and were never 1 farm that was subdivided nor do they grow the same crops. The reason is diversion of funds.......

Please, there are more farmers in my wifes family as well. I read the paper they got with the rules last time. So, sorry, It is exactly as I posted.

50 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Please, there are more farmers in my wifes family as well. I read the paper they got with the rules last time. So, sorry, It is exactly as I posted.

It may have for your family but it ha  not here in this province. So its exactly like I posted as well. You do understand what goes on in different areas  are not the same everywhere dont you? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

It may have for your family but it ha  not here in this province. So its exactly like I posted as well. You do understand what goes on in different areas  are not the same everywhere dont you? 

Not correct. The payouts are coming from one single place in Bangkok and are overseen by the government.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Why are you babbling on about farmers?

Just because the photo shows some harvesters?

They do not own the farms they harvest on......they are itinerant farm labourers, which is not the same as being a land owning/renting farmer who qualifies for subsidy/compensation.

Informal labourers have to wander around the country looking for any work that's going......anything from a few days to a few months on building sites, in warehouses, factories and, when the seasons right, they get agricultural work.

And the rice harvesting is dying off because more farmers are paying for these to do the work:

DSCF0123.thumb.JPG.b4003220fc6674e0635f5a84c659055b.JPG

Edited by Enoon
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Not correct. The payouts are coming from one single place in Bangkok and are overseen by the government.

There have been several payouts over the last few years which is what I was referencing about past payouts. They did not come from 1 source locally depending on what the payout was intended for. I know what's happened to my family and that's what I've relayed.  If you don't agree i don't care, you can move along as you were not here to see it happen so don't act like you know. Have a great day 

11 minutes ago, Dan O said:

There have been several payouts over the last few years which is what I was referencing about past payouts. They did not come from 1 source locally depending on what the payout was intended for. I know what's happened to my family and that's what I've relayed.  If you don't agree i don't care, you can move along as you were not here to see it happen so don't act like you know. Have a great day 

Okay! I have soon 25 years living in Thailand. What was I was not here for? How long have you stayed? You should probably not assume as much as you seem to do.

Edited by Gottfrid

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Okay! I have soon 25 years living in Thailand. What was I was not here for? How long have you stayed? You should probably not assume as much as you seem to do.

I've been here since 1984. You don't know what province I live in and seem to think whatever happens in your small sector of the country its handled the same in all provinces, which its not. All payouts have not come from the same sources of govt either or distributed in the same manner or by tge same agencies. But you would already know that since you've been here so long.  Move along cos this discussion is done 

2 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I've been here since 1984. You don't know what province I live in and seem to think whatever happens in your small sector of the country its handled the same in all provinces, which its not. All payouts have not come from the same sources of govt either or distributed in the same manner or by tge same agencies. But you would already know that since you've been here so long.  Move along cos this discussion is done 

It does today, and we are talking about today, right? Or are you referring to things no longer relevant?

In my GF's village, which is surrounded by rice fields, the average wage is 2500 baht/month. Most of the villagers work the rice fields, grow a lot of their own food, and go further afield for laboring or building employment.

Working in the rice fields is 300 baht/day for the men, 200 baht/day for the women. Rice does not need tending every day. Planting and harvesting are when it is all hands on deck.

The fields are cropped twice a year. I can only imagine what it is like in Issan, where there is only enough water to crop once a year.

9 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What an irrelevant rely. You must feel really proud over that one. :cheesy:

Well when some people think they know everything that happens in an area they don't live in and refuse to hear the facts from someone that does, they lose relevance, and that would be you in this case. Have a great day 

• Agree 1

The ruling class somehow notices that half the population not so well off... duh.

Explain why Takshin, just by acknowledging they exist, became wildly popular.

The rulers don't give a damn about anyone outside of Bangkok, and even less for agriculture workers (farmers or "harvesters".. as if that isn't part of farming!)