Welcome the Refugees

georgegeorgia

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Should that not be "If the aborigines had done more to make Australia a better place to live they would not find themselves in the situation that they find themselves now"?

Apologies if I got it wrong.

You are wrong.  Australia was a perfect place to live, and the aborigines had lived there since before I can remember in complete harmony with the environment.  Unfortunately, immigrants from far away thought that Australia was a better place to live (or to send convicts) than their own country, and fouled it for the Australians.  Maybe the aborigines tried to keep them out.  Their wooden spears were no match for the dinghys and boats in which they arrived, and they found themselves overwhelmed by people of different religions and opinions.  Let us not fall into that same trap, and let's encourage those that we don't want  to enjoy as neighbours refrain from emigrating - encourage them to stay in FOREIGN, where Foreign people should stay - make FOREIGN a nicer place to stay, instead of bombing them, and allowing oligarchs to bomb them, and displacing the long-time-previously-oppressed from persecuting them, when there are other continents where the ethnic cleansing has already been done.

Immigration is a foreign policy / aid issue, not a border issue.

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

What do you think we should do to make the UK a less attractive destination?  I am sure that our government are well down that road, given how may of our compatriots are on this forum.
What do you think we should do to encourage people to stay in their own country?
It is easy to be harsh on the poor and transient.  If that makes you feel good, then at least there is some benefit. 

Sending them all to Rwanda will work. The Aussie solution works.

As for stopping legal immigration to Thailand by making the UK a more attractive place to live, importing a few million Thai girls might work.

I lived in the place for 10 years and there is nothing that makes me want to retire there, despite being able to do so.

I doubt it's all down to the governments inflicted on the long suffering populace- some of it is down to the class system as well, IMO.

If the poor and transient made their own country a <deleted> and then abandoned it to repeat the destruction in a different country they are not wanted. It's not a case of feeling good about it or not.

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

You are wrong.  Australia was a perfect place to live, and the aborigines had lived there since before I can remember in complete harmony with the environment.  Unfortunately, immigrants from far away thought that Australia was a better place to live (or to send convicts) than their own country, and fouled it for the Australians.  Maybe the aborigines tried to keep them out.  Their wooden spears were no match for the dinghys and boats in which they arrived, and they found themselves overwhelmed by people of different religions and opinions.  Let us not fall into that same trap, and let's encourage those that we don't want  to enjoy as neighbours refrain from emigrating - encourage them to stay in FOREIGN, where Foreign people should stay - make FOREIGN a nicer place to stay, instead of bombing them, and allowing oligarchs to bomb them, and displacing the long-time-previously-oppressed from persecuting them, when there are other continents where the ethnic cleansing has already been done.

Immigration is a foreign policy / aid issue, not a border issue.

Ah, apologies and thank you for explaining it.

I agree with you. All our countries should be places we want to live in. Unfortunately, we humans are incapable of living in peace. IMO we humans are a terrible species, using our intelligence to make war, when we could be making the world a wonderful place to live.

Frankly, I see no hope for the human species, and we will continue on the path of destruction till we cease to exist.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sending them all to Rwanda will work. The Aussie solution works.

As for stopping legal immigration to Thailand by making the UK a more attractive place to live, importing a few million Thai girls might work.

I lived in the place for 10 years and there is nothing that makes me want to retire there, despite being able to do so.

I doubt it's all down to the governments inflicted on the long suffering populace- some of it is down to the class system as well, IMO.

If the poor and transient made their own country a <deleted> and then abandoned it to repeat the destruction in a different country they are not wanted. It's not a case of feeling good about it or not.

We can all blame other countries for being the victims of our bombing, or the bombing or our neighbours.  It is not so easy to stop our compatriots from bombing countries, or stopping our neighbours from bombing other countries.
We can make our own country less atteactive - and I think we have done so.  Fortunately, even a Conservative government cannot make the UK as hostile as Syria or Afghanistan.  I am pleased that people from those countries are willing to come to our country to provide cheap labour for farmers - although they are displacing my younger self (back in the day) as a seasonal potato-howker.

4 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I am pleased that people from those countries are willing to come to our country to provide cheap labour for farmers - although they are displacing my younger self (back in the day) as a seasonal potato-howker.

NZ has no problem attracting LEGAL overseas workers to come and pick fruit.

I have ZERO problem with LEGAL workers on a temporary basis.

I have a problem with ILLEGAL workers.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah, apologies and thank you for explaining it.

I agree with you. All our countries should be places we want to live in. Unfortunately, we humans are incapable of living in peace. IMO we humans are a terrible species, using our intelligence to make war, when we could be making the world a wonderful place to live.

Frankly, I see no hope for the human species, and we will continue on the path of destruction till we cease to exist.

I think that I am more optimistic than you - I think that people will assimilate to the culture in which they find themselves, and those that attract the best immigrants will become stronger, while those that persecute their own people will become weaker.  Nations that send their children to die in foreign wars will not prosper over those that are fighting for their survival.

7 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

We can all blame other countries for being the victims of our bombing, or the bombing or our neighbours.  It is not so easy to stop our compatriots from bombing countries, or stopping our neighbours from bombing other countries.
We can make our own country less atteactive - and I think we have done so.  Fortunately, even a Conservative government cannot make the UK as hostile as Syria or Afghanistan.  I am pleased that people from those countries are willing to come to our country to provide cheap labour for farmers - although they are displacing my younger self (back in the day) as a seasonal potato-howker.

I am extremely fortunate to live in a country that has not itself ever bombed another country, though many citizens have gone overseas to bomb other countries on the behalf of other countries.

I suppose that is the advantage of being in a country that is just too far away from everywhere else.

3 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Nations that send their children to die in foreign wars will not prosper over those that are fighting for their survival.

Perhaps that is why NZ is not prospering at this time. Karma is getting us for sending so many children to die in foreign wars.

As we have basically abandoned having an actual fighting military, and now just send people to watch other people kill each other, perhaps karma will be kinder to us in future. I'm not holding my breath though.

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I am extremely fortunate to live in a country that has not itself ever bombed another country, though many citizens have gone overseas to bomb other countries on the behalf of other countries.

I suppose that is the advantage of being in a country that is just too far away from everywhere else.

And you can blame your ethic cleansing on foreigners