Phuket taxi drivers protest against rise of illegal taxi apps

webfact

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

They all have paid in lots of money for their right to pickup from certain places.  A right that's fading away. So from that perspective I understand their anger, but it's a lost battle, app taxis will take over.

They should just join the app.

14 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

They should just join the app.

easier said than done, I think most of them drivers from the airport limo companies, rent them by the day so the driver doesn't have a car, if they did have a car it has to be no older than 6 years, something along them lines, 

So the Phuket Taxi Assn has amassed more that 1000 illegal taxis of their own to complain about other illegal taxi's ????

Only in Thailand !

"They claimed that over 3,500 taxi vehicles had amassed at the hall, a figure that appeared to dwarf the 2,429 vehicles officially registered with the local authorities just a week prior."

On 12/22/2023 at 3:22 PM, ChipButty said:

At 1000 baht a tourist can rent a car for less 

Yes.  And you can often buy a car for the same cost of renting for a year.  I'm in a 2012 Alerma, a real POC.  The same car, same year, and  similar km sell for what I will pay rent for that car after only 13 months.  Same with a longterm motorbike rental.