I just saw a man driving a wheel.

JeffersLos

Only a wheel.

Maybe 15 inches.

It seemed to have a small electric motor on the side. There were no other visible parts to this vehicle. 

He was wearing a fell face helmet. Presumably to help keep brains and blood out of the engine compartment of the pickup truck that drives over him. 

I put forward that the riding position isn't the most comfortable on long trips. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There are ones with bigger wheels that are more like a one-wheel motorcycle with a seat and handlebars.

Much more suitable for us "slightly older" guys.

I'd still want a lid (of course), gloves and probably skateboarding pads.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

I have tried it. if you are comfortable with balancing sports, it is fairly intuitive. Skateboarding also teaches you how to bail without getting hurt.  

How long did it take you to become competent?

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'd love to but my knees would never stand it, too much like slalom skiing.

…the knees would be taking all the absorption of every bump in the road 

6 hours ago, n00dle said:

no harder than any number of types of sports equipment including a bicycle, unicycle, or skateboard. 

When I’m riding a two wheeler I have the support of my feet butt and hands. The bike has two wheels and shocks taking up most of the absorption. Do these uni-wheel devices have shock absorbers?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

There are ones with bigger wheels that are more like a one-wheel motorcycle with a seat and handlebars.

I guess older guys prefer electric wheelchairs. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Here you go

3d0b42afaad0ba6b69792fb5516b54a7-943637231.thumb.jpg.659dc4b502a6405695c47f7ec0c98b49.jpg

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

Bought one in China around 10 years ago. Took me two days to learn it. Used rollerblading pads for protection. Everything is done by weight shift. Was a lot of fun. Used to drive to a neighbor village for seeing my friends. But about a year later they were forbidden on public ground in Switzerland.

11 hours ago, novacova said:

When I’m riding a two wheeler I have the support of my feet butt and hands. The bike has two wheels and shocks taking up most of the absorption. Do these uni-wheel devices have shock absorbers?

Yes they have shock absorbers also the tire is much larger so it provides a decent amount of shock absorption. 

I've had a King Song 18 inch electric wheel for abut 5 years. It takes about a week to get competent. The hardest part is learning to mount and dismount the thing. I practised pushing a shopping cart in an empty car park. I still use it to go to the shops and show off to the locals. I came off a few times in the learning stage, but you can usually keep on your feet at training speeds. I seldom go more than 3 or 4 kms these days.

When going on holidays it's easy to put in the boot and then use at our destination (instead of a scooter). Mine goes up to about 40 km/hr and has a range of about 70 km.

• Like 1

People have been injured when their wheel has exhausted the electricity supply and stoped instantly from speed. The rider keeps going.

I remember one of the members of the Goonzquad YouTube channel sporting extensive road rash after such a crash.

(They may have fixed this problem since the publicity)

20 hours ago, novacova said:

the good ones certainly do. 

Seen in Pattaya once or twice.

These things are well known but never made a big trend compared to the Segways,

Search for "UnicycleWheel" on FB and be surprised there is a specialized dealer in Bangkok.

For many of the prices shown you can get two basic small 110 ccm motorbikes.

Max speed 85 km/h (50 mph)!!!

You must be insane to try this on public Thai roads.

Edited by KhunBENQ