How to make a regular TV a SMART TV

NanLaew

I have had 3 Smart TVs and I have never used the so-called 'smart' functions on any of them.

I have a mini-PC (around 6k THB) which I connect to both the Internet and TV. Too many sites available to watch all sports, TV series, and movies for free! 

Besides having the ability to stream TV I can connect to my printer as well as many other Bluetooth devices. Also it provides me a place to backup my phone, pictures, etc....

I would much rather have a PC than a dongle called 'firestick'.

41 minutes ago, dddave said:

Netflix certification allows 4K and HDR which is immaterial if using older 720 P TV's.

You might also consider a mini-pc.  There are windows-11 mini PCs with great specs for watching TV and normal internet browsing, YouTube and Netflix.  For example this mini-pc from Lazada would work very well.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/geekom-mini-pc-mini-air11-se-intel-celeron-n4020c-nuc-11-mini-computers-with-fan-coolingup-to-28ghz-6gb-lpddr4128g-ssd-desktop-windows-11-pro-support-4k-uhddual-wifibt42gigabit-ethernet-i4871547293-s20400690342.html?

Actually, with your older TVs, you could probably get by with some of the even cheaper used office mini-pc's with VGA graphics. and windows 10.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/acer-veriton-n4640g-i5-gen6-mini-pc-i4831860551-s20788104352.html?

Just read your reply after I posted mine......seems like an awesome idea!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

No I don't work for Mecool, I just gave some kind advice to a pretentious idiot, because I know what I'm talking about, who asks a question and then claims he knows it all better.

And I didn't refer to Mecools 2000 baht and up, because they have about 15 models and only 3 are certified

There's no denying you know your android box stuff but that's just about all you know.

Merry Christmas @BenStark, You've been more help than you will ever, ever know.

6 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Spend the 2 or 3 thousand on a box. Change TVs as often as you want and move the box to the next TV. The smart TV part of those TVs really isn't very. It's the first thing I disable on any TV I use. 

Different opinions I guess. I've used Samsung TVs for 9+ years and I find the smart part easy to use, reliable and very convenient. Have Android boxes for anything over and above.

Have seen some bad ones though on other brands, as mentioned by Sheryl above, but those Koreans are sure smarter than many.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What's with this certification? I watch Netflix on my ancient desktop in the shed and that's far from certified. I am a not totally ignorant of the web of things and I imagine there is a lot of rubbish and false advertising out there, but this 'certification' doesn't quite ring the same as 'compatible'.

Because that is the browser version, and only allows 720p. You can not install the Netflix app on a PC, unless you are on Windows 10 or 11

Edge allows 4K, but you will also to be on W10

https://www.amazon.com/fire-tv-stick-4k-max-with-alexa-voice-remote/dp/B08MQZXN1X

I have several 4K max firesticks.  Have never had a problem with wifi signal and do not ever expect one. Above specs are fine for streaming and I never have buffering. It most certainly is not underpowered as above specs confirm. For the money you pay and a guarantee from Amazon of several years support it is most certainly a good streaming device.

Not sure whether discussing IPTV content is allowed here, but i would like to hear members experience and recommendations

for ITPV streaming contents, i get mine from a place in China, Live TV, Movies and TV series by the 10th of thousands

from many countries around the world for only like less that a 100 baht a year, not the most stable streaming

but this is all i have for now...

Edited by ezzra

My Mecool Km2+ arrived at the weekend and I've spend a while battling through the apps/setup.

Google assistant almost useless as it only searches Netflix/prime video, and not KODI (which I use to stream from my NAS)

KODI 20.2, I had some problems as browse-able SMB network is disabled (for my own security you understand) after V19.1, eventually I got it working by typing in the SMB address by hand. (smb://NAS326/WD-Elements-24A3-1013/HD Movies). Now it works quite well but isn't searchable by Google Assistant.

HBO GO, this is also quite well integrated, but again not searchable.

The remote is very useful, it can control my TV inputs and my Soundbar volume, and the four 'goto' buttons are programmable so I can use KODI, VLC, an HBO Go directly.

So pretty good for 1,780bht, shame about Google Assistant, would have been good if it searched the apps I selected an not the apps they selected.

IMG_20240101_165436.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My Mecool Km2+ arrived at the weekend and I've spend a while battling through the apps/setup.

Google assistant almost useless as it only searches Netflix/prime video, and not KODI (which I use to stream from my NAS)

KODI 20.2, I had some problems as browse-able SMB network is disabled (for my own security you understand) after V19.1, eventually I got it working by typing in the SMB address by hand. (smb://NAS326/WD-Elements-24A3-1013/HD Movies). Now it works quite well but isn't searchable by Google Assistant.

The remote is very useful, it can control my TV inputs and my Soundbar volume, and the four 'goto' buttons are programmable so I can use KODI, VLC, an HBO Go directly.

So pretty good for 1,780bht, shame about Google Assistant, would have been good if it searched the apps I selected an not the apps they selected.

IMG_20240101_165436.jpg

That's a really old box. I replaced my km-3 boxes last year with tox-3 after the mecool box died. The tox-3 comes rooted, 4gb ram, 32 or 64 gb rom. Not sure about Netflix certification as I download everything I watch. With all the streaming providers out there the only answer is to not subscribe to any. 

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

That's a really old box. I replaced my km-3 boxes last year with tox-3 after the mecool box died. The tox-3 comes rooted, 4gb ram, 32 or 64 gb rom. Not sure about Netflix certification as I download everything I watch. With all the streaming providers out there the only answer is to not subscribe to any. 

Can your box remote control a LG TV and Samsung Sounbar?

Can your box be voice controlled by Google Home Mini-nests?

If not, it's no use to me!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 4:57 PM, BritManToo said:

I don't use Google assistant, but I remember when connecting the box first time, it asks if you want Google assistant to include personal results. Maybe have a look in the google assistant settings.

Anyway, if it doesn't allow it, that is a google assistant limitation, and not something to do with the box itself, as it runs official Android TV 11 and is Google certified

On 1/1/2024 at 5:11 PM, gargamon said:

That's a really old box.

Mecool KM2 Plus was only released mid 2022, and runs Android TV 11, which is the latest version available from Android.

Mecool KM3 was released several years before the KM2 or KM2 Plus, and is not google certified

• Like 1

A simple Google brought up these results, a more intensive search may provide more results.

It may be good to add 4pda or Reddit in your search terms

https://support.google.com/assistant/thread/184491092/google-home-will-not-connect-to-third-party-apps?hl=en

https://bgr.com/tech/google-assistant-commands-third-party-android-apps/

On 1/10/2024 at 9:17 AM, BenStark said:

Mecool KM2 Plus was only released mid 2022, and runs Android TV 11, which is the latest version available from Android.

It would be better if you knew what you were talking about, otherwise it is always better to remain silent, rather than opening your mouth and remove all benefit of doubt.

Mecool KM3 was released several years before the KM2 or KM2 Plus, and is not google certified

Actually the latest version is Android TV 13.

On 12/26/2023 at 2:01 PM, NanLaew said:

Plenty of YouTubes and self-help out there but looking for a robust and easy solution for up here in Isaan.

I have a couple of flat screen TVs that predate the SMART era and are limited to the regular AV interfaces with no built-in internet or Bluetooth support. Therefore, I guess I am looking at the firestick or android box solutions. Plenty options on lazada, including different size memory and the like but just looking for something that will need minimal setting up and virtually idiot-proof. Not a great watcher of premium sports or the like but I have a Netflix account that gets plenty use in my shed or the SMART telly in the lounge. These 'dumb' TV's are in the bedrooms. The home has 3BB's fiber-driven 5Ghz Wi-Fi so that part is all sorted.

Thanks in advance.

Just buy a firestick 

image.png.b1bae7a93079bf401d68c514d2a7d187.png

• Like 1

IMG_20240101_165436.jpg

An interesting review of the KM2+: 

Not that you’ll be too concerned over a £40 box. 

• Sad 1

On 12/26/2023 at 1:45 PM, BenStark said:

A firestick is underpowered and has poor wifi, because it is plugged in at the back of your TV, so unless that wifi signal is really strong in the shed, it will be an issue.

I've used all varieties of Fire TV boxes and sticks in Thailand for many years, and have never had any wifi problems with them.

With the sticks, they each come with an HDMI extender cord to move the stick a bit further away from the TV's HDMI slot, wherever it may be on a given TV.

Also, each TV is different, some TVs have their HDMI slots on the rear... Others have them on the right or left edges of the TV cabinet.

Also, non-techie folks may not be aware that with Amazon Fire Sticks, you also have the option to buy an inexpensive OTG cable add-on that would allow you to connect the stick via Ethernet (assuming you have a connection available nearby) instead of wifi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NextG said:

You can find a negative review about every device, even the best one on the market, if you search long enough.

Congratulations, it took you long to find a thread to put your usual, I know it all better, stamp on it.

BTW the review is written by someone who just became and adult and purchased his very first Android box. Sure he knows everything :passifier:

Edited by BenStark

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've used all varieties of Fire TV boxes and sticks in Thailand for many years, and have never had any wifi problems with them.

With the sticks, they each come with an HDMI extender cord to move the stick a bit further away from the TV's HDMI slot, wherever it may be on a given TV.

Also, each TV is different, some TVs have their HDMI slots on the rear... Others have them on the right or left edges of the TV cabinet.

Also, non-techie folks may not be aware that with Amazon Fire Sticks, you also have the option to buy an inexpensive OTG cable add-on that would allow you to connect the stick via Ethernet (assuming you have a connection available nearby) instead of wifi.

I bought one long time ago since most of the channels are on smart TV now (live in the west) never ever had any problems with my Wi-Fi I watch movies all day long. 

19 hours ago, BenStark said:

You can find a negative review about every device, even the best one on the market, if you search long enough.

Congratulations, it took you long to find a thread to put your usual, I know it all better, stamp on it.

BTW the review is written by someone who just became and adult and purchased his very first Android box. Sure he knows everything :passifier:

Usually you are on ignore, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt on this one. You don’t appear to be a particularly intelligent person and so substitute that with fits of anger. 
What relevance is there in his age and whether it’s his first Android box?

How old are you and you thought Android 11 is the latest incarnation. Ridiculous. 
Facts are facts, whether you like them revealed or not. Grow up and stop acting like a petulant child. 

38 minutes ago, NextG said:

Usually you are on ignore, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt on this one. You don’t appear to be a particularly intelligent person and so substitute that with fits of anger. 
What relevance is there in his age and whether it’s his first Android box?

How old are you and you thought Android 11 is the latest incarnation. Ridiculous. 
Facts are facts, whether you like them revealed or not. Grow up and stop acting like a petulant child. 

I only wanted to call you out for what you are, and I'm glad that I'm on your ignore list, so I don't have too often read your replies.

On 1/15/2024 at 9:25 PM, NextG said:

I bought it as an experiment, and I must say using it with Synology Video Station app to play my movies and TV Shows works very well.

It would be nice if I could ask my 'google home' to play items by name, but I gues that's asking too much of a cheap android box.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I bought it as an experiment, and I must say using it with Synology Video Station app to play my movies and TV Shows works very well.

It would be nice if I could ask my 'google home' to play items by name, but I gues that's asking too much of a cheap android box.

Nice. I use another system via the Cloud, since I’m ‘travelling’. Can watch anything on any device anywhere. Though to be honest, I rarely watch anything. 

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Do you mean Google assistant?

I don't think the functions of Google assistant are related to the price of the device

27 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Do you mean Google assistant?

I don't think the functions of Google assistant are related to the price of the device

My home is voice controlled by Google nests, lights, sockets, TV, Aircon, all under voice control.