Look left. Look right, Look left again-Brit hit by bike

Seppius

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

No crossing there, my guess is elderly falang didn't look properly, outside PTT is a very busy area, worse place to cross

Seems the most likely scenario. The driver was a 35-year-old woman with a 17-year-old girl passenger. They weren't the usual street racer or kamikaze types. The passenger said the Brit stepped out without looking. May have looked too early. Yeah, I know, she would say that.

If you've ridden a bike around Pattaya much, you've surely had tourists do exactly that, or almost, in front of you. I once nearly hit an Indian lady stepping off the curb on 2nd Rd. Luckily she pulled back in the knick of time.

Something else to watch out for in Pattaya. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, timendres said:

Unfortunately, electric vehicles are making the "Listen" part less applicable. I am constantly shocked when they sneak up on me.

Friend of mine has a Tesla. Eerily quiet.

But there are currently few electric vehicles on the road in Pattaya.

Might need to turn up the hearing aids. Now there could be a slight chance that the driver would sound the horn when noticing you're about to step off the curb in front of him. You wouldn't want to miss that slight, perhaps infinitesimal, chance, now would you?

Otherwise, you should be listening for engine noise etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Seppius said:

Bet I have been here a lot longer than you, It's when you HAVE been here a long time, you know that crossing a very busy road needs total concentration, nothing to do with "assimilate" or "blaming Thailand" lol

Assimilating too much might get you in trouble as in glancing left right left right. Stop and take a a deliberate concerted look each way no matter what country you’re in, city or rural.

18 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

The Thai girls should sue the bag off of him, have his benefits cheques garnished

What should his benefit cheques be "garnished" [sic] with, a nice bit of salad, a sprinkling of parsley or slice of lemon or just a splodge of ketchup?   Having them garnisheed would be a better idea.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Friend of mine has a Tesla. Eerily quiet.

But there are currently few electric vehicles on the road in Pattaya.

Might need to turn up the hearing aids. Now there could be a slight chance that the driver would sound the horn when noticing you're about to step off the curb in front of him. You wouldn't want to miss that slight, perhaps infinitesimal, chance, now would you?

Otherwise, you should be listening for engine noise etc.

Or just be looking!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You haven't been to Thailand, if you weren't struck by a motorbike while crossing the road, as it suddenly appeared out of nowhere... (Was hit twice; once in Pattaya and then in Bangkok, despite looking left and right.)

Nonsense...

Been here 23 years, not even come close to getting hit by a motorbike.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You haven't been to Thailand, if you weren't struck by a motorbike while crossing the road, as it suddenly appeared out of nowhere... (Was hit twice; once in Pattaya and then in Bangkok, despite looking left and right.)

Never been struck by a motorbike and live here a long time. 

• Like 1

Was 1/2 second from probably death on Beach Road 2 months ago.  It is a one way street I wanted to cross for my walk.

Looking in the direction of the one way traffic to clear. It was clear, I started and at that moment a Thai on a motorbike came

racing in front of me going the wrong way against traffic.  His right mirror glanced against me. One more half step I would have been done. I will never forget it you never know.  Never get complacent here keep your head on a swivel at all times driving or walking near roadways.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Because it is of interest and why shouldn't it be mentioned in articles in English-speaking media aimed at foreigners?

Because I don't think it matters. Maybe mention age in case it's an elderly person who can't move quick or something.. Otherwise it's just someone crossing the street. Skin color likely does not matter either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You always get idiots every day who cross the road without looking or look the wrong way when crossing the road. I'm convinced they must be Yanks if they look the wrong way. Happens so many times on Soi Buakhao and occasionally on Beach Rd.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Every day I have farangs step out in front of my scooter, not facing traffic and taking for granted that I will stop. I usually issue a blood curdling "Wilhelm Scream" right into their hairy old ear as I pass a foot away.  Sometimes I wish I was driving my 8000 lb pickup from back home.  That'd knock some sense into them. 

There are loads of stupid farangs like that on Soi Buakhao. Stupid <deleted> crossing without looking or just strolling casually on the road without looking.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

looks like he is sitting on the "Central Island" he stepped off. And the motorbike is resting on, going by these photos he stepped into the ''fast lane''. Nice Trip hazard that unfinished Island init already for the holidays :post-4641-1156694572: Sue whoever is responsible for this dangerous piece of Thai s$$t, if he tripped which is more than likely. 

IMG_20231229_122853-1536x864.jpg.50c210f1e0f93a4bd1b9f3aa1bd1b93b.jpg

video_20231228_174734.mp4_20231228_194706.375-1536x864.jpg.5d62c47dbaac5fd6feb53337c152b49a.jpg

Sue?  That's not a pedestrian crossing. 

Old man needs to cross at a zebra crossing or at an intersection.

Jaywalking has consequences.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

At 52 you are not an old man anyone could catch their foot and trip on that even you sonny Jim. It has been left in a dangerous unfinished condition it is not illegal to cross a road in Thailand, jaywalking is not a crime here sonny boy. 

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

At 52 you are not an old man anyone could catch their foot and trip on that even you sonny Jim. It has been left in a dangerous unfinished condition it is not illegal to cross a road in Thailand, jaywalking is not a crime here sonny boy. 

Never said it was a crime.

It's dangerous, which is one reason why it's illegal in many cities.

So yeah, jaywalking has consequences.

Old guy FAFO'd.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:
7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

garnished" [sic] with,

See number 3 on the list.  I've read enough imbicilic comments from you. Time to employ the block function .

Pity (and ironically laughable) that when you're trying to refer to me as "imbecilic" you can't even spell the word!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Because I don't think it matters. Maybe mention age in case it's an elderly person who can't move quick or something.. Otherwise it's just someone crossing the street. Skin color likely does not matter either.

There was no mention anywhere in the article of skin colour, you brought that up.  Why did you do that?

18 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Nonsense...

Been here 23 years, not even come close to getting hit by a motorbike.

I have been here some time too, and had a couple of near misses......and I come from a country that also drives on the left, if that matters at all. Soi Buakhao, with no pavement for pedestrians on many stretches, is of particular risk.  

13 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

It makes no difference to these "people"

They don't respect the pedestrian crossing, and they don't seem bothered by the potential legal ramifications of driving over a pedestrian crossing with pedestrians on it.