Look left. Look right, Look left again-Brit hit by bike

Seppius

2 minutes ago, Guderian said:

cyclists must have a death wish

Something about guys riding bikes around Buakhao makes me want to lasso and drag them behind my scooter, like the Roman Tribune in Ben Hurr or hapless victims in old Western movies.  

If ever you're on Buakhao and witness such a scene you'll know that it was I, Bob the Gimp, who has the rope tied to his pommel.

I live in an area with lots of tourists. It's amazing what many of them do.

Like: There is a zebra crossing, just walk, the cars will see us and stop.

Or maybe not?

Obviously it would be nice if Thai drivers would care. And it would be nice if the Thai police would enforce the laws.

But that is not reality. 

Why is it so difficult for many tourists to accept reality?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I live in an area with lots of tourists. It's amazing what many of them do.

Like: There is a zebra crossing, just walk, the cars will see us and stop.

Or maybe not?

Obviously it would be nice if Thai drivers would care. And it would be nice if the Thai police would enforce the laws.

But that is not reality. 

Why is it so difficult for many tourists to accept reality?

We have the same issues in Texas when it comes to California transplants.  Which are more and more numerous.  They're accustomed to zebra crossings conveying right of way.  In Texas, all the zebra stripes do is tell you where it's legal to cross without a jaywalking ticket.  Traffic lights and common sense convey right of way.  Though I hear they're trying to pass laws Californicating Texas.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, WhatMeWorry said:

Life is cheap in Thailand and these people drive as if your life is also cheap.

And that is why it's a good idea to adapt to reality and take care of your own life.

"He was right" written on the tombstone is not good enough. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP7SM7cKRpDMR-vvOflGM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Pedantic, I know, but in the linked article it states that he stepped out from the central island, so any oncoming traffic would be from his left.

Unless Mr. Important drove against the flow, 'cause he couldn't be bothered to drive the couple hundred meters to the next legal U-turn.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

My closest calls when crossing a busy street like Thepprasit Rd is when a car stops to let me cross and then a motorbike in a blind spot comes around the side at high speed.

Don't ever take directions from another vehicle or a pedestrian. That's how a lot of accidents happen. They are nothing but moving objects that you are moving around. If they interact with you, you just say nothing and wait until it's clear.

Edited by JimTripper

4 hours ago, chickenslegs said:
6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Look left. Look right, Look left again-Brit hit by bike"

That could have been why!   For traffic that drives on the left, i.e. it will be approaching pedestrians from their right, it should be "Look right, look left, look right again".  

Pedantic, I know, but in the linked article it states that he stepped out from the central island, so any oncoming traffic would be from his left.

You're right and not at all pedantic but, having said that, I didn't make any judgements about the pedestrian in this case, I was commenting only on the terrible "crossing the road advice" that would generally apply!

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

There is another meaning. 

Yes, there is a second meaning, please find below... 

Meaning of gimp in English

- an unpleasant or stupid person: 

- a person with a physical disability. 

Still, not very flattering. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Seppius said:

Thappasit is really a death trap now, this guy was very careless, I never take my eyes off the road when crossing anywhere

I presume the modifications on Threppasit have reduced the incidence of riders on the wrong side of the road, or going the wrong way? (Maybe not). A frightening experience I had was a bike racing past stationary traffic I was crossing through, he was on the wrong side so I looked the wrong way! Dangerous place for pedestrians is Pattaya......

1 hour ago, Andre0720 said:

Really.

I was just thinking of how much moaning you can express on your posts....

Oh well, you could always follow your own advice...:smile:

It's always the complaining, moaners that make these comments,trying to justify their crybaby behavior. 

Grow up 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cdemundo said:

I would be happy if the motorcycles just stayed off the sidewalks/pavements/walkways.

I will gladly dodge them in the street but they always startle me on the sidewalk.

Didn't you notice the Thai's doing this before you chose to reside here?

Seems strange that people complain about these issues when they were doing this long before you people arrived. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

I was hit and floored from behind  while walking through a market, these idiots dont care, they ride fast where ever they go and have no regard for anyone else, the idiot just kept going  and even sped up so he couldnt be caught/blamed

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Something about guys riding bikes around Buakhao makes me want to lasso and drag them behind my scooter, like the Roman Tribune in Ben Hurr or hapless victims in old Western movies.  

If ever you're on Buakhao and witness such a scene you'll know that it was I, Bob the Gimp, who has the rope tied to his pommel.

Take them around once for me also, 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

Hard to comment without seeing footage.

Doesnt sound like he was at a crossing (as if that makes a difference!) so I see can the blame being on him.

looks like he is sitting on the "Central Island" he stepped off. And the motorbike is resting on, going by these photos he stepped into the ''fast lane''. Nice Trip hazard that unfinished Island init already for the holidays :post-4641-1156694572: Sue whoever is responsible for this dangerous piece of Thai s$$t, if he tripped which is more than likely. 

IMG_20231229_122853-1536x864.jpg.50c210f1e0f93a4bd1b9f3aa1bd1b93b.jpg

video_20231228_174734.mp4_20231228_194706.375-1536x864.jpg.5d62c47dbaac5fd6feb53337c152b49a.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Drag them down soi Pothole, that will sort them out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

I almost got smudged by a Thai bus.  There was a clearly marked wide crossing near major schools and universities.  I was almost to the end and he just clipped my backpack.  He will do it to the wrong person one day.

nearchuck.jpg.3f35389825d5003878455978952c3259.jpg

• Haha 1