R.I.P. Tommy Smothers

Jingthing

I remember watching the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour as a teenager on the family's black and white television.

For some reason, the routine that comes to mind when I think back is the one where Tommy goes on about the pumas in the cravices (crevasses).

Tommy waged war with the censors at CBS over political content criticizing the war in Vietnam. Tame stuff by today's standards, but cutting edge back then.

An icon of the late 1960s.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

You don't think the Vietnam War was controversial?

Lenny Bruce pushed the limits in night clubs.  The Smothers Brothers pushed the limits on network TV in front of millions, and made clear the degree in which the government was censoring television.  They were canceled for that, back when "cancel" meant losing one's job. 

Both Lenny Bruce and The Smothers Brothers expanded free speech by making it clear to America how much the government was censoring society.

That's hilarious. 

A lot of hippie humor has aged badly (talking to you, Cheech and Chong). And so has a lot of that soft, Bill Cosby, banal observational humor, of which "Mom always liked you best" being particularly laugh-proof these days. I recall the Bros more for having the white hot hippie acts of the day like The Doors on (even tho it was the worst Doors song ever).

Lenny Bruce -I loved his two books in high school, but he was terrible to watch or listen to on a record. He beat every bit into the ground, whereas in the books, his editors really helped him out. Dustin Hoffman in the film Lenny is much funnier and more bearable than Lenny ever was. Sort of like Joe Strummer: a one note try-too-hard.

For me, the comedy legend from Long Island is Howard Stern (one town over from Lenny). Just like Bruce grandly elevated my poor, suburban angst, Howard legitimized the crassness of idiots like me as worthy (see also: Andrew Dice Clay).