Is there any point in using high end weed to decarb for oil or butter infusions?

A recent purchase I made turned out to be too dry for ideal vaping so I plan on decarbing it to make cannabis oil with it.

(I just made my first batch of oil using my supply of already used vape but of course already used vape is already somewhat degraded.)

I guess my recent purchase was middle level stuff although obviously a bad deal as it's so dry. I won't mention the farm as I don't want to name and shame.

I'm liking the idea of transitioning more to edible weed from vaping because the "experience" is more intense and lasts longer. (I won't smoke.)

I do know when you decarb weed the strain differences / terps are degraded so I'm wondering if it's a waste of money to buy higher end product for this purpose, or not? Not really talking about brick per se, but perhaps lower grade popcorn type stuff that is sole quite cheaply, or something like that.

I don't pretend to know much about this yet, so kindly don't mock me for asking questions and trying to figure it out. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I'm wondering if it's a waste of money to buy higher end product for this purpose, or not? Not really talking about brick per se, but perhaps lower grade popcorn type stuff that is sole quite cheaply, or something like that.

the only difference will be the mg available for the edibles. 

ex - lower grade flower say 15 percent will only provide at max 150mg total cannabinoids per gram. 20 percent 200mg etc. 

so with higher grade you will need less for more effect. 

with the dry herb one thing to also consider is that depending how dry it is it may be turning to cbn now. many factors into that though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

the only difference will be the mg available for the edibles. 

ex - lower grade flower say 15 percent will only provide at max 150mg total cannabinoids per gram. 20 percent 200mg etc. 

so with higher grade you will need less for more effect. 

with the dry herb one thing to also consider is that depending how dry it is it may be turning to cbn now. many factors into that though. 

So if I'm understanding you correctly, any extra features from different strains other than potency are blanked out by decarbing?

So if I'm getting that, spending a lot for high end stuff basically isn't worth if meant for decarbing?

Just use more of the cheaper stuff, right? 

For an extreme example:

Weed at 500 per gram with high 25 percent THC.

Weed at 30 per gram with 10 percent THC.

Makes no sense to buy the 500 stuff for decarbing, right?

Oversimplified yes, but am I following the basics or not? 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So if I'm understanding you correctly, any extra features from different strains other than potency are blanked out by decarbing?

So if I'm getting that, spending a lot for high end stuff basically isn't worth if meant for decarbing?

Just use more of the cheaper stuff, right? 

For an extreme example:

Weed at 500 per gram with high 25 percent THC.

Weed at 30 per gram with 10 percent THC.

Makes no sense to buy the 500 stuff for decarbing, right?

Oversimplified yes, but am I following the basics or not? 

yep x 5

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

A recent purchase I made turned out to be too dry for ideal vaping so I plan on decarbing it to make cannabis oil with it.

(I just made my first batch of oil using my supply of already used vape but of course already used vape is already somewhat degraded.)

I guess my recent purchase was middle level stuff although obviously a bad deal as it's so dry. I won't mention the farm as I don't want to name and shame.

I'm liking the idea of transitioning more to edible weed from vaping because the "experience" is more intense and lasts longer. (I won't smoke.)

I do know when you decarb weed the strain differences / terps are degraded so I'm wondering if it's a waste of money to buy higher end product for this purpose, or not? Not really talking about brick per se, but perhaps lower grade popcorn type stuff that is sole quite cheaply, or something like that.

I don't pretend to know much about this yet, so kindly don't mock me for asking questions and trying to figure it out. 

If your stuff is dry, put it in a container with a small amount of orange or lemon peel. Then check again the next day. Magic. 
How exactly did you create your oil?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheFishman1 said:

If it’s dry, I usually take a little sponge and put a drop of water on it put it in the container and then the next day it’s very moist

Both suggestions worth a try I guess but I still think dry weed is still stale regardless.

6 hours ago, NextG said:

If your stuff is dry, put it in a container with a small amount of orange or lemon peel. Then check again the next day. Magic. 
How exactly did you create your oil?

I bought a Herbability Infusion and Decarb machine. I like it but figuring out doses is tricky. You need to start slow and experiment with any product.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I bought a Herbability Infusion and Decarb machine. I like it but figuring out doses is tricky. You need to start slow and experiment with any product.

You do seem to like gadgets and you do try to exert control where you cannot. 
How can you work out ‘a dose’ when you have absolutely no idea of the levels of activity in the source product in the first place?

Unless you are thinking about putting the product on sale, it really doesn’t matter at all. 
You just make a batch and then test it. You can decide which is your dose from that batch. Next batch; start all over again. 
Secondly, if I was going to do what you are doing, using cheaper weed, I would definitely utilise a process that washes the weed. If you ever ran the process through water, you would understand exactly what I mean. Especially with brick weed. It’s filthy. 
I don’t have any experience of the device in question, but where does the dirt go?

What can you tell about the results thus far?

Anyway, take a small amount of your dry weed and store it with a small piece of citrus peel and see how you like it the next day. 
Thirdly, don’t bother to buy premium product; trim will do if you can source it. I needed to make some a while ago to help with a tendon issue. Fixed it up nicely. Gave the rest away. Didn’t waste money on anything expensive as you can just take more, if one drop is not enough. 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, NextG said:

You do seem to like gadgets and you do try to exert control where you cannot. 
How can you work out ‘a dose’ when you have absolutely no idea of the levels of activity in the source product in the first place?

Unless you are thinking about putting the product on sale, it really doesn’t matter at all. 
You just make a batch and then test it. You can decide which is your dose from that batch. Next batch; start all over again. 
Secondly, if I was going to do what you are doing, using cheaper weed, I would definitely utilise a process that washes the weed. If you ever ran the process through water, you would understand exactly what I mean. Especially with brick weed. It’s filthy. 
I don’t have any experience of the device in question, but where does the dirt go?

What can you tell about the results thus far?

Anyway, take a small amount of your dry weed and store it with a small piece of citrus peel and see how you like it the next day. 
Thirdly, don’t bother to buy premium product; trim will do if you can source it. I needed to make some a while ago to help with a tendon issue. Fixed it up nicely. Gave the rest away. Didn’t waste money on anything expensive as you can just take more, if one drop is not enough. 

Got to disagree. Good quality heads makes good quality edibles in my experience.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Spock said:

Got to disagree. Good quality heads makes good quality edibles in my experience.

Yes, if you want to sell a premium product. Otherwise, what does it matter if you need to use a little more product in order to get the same effect?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/2/2024 at 7:15 AM, Jingthing said:

Cannabis is not psychoactive unless it is debcarboxylated. Three common ways are smoking, vaping, and cooking. So your question might be better stated "Do extra features from different strains differ by the method of decarboxylation?" Decarboxylation aka decarbing is the process of removing C02 molecules from the THCA/CBDA molecules, which renders them psychoactive. Actually, they will decarb naturally over time, but it takes a LONG time, that's why heat is used as a catalyst to make it happen quickly. Generally strains will retain their differences, but there may be some variation depending on the specific method. Cooking, whether raw or in food, is a good way to avoid putting smoke or vapors in your lungs. Ingest with fat such as oil, butter, etc. to improve uptake. Ingest on empty stomach for faster effect. Disadvantage is more difficult to judge dosage due to the latency effect.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I have a Herbability too. Following the instructions I have made coconut oil infusion using 10 baht per gram KD with excellent results. I have found it to be quite strong so 1/2 teaspoon under the tongue I find sufficient for a pleasant high. Those with a higher tolerance than my own may need a little more. 

Yes I recall reading about using already vaped weed addressing the question of whether you should separate the strains. It said no. It's all the same after being decarbed. I have been surprised as I use lower Temps to vape, usually Max 190 C that the already vaped week still packs a powerful punch. It's really easy to OD on edible weed if you're not careful.

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes I recall reading about using already vaped weed addressing the question of whether you should separate the strains. It said no. It's all the same after being decarbed. I have been surprised as I use lower Temps to vape, usually Max 190 C that the already vaped week still packs a powerful punch. It's really easy to OD on edible weed if you're not careful.

Yes you are right but if i take a little too much i just go to sleep sooner.

I am having all these great ideas when i get a buzz but i never remember in the morning.

Some people seem to be able to be stoned and still party,i just get very sleepy and mellow.

Used to take pills to get to sleep but this has to be a lot better for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I get given a lot of shake every month, just from bush grown crap.

Makes a nice cannabutter and even better choc brownies.

I hope that you wash it in the process 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah mate, 4kg into the frontloader washing machine.

I’m serious, if it’s dirty bush weed. You don’t need any fancy equipment, just water and fat during your processing. The dirt will be in the water and your active ingredient in the fat. Otherwise how do you separate it from the dirt?

Edit; Just wanted to post a reminder to myself to not accept any offers from you to try one of your choc brownies….replete with brown dirt 😊

Edited by NextG
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NextG said:

Up to you. I’m just trying to help. It’s your body. 

you are replying for the sake of hearing your own voice.

Iam not going to get into the ins and outs of my processes.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

‘Hearing my own voice’ when writing?

It’s increasingly clear that all that weed is not helping. Shouldn’t you be calm and mellow, whilst being open? Why the ‘crabby’ reaction to someone trying to help you?

Bush weed and brick weed is often filthy. Ask someone with experience like @stoner what he thinks or just eat the concentration produced from the dirt. It’s up to you. I’m happy that I at least tried to help you. 

19 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

We can discuss the process via PM, it’s not an issue. But if you are happy that your current process is the best for your health, then don’t mind me. But still ask yourself why you are quite so angry at someone offering help and advice. Is that how your parents taught you to behave?

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, NextG said:

‘Hearing my own voice’ when writing?

It’s increasingly clear that all that weed is not helping. Shouldn’t you be calm and mellow, whilst being open? Why the ‘crabby’ reaction to someone trying to help you?

Bush weed and brick weed is often filthy. Ask someone with experience like @stoner what he thinks or just eat the concentration produced from the dirt. It’s up to you. I’m happy that I at least tried to help you. 

blah blah blah.

Not sure what makes think you can help me (did I ask for help ?) when you have zero knowledge of what I do in my kitchen.

Now run along and annoy someone else..

Edited by Ralf001