'Knockdown houses' in Thailand : Pros and Cons?

On 1/3/2024 at 11:07 AM, KhunLA said:

Peeked at that option, and not a fan.   They aren't inexpensive for what you get.   If any wood in the construction, the termites will have at it, not matter what anyone tells you.

Location dependent, but land isn't cheap to buy or rent.  If knowing where you want to be, simply buy a condo if available, or rent.   Rent giving you all the options if not satisfied with any aspect of living in that location.

Of course, it depends on age, relationship, if having, available liquid funds.   I'm a thrifty shopper, and didn't see the financial advantage to them.

Retiring early (45), and RE savvy, buying made sense for me, but has many pitfalls for the inexperienced.  Buying (building) will always be financially better, if staying put for 5 yrs or more.  Does take a very trusting partner/relationship though.

If I came here at retirement age (65/66) Then no, I would have rented, instead of building, and maybe a condo if I found an area I liked.   Which hasn't happened, and no condos in the areas I prefer to live.   Rent is very inexpensive though ... location dependent.

Rule #1 ... never invest more than you can walk away from.

JC