Long flight - sleeping tablets

Got a 16 hour non stop flight coming up, did it before and tried some over the counter natural sleep aids (can't remember the name) but didn't work.

Anyone used any specific brand and found them to work?

Thanks not to suggest Mekong whiskey etc.

Thank you.

Really depends where you are flying from as to the availability of suitable medication. If you are departing Thailand then you will be able to obtain something suitable from any pharmacy. Just be mindful of where you are flying to in case you have a surplus of said medication.

When I am in Thailand I get a few Alprazolam (Xanax) from a pharmacy. I only tend to take ONE when I am flying from UK to Thailand on an overnight direct flight. Does the job for me. Have a great sleep, usually wake up around 2 hours before landing and don't feel too groggy.

Codiphen is a drowsy anti-histamine, readily available in Thailand. Ambien is a hypnotic, Xanax is a tranquilizer.

WE all react differently to medications, it's best to find the most effective one with the fewest side effects as individuals.

AFAIK Codiphen is not addictive, it is what I use occasionally for a good night's sleep. OTOH, Xanax can definitely be addictive.

23 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Ambien. But I doubt you can find it in Thailand. More useful than an Uzi under some circumstances.

Zolpidem. It's marketed here as Stillnox, in the US as Ambien.

I ask my doctor for a few tablets during a visit if I'm planning to go to the US. 

• Like 1

I tried melatonin it doesn't work.   Even tried ambian and couldn't sleep much.  Noise cancelling headphones no help.   I watch 3-4 movies and doze some.  Its hell for me.  Now that wife has 3 ling hauls she appreciates my trips to visit her more. 

I saw a druggie looking couple nod off soon after a 13 hour flight and sleep mouth open and necks bent so awkward most of the flight, I cant believe it didnt kill them.   I was a bit jealous.   For me its the high pitched whine of the engines and headphones dont block that vibration. 

Source yourself some alprozalam or Diazepam, either through talking to your doctor frankly - mine will prescribe if I request them for travel.  10 pills last me a year, theres no danger with infrequent use.

Otherwise find your local flexible pharmacist.

Sleep like business class :sleep:

• 2 weeks later...

20mg of Diazapam and its lights out. Avoid the booze though

Took them on Singapore to London on Xmas day 3 hours into a 14 hour flight and woke up with 3 hours to run

Right result and got 2 left for return flight this week

Sleeping pills can be difficult to get in Thailand, as too often used in  robberies on long distance busses.

I got some from my UK DR who described it as 'exactly the right way to use sleeping tablets.

Trouble is, they can leave you drowsy for 1-2 days after.

On 1/15/2024 at 3:52 AM, Robin said:

Sleeping pills can be difficult to get in Thailand, as too often used in  robberies on long distance busses.

I got some from my UK DR who described it as 'exactly the right way to use sleeping tablets.

Trouble is, they can leave you drowsy for 1-2 days after.

lol what does ??

Been there and done that and would never do it again!

Was working offshore 5 on 5 off between BKK and Houston for a year ended up getting bilateral pulmonary embolism post DVT and the Doctors reckoned it was thew fact I was using sleeping tablets to crash out

Problem is you're not in a bed and staying in the same position for 16 hours on a flight due to being comatose is dangerous hence how I ended up with the DVT. The blood clots could easily have gone to my brain rather than the lungs and for that I am grateful

Each to there own but I would never use a sleeping tablet on a flight again no matter how miserable it is