Walking stick users

I really feel for you.

I too have breathing difficulties and the 'puffers' are no longer effective.

I am lucky though. As you say - stairs, hills and slopes are my nemesis and I live on a hill.

Luckily, I am still OK on the flat. (I go to Chiang Mai Old Town every year and walk 20 kilometres a day  :thumbsup: )

I did not find a walking stick to be useful but I do have a younger friend who is asthmatic. She does use one at times when walking her dog. She says that it helps. It is not the traditional type of stick - more a longer pole with straps on the handles.

Have you had a pulmonary function test? that may identify some inhalers that could help you.

I was advised to have one and I had to go to Bumrungrad in Bangkok as they are very good. They prescribed a different inhaler for me and it worked well for six years but is less effective now as probably my lungs are deteriorating with age. I may go for another one sometime.

Good luck.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, poppysdad said:

I’m getting to the stage where getting out and about is very difficult, not a disability problem but a breathing one, some days I can walk a hundred yards before needing a rest and others ten steps sees me struggling. Slopes and steps are now my mortal enemy, I do have a wheelchair but there are many instances where a wheelchair is unable to be used such as today when visiting a newly opened floral park. Very uneven and soft ground simply not suitable but perhaps a walking stick might be of benefit. Any stick users offer any advice?

Can I suggest that you look up and download these breathing exercises from the UK NHS. They certainly worked well for me.

NHS breathing exercises

NHS breathing exercises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqfrbGtorBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYTZwBzjNC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flTsYNqCxOw

There are also NHS exercises for the elderly which can also be found on the internet. I have been using them since August 2023 after my second blackout the month before.

I use a walking stick that I bought through Lazada. I am now fitter than I have been for a few years. Around home and my neighbours I usually walk without the stick. Outside I take the stick. I can go up and down steps using a 1 2 3 method, where 1 is the stick on the next step up or down, and 2 3 which is normally left foot then right foot. I have a balance problem and the exercises for the elderly help me a lot.

Steps I can manage, escalators and travellators are OK, slopes going up are not a big problem, but coming down I often use my wife's shoulder to balance on.

I also have a folding Zimmer frame with a seat that has a rated load of 200kg. I am nothing like that weight but I am happy to pay the little extra for it.

If you need any more information, please don't hesitate to ask on this thread, as even if the information is no use to you, it may help somebody else.

Edited by billd766
corrected some bad spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

Because of disability problems been using a walking stick for over 24 years..

If you need one remember if you have a normal stick/cane = you have only 1 hand as the other is holding the stick/cane = nothing but a pain forever falling on the floor

About 6 years ago bought this one https://www.lazada.co.th/products/3-hospro-walking-stick-4-h-ws9321-i2275909994.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.55.4b0027e1d0MTVW 

it is perfect for my needs, can let go and it stands there

I do have a older one with has 3 feet but far to wide so never use other than on bad days in the garden,  have a very old walking frame came from the Hospital, never use, as the above 4 feet smaller type suits my needs fine.

There are many different types look to see what is best for you...   normal folding stick with wrist belt ?  normal folding stick with large base ? 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-adjustable-fold-walking-stick-i150215468.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.23.4da750bdKvOCE6   or 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/folding-walking-cane-with-led-i322882603.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.21.4da750bdKvOCE6 

just some ideas there are so many

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

I am recovering from as slipped disc. I have Leki walking sticks. I can navigate safely the uneven sidewalks.  I can go up and down curbs. I wish the Thai would respect their elders enough to put a handrail on the steps. How many times have I encountered no handrail?  It is dangerous.

Leki's are the best. You want sticks that are adjustable for height. Watch the YouTube videos to learn how to use them.

So true and many shops have high steps to their entrance without handrails . I have lost a lot of balance since a stroke and descending stairs is a nightmare . I have to walk down backwards whilst holding the handrail . No handrail ? then no way am I going up stairs . Lets face it Thailand has little consideration for pedestrians with disabilities . Uneven and sloping pavements are a big problem for me , also high kerbs . Wheelchairs in Thailand maybe OK within a hospital or airport but in Thai towns forget it .  To  Poppysdad  , have you considered an electric carriage that can be used on the road , thus avoiding the hazardous pavements ?

• Like 2

Sciatica and a twisted ankle forced me into getting a cane recently.  Siam Pharmacy on Ploen Chit in BKK has a few different ones on offer at reasonable prices.  There's a snazzy, electric blue, collapsible with 3 toes for 850 baht but I went for a plain, metal, 2 piece adjustable for 150 baht.  Does the job.

Edited by LALes

34 minutes ago, superal said:

So true and many shops have high steps to their entrance without handrails . I have lost a lot of balance since a stroke and descending stairs is a nightmare . I have to walk down backwards whilst holding the handrail . No handrail ? then no way am I going up stairs . Lets face it Thailand has little consideration for pedestrians with disabilities . Uneven and sloping pavements are a big problem for me , also high kerbs . Wheelchairs in Thailand maybe OK within a hospital or airport but in Thai towns forget it .  To  Poppysdad  , have you considered an electric carriage that can be used on the road , thus avoiding the hazardous pavements ?

I can agree wih you, some place i visited once thought the handrails were nice for a plant feature so had a pot on every step with trailing plants growing all along each side of the steps, rendering the handrails completely useless, OK nag over, us stick users just have to careful especially with the last step down which always seem to be much deeper than the previous ones!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

'have you considered an electric carriage'

how do they go up/down steps and stairs ?  as that is the main problem

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also suffer from shortness of breath and I have damaged hips, wherever I go I'm looking ahead to where I can lean on till the pain subsides, as for the shortness of breath I use these inhalers couldn't live without them they really do help whatever the skeptics might say. available almost in every shop.

IMG_20231015_144929.thumb.jpg.8cd3f1772f70261af8c9d6ca3560c757.jpg

IMG_20231015_144815.thumb.jpg.45c9f518b30525951048ef56bda74a00.jpg

Edited by brianthainess

I also have mobility problems. I can walk short distances unaided, but use a cane for balance especially if steps/stairs are involved.

If I am traveling a longer distance, especially if shopping in a store with limited places to sit, I use my Rollater (walker with wheels).  It has a seat, so when necessary, I can sit and rest without concern of there being no place sit down.  But, it is not good if stairs are involved - I can do short steps (2 or 3) as I can lift the front to the a higher step, push it forward a bit, hold the hand brakes (there is one on each handle that brakes to two rear wheels) and then step up. The hand brake is lockable to hold the Rollater to keep it from rolling when I start to sit down.

There are many on the market - some pharmacies have them and many are listed on Lazada. I bought mine a few years ago on Lazada. The price varies from around 3,000 baht up.  The one I chose cost 12,600 baht (more sturdy, large wheels for outside use, & most importantly, rated for a heavy weight - be sure to check the rated weight capacity for being able to handle your weight).  It has held up very well. It is also folds up, so it can fit in a car trunk (USA) or boot (UK) or back seat, etc.

Here is a link to Lazada for that Rollater https://www.lazada.co.th/products/0-10-wheelchair-rollator-circlife-2-in-1-alp3300-1-bcosmo-the-pharmacy-i173724234.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.26.74f515f8Vt5jBm - Using Google Translate for the Thai description, it shows: The vehicle weighs 7.6 kilograms and can support a weight of 135 kilograms. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lantern said:

^ Wow that's $500AUD

I'm sure I saw a group of them last time I went to the tip shop over here.

Will have to have a look next time I'm there.

Old Lady in the Village has one bought, from local Pharmacy under 2,000 baht

3 hours ago, ignis said:

'have you considered an electric carriage'

how do they go up/down steps and stairs ?  as that is the main problem

Steps & stairs are doable for me if there is a decent handrail but in Thailand , more often than not , there is not a handrail . It is only large shopping malls that have lifts and elevators that make easy access . Sorry to say that even with a good walking aid steps , stairs and Thailand pavements are a danger for those with limited mobility . Thailand has a way to go to catch up with western safety standards . I hope you find a solution if using a walking stick . Having your partner or friend to assist you could help . Good luck in your quest .

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I also suffer from shortness of breath and I have damaged hips, wherever I go I'm looking ahead to where I can lean on till the pain subsides, as for the shortness of breath I use these inhalers couldn't live without them they really do help whatever the skeptics might say. available almost in every shop.

IMG_20231015_144929.thumb.jpg.8cd3f1772f70261af8c9d6ca3560c757.jpg

IMG_20231015_144815.thumb.jpg.45c9f518b30525951048ef56bda74a00.jpg

where can you buy these and what is the name for?

2 hours ago, Lantern said:

^ Wow that's $500AUD

I'm sure I saw a group of them last time I went to the tip shop over here.

Will have to have a look next time I'm there.

As mentioned in my previous post, most are from 3,000 baht on up - and as mentioned in the later post, someone bought one for around 2,000 baht.   Like most things, you get what you pay for and as they say here: "Up to you".  

I chose one in the much higher price range to get what I wanted, but most importantly, to be one that would stand up over time with an acceptable weight capacity.  The one I chose (up to 130kg) was more than I needed, but having the higher capacity, would be more durable over time - I have had it for 10 years and it still works fine. There are many available in the Pattaya pharmacies (Fascino, D Pharmacy, and others) as well as other cities in a much lower price range. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, thaisabai said:

where can you get these and what is the name?

Any 7/11 most pharmacies, almost any shop as I said, even Ma&Pa shops, around 20b They come in various aromas. You can use them just as an inhaler, unscrew the end dab it on your upper lip or on your chest at night, on mozzie bites. around 3'' long. Thais use them a lot. I also have an umbrella/walking stick I got from Lazada strong and really cheap.

IMG_20240105_135627-Copy(2).jpg.d0b35a78051afc5819824049f8b45c95.jpg

9 hours ago, ignis said:

Because of disability problems been using a walking stick for over 24 years..

If you need one remember if you have a normal stick/cane = you have only 1 hand as the other is holding the stick/cane = nothing but a pain forever falling on the floor

About 6 years ago bought this one https://www.lazada.co.th/products/3-hospro-walking-stick-4-h-ws9321-i2275909994.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.55.4b0027e1d0MTVW 

it is perfect for my needs, can let go and it stands there

I do have a older one with has 3 feet but far to wide so never use other than on bad days in the garden,  have a very old walking frame came from the Hospital, never use, as the above 4 feet smaller type suits my needs fine.

There are many different types look to see what is best for you...   normal folding stick with wrist belt ?  normal folding stick with large base ? 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-adjustable-fold-walking-stick-i150215468.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.23.4da750bdKvOCE6   or 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/folding-walking-cane-with-led-i322882603.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.21.4da750bdKvOCE6 

just some ideas there are so many

I have one similar to the third one on your list from Lazada except that it only has 3 feet. It does stand on its own and Thais have a quiet smile when I talk to it, and tell it to stay or, walkies as I would to a dog if I had one.

The led light self destructed itself a while ago and the bits went everywhere and I never found the end cap, not that it matters as I don't often go out in the dark.

My walking stick cost 673.23 thb from Lazada

9 hours ago, Sharp said:

Look for wooden sticks they can ground you when not on concrete or roads worked wonders with my dad's circulation in his lower legs and feet.

That is confusing to me.

Wood is an insulator when used with electricity. Metal is a conductor of electricity. 

That is why if someone is connected to a live cable you use wood to free them and never metal. If you use a metal pole to move them away from the live cable it will bite you too.

Well, my problem is different I do not need a walking stick, I can walk OK on a flat surface, but I am afraid of steps or escalators. My last trip to LOS I only had 1 hour to catch a connecting flight in KL to BKK. There was no lift in sight (which I normally use) Had to step onto a bus to change terminals (the step into the bus was Verry high) don't laugh I had 2 broken ankles. I also avoid going to shops in Thailand which involves steps. You might find this funny, but I am not. If I fly now, I ask for a wheelchair which makes it much easier. Plus, you can use the fast lane. 

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

That is confusing to me.

Wood is an insulator when used with electricity. Metal is a conductor of electricity. 

That is why if someone is connected to a live cable you use wood to free them and never metal. If you use a metal pole to move them away from the live cable it will bite you too.

I don't think he meant electrical grounding but rather giving you stability. Walking on soft dirt surfaces (which seemed to be the OP's issue), a wooden stick will sink in slightly and help give you purchase.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I don't think he meant electrical grounding but rather giving you stability. Walking on soft dirt surfaces (which seemed to be the OP's issue), a wooden stick will sink in slightly and help give you purchase.

Thank you Sheryl

Now I understand.

On 1/5/2024 at 7:55 AM, Sharp said:

Look for wooden sticks they can ground you when not on concrete or roads worked wonders with my dad's circulation in his lower legs and feet.

Wood is an electrical insulator.  A wooden walking stick would NOT ground anyone unless it was wet.

A metal walking stick with a plastic or rubber tip will also  insulate anyone from the ground.