Annual Marriage Extension with new Passport question

I am about to apply for the annual marriage extension and am printing off my usual truck load of documents and noticed that every year, for the past 7 years I have had to print off copies of my passport translation, i.e. government stamped copies of my passport confirming it's authenticity.

The question I have now is, as I have a new passport and had the old stamps transferred to the new passport back in September, will they still require me to get this new passport stamped by the issuing government office as the old one was, or 

do I still provide them with the old government stamped copies of my old passport and provide that to them with my new passport.

I would assume that they would want everything as per normal, plus the new passport, but hey, you got to ask the question, after all, we are talking about over zealous immigration officers from my experience over the years.

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

as I have a new passport and had the old stamps transferred to the new passport back in September,

I don't understand how that is possible, your extension only lasts to the expiry date of your old passport. no need to get stamps transferred until apply for new extension. What PP do you have from which country? Many PP do not need translations. As with the OZ one. What IO is important if you want answers.

cancelledPPstamp.thumb.jpg.dff1aa7e9704ca1b44e9046339bd8b35.jpg

13 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I don't understand how that is possible, your extension only lasts to the expiry date of your old passport. no need to get stamps transferred until apply for new extension. What PP do you have from which country? Many PP do not need translations. As with the OZ one. What IO is important if you want answers.

cancelledPPstamp.thumb.jpg.dff1aa7e9704ca1b44e9046339bd8b35.jpg

Hi 

The IO in Bueng Kan says I needed embassy verified translation of PP coming up for first time marriage visa.

I hold Oz passport does that not need it as per your comment above?

Thanks for the inputs

1 hour ago, GregBow said:

Hi 

The IO in Bueng Kan says I needed embassy verified translation of PP coming up for first time marriage visa.

Thanks for the inputs

So If I understand you correctly this is the first marriage extension on your new passport, do you have your old one??? with the same stamp as the one I posted? I just put in the new PP number myself. having said that I have never had to have a "verified translation" ever, I don't even understand why they need it, can they not read English as in your PP ? But when I renewed my OZ PP back in Sept 22 you had to go to the OZ embassy in person, to apply, I understand now that is not necessary so maybe that has changed the goal posts. But personally I would try with your old translation, how long before your extension date, can you apply? 45 or only 30 days.??

First you need to find out how long it takes to get a translation, (if needed) and if they can do it by post or you have to attend the embassy, which may need an appointment. I would e-mail them first or maybe check out there website, in Thailand. Sorry I can't help more.

17 hours ago, brianthainess said:

My Passport expired in November 2023, I had the new Passport in September and had the stamps transferred then, my marriage extension expires 31 January 2024.

I have since spoken to immigration and they advised to bring the papers I have been using, i.e. copies of the old passport translations (Oz) and the new Passport and next year I won't need to use the translation papers for the old passport, as the new Passport will be a continuation of the old Passport, if that makes sense.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

My Passport expired in November 2023, I had the new Passport in September and had the stamps transferred then, my marriage extension expires 31 January 2024.

I have since spoken to immigration and they advised to bring the papers I have been using, i.e. copies of the old passport translations (Oz) and the new Passport and next year I won't need to use the translation papers for the old passport, as the new Passport will be a continuation of the old Passport, if that makes sense.

Good problem solved. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GregBow said:

Hi 

Thanks for the inputs

Every immigration office has different rules, so stick with what your immigration office requires.

For the past 7 years, my immigration office has always required, embassy verified translation of PP from the very first application, to the end of my old passport expiry date, e.g. expired in November 2023, I then went and saw them in September 2023 when I received the new passport and had them transfer the stamps to the new passport.

My marriage extension expires at the end of this month (January) and I called them as I wasn't getting any answers here on the forum, and the immigration officer advised me to bring all the docs as usual verifying my PP (old), and the new PP, but next year I won't require the verification papers of my PP (old), just my new PP and all stamped pages along with my photo page.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So If I understand you correctly this is the first marriage extension on your new passport, do you have your old one??? with the same stamp as the one I posted? I just put in the new PP number myself. having said that I have never had to have a "verified translation" ever, I don't even understand why they need it, can they not read English as in your PP ? But when I renewed my OZ PP back in Sept 22 you had to go to the OZ embassy in person, to apply, I understand now that is not necessary so maybe that has changed the goal posts. But personally I would try with your old translation, how long before your extension date, can you apply? 45 or only 30 days.??

First you need to find out how long it takes to get a translation, (if needed) and if they can do it by post or you have to attend the embassy, which may need an appointment. I would e-mail them first or maybe check out there website, in Thailand. Sorry I can't help more.

I did mine online. Printed the form and had some passport photos done sent by mail.

Also the old passport doesn't expire until 30 days after the new one is sent. 

I needed to transfer my stamps, immigration also stamped my old passport with a reference to the new one.

• Thanks 1

Just went through same situation in Annual Dec visa exp and previous received new PP in Aug…

the proper transfer stamp of current visa to New PP render no copies needed from old PP of anything…I still brought it along just in case

just received my marriage visa extension stamp 2 days ago after 30 days under consideration  stamp

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Thanks 1