It Has Been Said: We Are ALL Crazy. Is this TRUE? Why? How?

I don't know about you...BUT....

I am firmly convinced that all of us humans are completely crazy.

I have yet to meet or read about a sane human being.

What is meant by this phrase:  We Are ALL Crazy...???

For one, maybe this phrase reflects our understanding that our views are so bent by individual bias, including confirmation bias, etc....

And what about desire which leads to bias?

Although I am not asking about craziness related to our individual desires, I am asking about why our motivations contribute to our crazy thinking.

Also, the ways in which our emotions and needs contribute to our crazy thinking and perspectives on the real world.

And, to top it off, I am also alluding to Leon Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance which is probably one of the most important and influential concepts in ALL of Psychology, today.

So, what are your views concerning the craziness of us all?

Do you believe that we are ALL quite crazy?

And, in this new world of ours, one of nuclear bombs, and AI, and even more terrible technological potential for creating destructive weapons to destroy the crazy human race, will the CRAZINESS OF HUMANS be the undoing of us all?

You only need look on the streets of most cities in the US, and other countries, presumably, to see the craziness of our collective society.

Why not just FIX THINGS, anyway?

We have the tools to fix most things, quickly, if we wished.

And, why don't we, then?

Is it because we, collectively, are CRAZY?

By the way:  Do YOU consider yourself to be crazy?

Regards,

Gamma

Note:  No.  I'm not crazy....

• Confused 3

Collectively we're certainly a crazy race in terms of humanity as a whole, there's no question that we are considerably more insane than we are normal. Certainly we've shown ourselves to be capable of great things and great acts of mercy, but we've also shown ourselves to be capable of Intolerable cruelty and unbelievable hate. So are we crazy? Absolutely, are we redeemable? Yes definitely. 

Personally I consider myself to be ting tong mak mak, so somewhere in the neighborhood of crazy, and life is a lot more fun with an attitude like that. Crazy playful. Ha! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I think, maybe, this might have been just a meaningless and crazy comment, in the spirit of the craziness all around us.

I know it's all in the spirit of jest, just having some fun. What else is there if we can't have some fun? 

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I know it's all in the spirit of jest, just having some fun. What else is there if we can't have some fun? 

Without a bit of humor, life would be utter tragedy upon tragedy, so obviously.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You can't beat a bit of Slade...

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I don't know about you...BUT....

I am firmly convinced that all of us humans are completely crazy.

I have yet to meet or read about a sane human being.

What is meant by this phrase:  We Are ALL Crazy...???

For one, maybe this phrase reflects our understanding that our views are so bent by individual bias, including confirmation bias, etc....

And what about desire which leads to bias?

Although I am not asking about craziness related to our individual desires, I am asking about why our motivations contribute to our crazy thinking.

Also, the ways in which our emotions and needs contribute to our crazy thinking and perspectives on the real world.

And, to top it off, I am also alluding to Leon Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance which is probably one of the most important and influential concepts in ALL of Psychology, today.

So, what are your views concerning the craziness of us all?

Do you believe that we are ALL quite crazy?

And, in this new world of ours, one of nuclear bombs, and AI, and even more terrible technological potential for creating destructive weapons to destroy the crazy human race, will the CRAZINESS OF HUMANS be the undoing of us all?

You only need look on the streets of most cities in the US, and other countries, presumably, to see the craziness of our collective society.

Why not just FIX THINGS, anyway?

We have the tools to fix most things, quickly, if we wished.

And, why don't we, then?

Is it because we, collectively, are CRAZY?

By the way:  Do YOU consider yourself to be crazy?

Regards,

Gamma

Note:  No.  I'm not crazy....

I’m not crazy. But I perceive you to be. 
I think I’m not crazy because I can interact harmoniously with animals and humans in real life. Whereas I think most of your interactions take place inside your head. 
Of course that doesn’t mean that there is actually anything wrong with you. It’s just that you appear to live your life in a different manner than perhaps I do. You appear to think that you are a genius because all you do it to think. You focus all your energy in that direction. To an ‘extreme’. But perhaps learning when and how to not think is also ‘genius’. 
So not really crazy, but just a bit ‘narrow minded’ perhaps. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Collectively we're certainly a crazy race in terms of humanity as a whole, there's no question that we are considerably more insane than we are normal. Certainly we've shown ourselves to be capable of great things and great acts of mercy, but we've also shown ourselves to be capable of Intolerable cruelty and unbelievable hate. So are we crazy? Absolutely, are we redeemable? Yes definitely. 

Personally I consider myself to be ting tong mak mak, so somewhere in the neighborhood of crazy, and life is a lot more fun with an attitude like that. Crazy playful. Ha! 

It’s actually ‘ding dong’ 😊

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

ติ๊งต๊อง (Ting Tong) / Mad

Ting tong is typically used to indicate that someone is perceived as being a bit wacky, unusual or eccentric.

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/thailand/articles/15-thai-slang-words-to-help-you-speak-like-a-local

Thank you for this short Thai lesson.

I can really use this word, too!

17 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

ติ๊งต๊อง (Ting Tong) / Mad

Ting tong is typically used to indicate that someone is perceived as being a bit wacky, unusual or eccentric.

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/thailand/articles/15-thai-slang-words-to-help-you-speak-like-a-local

Personally I would not utilise the term ‘Ting Tong’ in esteemed company. This is to what, of course, was being referred to as ‘barstool’ by @Celsius

A lowly educated bar girl unable to enunciate ‘ding dong’. 
Please don’t use the term outside the beer bar. 

Edited by NextG

4 minutes ago, NextG said:

Personally I would not utilise the term ‘Ting Tong’ in esteemed company. This is to what, of course, was being referred to as ‘barstool’ by @Celsius

A lowly educated bar girl unable to enunciate ‘ding dong’. 
Please don’t use the term outside the beer bar. 

I once used my soup spoon to eat my dessert. I don't think I will ever recover from the embarrassment.

Just now, chickenslegs said:

I once used my soup spoon to eat my dessert. I don't think I will ever recover from the embarrassment.

You didn’t… did you? ☺️

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Personally I would not utilise the term ‘Ting Tong’ in esteemed company.

I think he actually was trying to say...REFINED company, or polite company, if he ever heard the phrase.

But, then...what would he know...?

Being the barstool plebeian that everyone here knows that G to be....

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I think he actually was trying to say...REFINED company, or polite company, if he ever heard the phrase.

But, then...what would he know...?

Being the barstool plebeian that everyone here knows that G to be....

Just my humble opinion, of course.

No, I meant esteemed. I didn’t realise that we had to parrot a particular phrase in order to be understood, rather than what I actually meant. 
I wrote what I meant. 
Nice try…. but a fail!

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Humanity as a species certainly acts as crazy.

As for us as individuals, some are more crazy than others, but IMO we are all crazy to some extent. Judging by the amount of money and time I spent on women, I musty be absolutely barking at the moon crazy.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No, women made me crazy, completely, absolutely.

Had I been born castrated I'd have been fortunate and wealthy.

As you know, in China, the eunuchs of the Forbidden City were often wealthy and powerful.

Still, it's not too late for you....

If you should choose castration.

You may, yet, be able to live a better life in your waning years.

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

As you know, in China, the eunuchs of the Forbidden City were often wealthy and powerful.

Still, it's not too late for you....

If you should choose castration.

You may, yet, be able to live a better life in your waning years.

Too late to become wealthy though and a prostatectomy does that job quite well without actually cutting any external bits off.