Witch

Monkey Fish

I was just learning the word for witch:

witch - N. - แม่มด

Syn. :: enchantress; sorceress

The only definition for มด that I can find is ant.

มด - N. - ant

While my literal translation (mother ant) makes it easy to remember, it doesn't make much sense. Does มด have any other meanings?

[definitions from Lexitron]

I read the article written by Aj. Chamnong that patri has linked to, but I disagree with some of his analysis. It seems more likely that it simply comes from Khmer. Khmer has the phrase មេមត /mee mʊət/, which corresponds to แม่มด in Thai, with the same meaning. But in Khmer, the word /mʊət/ means "to act in concert, to have a secret understanding; to inform in advance," hence a แม่มด is a female medium, i.e. someone who has secret understanding or advance knowledge regarding spirits.

I don't buy the connection to มตะ meaning "dead" that Aj. Chamnong claims. I wrote about it in more detail on my blog (which I'm told I'm not allowed to link to).

Interesting.

Follow up question. Is Harry Potter a พ่อมด? and/or a ผู้ที่มีเวทมนตร์?

Yep. In the Harry Potter books, พ่อมด and แม่มด are used for witch and wizard. I read the first HP book in Thai a few years back. I think "Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry" is โรงเรียนคาถาพ่อมดแม่มดและเวทมนตร์ศาสตร์ฮอกวอตส์. It even has its own page on Thai Wikipedia!

I think the word แม่มด in Thai is mostly colored by Hollywood movies--in Aj. Chamnong's article (from 1985, mind you) he mentions how the word แม่มด conjures in people's mind the lotion commercial on TV in which a witch asks her magic mirror a Thai version of "Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?" and the mirror (humorously) answers "ก็สโนไวต์นะซี"--"Snow White, of course!" (I presume it's because she used the lotion being advertised.)

He also mentions that พ่อมด is less common than แม่มด, but I think Harry Potter has probably upended this. His following in Thailand is as devoted as anywhere, if perhaps smaller, and Harry Potter has probably helped to popularize a lot of new (or previously more rare) terms and concepts. Things like "magic wand" ไม้กายสิทธิ์, "invisibility cloak" เสื้อคลุมล่องหน, etc.

Edited by Rikker

Another question:

Can you use witch แม่มด in the informal English derogatory manner for an old, unpleasant, woman?

(And what about พ่อมด , wizard, for somebody who is really skilled at something?)

I don't think either of those uses are idiomatic like in English, no. You might be able to explain what you meant by it and get it to catch on, though. :o