How “peacemaker” Thaksin is stirring up Thai politics

snoop1130

Tell me a Thai politician who is not corrupt, that doesnt mean that all of Thaksins actions are acceptable.

At least he did some good for everyday people and others, yes shame on him for getting into bed with the military but I am sure he has a plan that doesnt include them, wait & see!! 

I have a NZ friend who has very high standards, she worked with him closely for 5 years and spoke very highly of him and most of his family!! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

You might like to look back at the names the paymaster has used on others in the past.

Just one example, at a press conference (when he was PM) an international reporter asked him an awkward question, the paymasters response was to yell at the reporter 'IDIOT SCUM' and walk away.

Ah, I see. If somebody else is using bad language you are entitled to do same? That's very intelligent and logical 🙏

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He added that Thaksin returned to Thailand to face legal consequences because he is a ‘peacemaker’ who aims to foster reconciliation in the country.

Is Thaksin a peacemaker?

There are others powerful figures involved in the peaceful transfer of power and next 4 years.

Is he stirring up that politics?

Haven't seen any significant political movement. Most don't see this as an issue. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, bokningar said:

They don't care how this make Thailand look.

Who will ever trust the Thai leagal system after this?

Did you trust the Thai legal system before this? 😃

• Like 1

9 hours ago, al valio said:

The generals and Thaksin made a deal. They stay in power, he can return, and MFP is kept out. Simple and everyone can understand.

The rest (ill, hospital, yadayada) is just a charade (keeping face?).

The deal was likely not initiated by the generals.....

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Just one of many "miscarriages of justice" favouring the rich and privileged- e.g. Prawit and his watches fiasco, Red Bull "Boss", and one of the worst IMHO,  the complete illegal installation of 150 military senators ensuring the future of any "democratic" government in this country.

The 250 military appointed senators were legal and constitutional. What illegal was the 2014 coup which gave raise to the 2017 constitution. Fortunately the senator appointment was only transitory provision of the constitution and tenured for 5 years.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, candide said:

The deal was likely not initiated by the generals.....

Yes, it is easy to forget as it may not be spoken of openly, but all serve at the pleasure of and under the Table.

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, paul1804 said:

Tell me a Thai politician who is not corrupt, that doesnt mean that all of Thaksins actions are acceptable.

At least he did some good for everyday people and others, yes shame on him for getting into bed with the military but I am sure he has a plan that doesnt include them, wait & see!! 

I have a NZ friend who has very high standards, she worked with him closely for 5 years and spoke very highly of him and most of his family!! 

He's a crook (like the others), but at least was a competent crook. He also opened the Pandora's box of democracy by showing ordinary people their vote counted (I know, It's not really the case now under the Junta's constitution).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

The 250 military appointed senators were legal and constitutional. What illegal was the 2014 coup which gave raise to the 2017 constitution. Fortunately the senator appointment was only transitory provision of the constitution and tenured for 5 years.

The paradox being that this constitution had been designed.... to prevent PT from governing!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Stirring up what?

The unelected Senate and the legacy of the corrupt Junta are shamelessly still in charge.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  This couldn't be more adept a saying than anything in Thailand. 

11 hours ago, rtco said:

Oh for goodness sake what a whinging load of keyboard warriors but then that's nothing unusual for AN is it? Nothing better to do with your time I guess. I couldn't give a hoot. Learn to live with the law (or non-law) of the land. You are here on a Visa which entitles you to stay for as long as it lets you. Why worry about Thai politics, it's not going to change anytime soon. So go sit in your favourite bar, with a bottle in one hand and whatever else in the other, and just let the time while away the time until you meet your maker. It's not worth getting all up-tight about something that ain't your concern.

People living in a foreign country are not immune to the politics of that country

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, candide said:

He's a crook (like the others), but at least was a competent crook. He also opened the Pandora's box of democracy by showing ordinary people their vote counted (I know, It's not really the case now under the Junta's constitution).

And then he showed ordinary people their vote didn't count by joining the junta parties to keep out the clear election winners, MF. 

Shame on him 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, bokningar said:

They don't care how this make Thailand look.

Who will ever trust the Thai leagal system after this?

please tell me when you could've trusted the Thai legal system?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bannork said:

And then he showed ordinary people their vote didn't count by joining the junta parties to keep out the clear election winners, MF. 

Shame on him 

As I wrote, votes don't count any more under the current Constitution (to some extent). Nevertheless, the Pandora's box is open. The next Senate will not elect the PM any more, so the next elections will be 'normal' elections again.

Edited by candide

As a Canadian visitor, where we have our own political problems, I cannot comment on Thai politics.

I chat with some expat friends and soon we are talking about more serious sports like Football, hockey,

and such. Winter has arrived in most of Canada now, so i am looking to escape to hotter places soon.

Thailand food is great, people are mostly friendly and the guest houses and hotels are nice as well.