Tests

Can I request a Colonoscopy on its own, the Hospital want to give me a CT Scan and Endoscopy both which I have had in the last approx 2 years, approx 5 CT Scans all clear, Endoscopy 1 1/2 years ago nothing found, I have had every test Blood tests, Urine tests, stool test, EKG approx 5 in the last 2 years all clear, can I now just ask for the Colonoscopy, yesterday I had chest x Ray, blood test, EKG nothing found.

This is to do with my Abdominal pain which I have had for approx 2 1/2 years.

Doctor days "we have to do again to check" everytime I have had tests it's the same "we have to do again"

It's so expensive here.

Edited by Badrabbit

11 minutes ago, Iamloki said:

I have gotten quotes for Colonoscopy only... but have not had one done yet... So I do not really know - I would suggest going to a different hospital.

If you list where you live, people on this board will give you suggestions at to doctor/hospitals...

My quote for CT scan, Colonoscopy and Endoscopy is 87,000 to 125,000 depending on biopsy and analysis

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

My quote for CT scan, Colonoscopy and Endoscopy is 87,000 to 125,000 depending on biopsy and analysis

I am no expert... I would ask for an item list of the tests and charges... then call around to other hospitals.

I would also list my location so people on this board could better help you.

25 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

IIRC it is the anesthesia which makes the procedures so expensive.

It is possible to have an endoscopy without anesthesia. My GF had one that way, IMO it was very uncomfortable for her.

There is no reason a colonoscopy cannot be done in isolation. IMO the hospital is trying to make as much profit as possible.

Unless there are symptoms or a convincing family history, endoscopies and colonoscopies are usually recommended every five years.

I would suggest PM'g Sheryl for more qualified advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are those procedures outpatient here?

Just seems like they always want you to stay in the hospital for a few days after procedures that in western countries, you walk out the door or get a ride when they are finished. 

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Just seems like they always want you to stay in the hospital for a few days after procedures that in western countries, you walk out the door or get a ride when they are finished. 

Yes OP but you need someone with you as they say you should not drive for at least a few hours after, I suppose you could go in Patient if you want to pay extra.

Edited by Badrabbit

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If hospitals can't find anything could it be diet causing it? some intolerance going on? Crohn's or something else

I don't know, sometimes I think its worry and stress related as I worry just about everything.

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Usually your insurance policy only covers that sort of amount if you are an inpatient, even for one night.

40 minutes ago, CFCol said:

Usually your insurance policy only covers that sort of amount if you are an inpatient, even for one night.

Endoscopy and Colonoscopy are treated as day surgery so okay, CT Scan they don't normally cover as OP but in this case they have for some reason. 

They have not covered CT Scan before, don't know why they have this time.

Edited by Badrabbit

On 1/10/2024 at 3:01 PM, Badrabbit said:

May I suggest using a public hospital, a CT scan cost me 10k and around 6k for a bum cam.

To your question about requesting a colonoscopy on your own.  Yes you can tell a doctor you want one.  But if you are saying you just want a colonoscopy and no other tests.  Even though the doctor says you need them.  From your test history it sounds like you have an underlying medical condition and symptoms they are try to narrow down. And needs to be monitored. 
You can try to make your own medical conclusions.  And think they are just trying to make money on you.  But you are risking your health.  And that is up to you.  If you think the doctor is questionable.  Get a second opinion 

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

To your question about requesting a colonoscopy on your own.  Yes you can tell a doctor you want one.  But if you are saying you just want a colonoscopy and no other tests.  Even though the doctor says you need them.  From your test history it sounds like you have an underlying medical condition and symptoms they are try to narrow down. And needs to be monitored. 
You can try to make your own medical conclusions.  And think they are just trying to make money on you.  But you are risking your health.  And that is up to you.  If you think the doctor is questionable.  Get a second opinion 

I'm waiting for the tests to be done, after so long and so many tests with nothing found it plays on your mind.

I've had Blood test, EKG, X Ray blood pressure again all normal, just wish something would be found.

Edited by Badrabbit
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sounds to me like you have a lot of anxiety. I have to control mine as I tend to panic.Im managing better and better.  Such a lot of ailments can cause abdominal pain, I stopped eating too much bran fibre, no more pain, my niece stopped milk/ lactose, no more problems now 8 months.

Im very sure your DR is taking advantage of you. If they haven’t found something by now then I think they’re barking up the wrong tree. 

Too many colonoscopies are dangerous by the way !!!
Find your nearest good gastroenterologist ( maybe Sheryl will give you one in your area? ) and see him first. Make an appointment, stop worrying , and eat healthy. Cut out the grease salty sugary foods, alcohol, caffeine, get some exercise and fresh air walks. Then you’ll be feeling better. 
Don’t forget to show the new DR all your examinations in order and dated.

5 hours ago, geisha said:

, I stopped eating too much bran fibre, no more pain

Yep, these "healthier" options can be more difficult to digest, my stomach got fed up with wholemeal, soda bread etc, switched to white and much better, easier to digest

The Colonoscopy is the only test I have not had, I am convinced this test will reveal what my problem is, untill I have had this I can't think about anything else, I'm quoting Bindi Irwin(Australia) who had 10 years of Abdominal pain, she had every test possible and nothing was found, eventually someone mentioned to her to explore Endometriosis, they found that was her problem she is now better.

I mentioned this to the doctor, he dismissed it straight away, rare in Men but men can suffer from it, anyway untill I have had the Colonoscopy I can't think about anything else.