Ceramic coating

I’m getting new car soon, and the Honda dealership are asking if I want ceramic coating. It looks nice, but does anyone have any experience with it? Thanks. 

We have it on our Mazda CX5.....it does seem to add to the shine on the paintwork, gives it a nice glossy finish....I think!!.....long term I also hope it will also add to the protection of the paintwork....but not too sure that will  be the case.

• Thanks 1

If it's free, take it. If it's going to cost THB 20K, leave it. Or just do the front of the car to protect against chips.

The coating doesn't last that long, though. Couple of years. Speaking from experience.

If you don't do it, just get the car professionally polished and waxed (kat - kleuap) once a year - I had a CRV and local Honda dealer would do that when it was serviced, cost a thousand or so I think. They always did a really good job and the polishing got rid of all the little scratches etc.

2 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

If it's free, take it. If it's going to cost THB 20K, leave it. Or just do the front of the car to protect against chips.

The coating doesn't last that long, though. Couple of years. Speaking from experience.

If you don't do it, just get the car professionally polished and waxed (kat - kleuap) once a year - I had a CRV and local Honda dealer would do that when it was serviced, cost a thousand or so I think. They always did a really good job and the polishing got rid of all the little scratches etc.

Thank you. Good to know. 

1 minute ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Mr Kleane 03 Crystal Coat

R28C+Q6 San Sai Noi, San Sai District, Chiang Mai
On the middle ring road between the 1001 and 118.

I have had 2 cars and a pick up ceramic coated here.  Although the name has changed over the years, I last used them a year ago.  They do a great job even detailing the engine and interior. The initial cost isn't cheap, about 20,000 baht depending on vehicle size. No idea how this compares to the Honda dealers price.

They let you bring the car back about every 6 months (check w/them) and will do a "refresh" and detail if you like for 500baht. No problem with it lasting for years.
I only wash the car myself using a automotive shampoo and mitten first.  I rinse the car completely and then use a leaf blower to dry as the water just bubbles up and blows away. Avoids scratches and swirl marks on a blk car.

Truck-Swift (1).jpg

Thanks. They look very nice indeed. I’m being quoted 24,000 baht with 24 follow-up treatments and ‘guaranteed’ for five years. They also do a two-year deal for 18,000 with 8 follow-ups. I’ve never had it done before so I don’t have anything to compare it to. I’m in Bangkok. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Thanks. They look very nice indeed. I’m being quoted 24,000 baht with 24 follow-up treatments and ‘guaranteed’ for five years. They also do a two-year deal for 18,000 with 8 follow-ups. I’ve never had it done before so I don’t have anything to compare it to. I’m in Bangkok. 

Sounds good to me.  BMW and Mercedes dealer have used my recommendation, so Honda may use someone outside to do it.  Nothing wrong with that. I would go for it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, howerde said:

A ceramic coating will make the car shine beautifully and will make it easier to clean that is all, it will not protect against stone chips heavy scratches  etc, for that you need the car wrapped, if the car is left out in the sun then it might last a year, 

Thanks, all good to know. Fortunately the car will be parked undercover while it’s not being used.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Depends a bit too on colour of the car. Dark colours tend to show chips and scratches more than Thailand's favourite colour, white.

My current car (7 years old) is white, and the paint has faded slightly, which is one reason why I’m considering the ceramic coating. I had a full colour restoration done, but it’s still not as the original. The new car is red. 

Thanks everyone. I’ve decided to go for the two-year package and see what it’s like. I can always continue after if it’s really good. Thank you all again, much appreciated. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/12/2024 at 2:18 PM, silverhawk_usa said:

I’m being quoted 24,000 baht with 24 follow-up treatments and ‘guaranteed’ for five years.

I'm curious what that guarantee includes.

Will they just refresh the coating, or is that an agreement to repaint the car if the coating doesn't protect it and the paint fades or peels?

• Haha 2

On 1/12/2024 at 1:13 PM, Wiggy said:

Are the follow-ups free? We get it also done at the dealer. I think we pay around 1000 each time (we get it done at the regular service intervals).

Note: It won't stop stone chips if the impact is severe (I have one on my hood).

However, where there are minor marks in the paint (not deep scratches), they can easily be polished out. My crv is close to 5 years old and there are no scratches in the paint at all (ony the odd stone chip). A paint protection film can be stuck onto the front of the car to reduce stone chips. 

I occasionally apply a spray-on coating to keep the paint slick (meguairs has some products). see below

Overall, I recommend doing it.  Hondas prices are competitive with outside shops. You could always do it at an outside shop, its just more convenient to do it when get get out cars serviced. image.png.c34b89a3dc5af8860cb06bb93fe720dd.png

Edited by DavisH
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is also the option to wrap the front end and then ceramic coat all over ( including the wrap ). Won’t help with any damage from the rusty old pickup opening his door into yours in the car park but will help with stone chips from that old truck full of gravel who pulls out in front of you !!

On 1/12/2024 at 1:18 PM, silverhawk_usa said:

Sounds good to me.  BMW and Mercedes dealer have used my recommendation, so Honda may use someone outside to do it.  Nothing wrong with that. I would go for it. 

What does the ''follow ups... mean / include?

First, as others have said, don't believe their sales pitches about it protecting from chips and dirt just falling off.  It does none of that.  It does make it so you don't have to wax the vehicle to keep it shiny.

When you buy it you are usually given a card with some free reapplications about every 6 months.  You may be able to get a lower price for just a one time application.

22 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Jesus Id be more concerend by that awful orange peel than the  cat, ceramic  coating........hmmm  snake  oil imo

Just about every car comes out of the factory like this these days. Even a nice shiny black benz has it. Pearl white seems to hide it quite well. My suzuki swift, surprisingly, had very little orange peel (until I had it resprayed!)

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m not sure what the guarantee entails, but the price includes 8 re-applications over the two year period. I’m not sure if those are free or not. I realise it won’t stop stone chips, but most of my driving is in Bangkok, so hopefully that won’t be too much of a problem. I’m just hoping it’ll keep it nice and shiny for the time it’s on there. 

On 1/14/2024 at 2:29 PM, DavisH said:

Just about every car comes out of the factory like this these days. Even a nice shiny black benz has it. Pearl white seems to hide it quite well. My suzuki swift, surprisingly, had very little orange peel (until I had it resprayed!)

I got mine all cut  out, its  frikkin awful, Chevrolets  were quite  good till they bugggred  off and Fords and Mazdas were the worst

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/16/2024 at 6:10 PM, Rampant Rabbit said:

I got mine all cut  out, its  frikkin awful, Chevrolets  were quite  good till they bugggred  off and Fords and Mazdas were the worst

On a swift? what year was that car? Ours was blue 2013. We got it resprayed at the nearby nissan dealer as the suzuki dealer hos no spray facilities. They really messed it up and the orange peel was bad. And the actual blue was a little different than the original, s when we got a door and bumper resprayed a little later then didnt match properly. We offloaded it last year but still got 50%+ of the original price. 

Im a skeptic of these coatings.  And what about the ceramic UV reducing window coatings.?  Nah.     I do like the clear bra plastic film coatings on the front and mirrors.  It really does protect from small rock chips but not big ones. 

I just bought a Civic RS and they included that and extended service policy also a bunch of other accessories for free. They said ceramic coating can be done every 6 mo for 3 years after the initial application for 1000B. Ceramic lasts about twice as long as a good wax. The work is in the prep before coating, the application is a wipe on and hand buff with a microfiber towel. 1000b is cheap if they do a good job. I intend to go for the extra applications if the do a good job. It is easy to check just take a bottle of water and splash it on a couple places,if the water runs off they did a good job, as the finish wears off more of the water will bead up and eventually it will pool when it needs to be done again. Key to keeping the finish up is washing the car with a good quality mild car soap. If your buying a white car no matter how well you keep it up it does not have the same luster as a dark color.  The idea is to protect the finish and keep it looking good for as long as possible. It's up to you whether you think it's worth it.

• Thanks 1