Just when we thought that the traffic could not get worse......

17 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

Thailand relies heavily on tourism.

And Samui relies on it more than most but increased traffic could lead to more deaths.

Samui has one of the highest death rate per capita for motorbike riders, and the safari truck conveys are infamous here for being 'reckless'.

From a previous article

18 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

And Samui relies on it more than most but increased traffic could lead to more deaths.

Samui has one of the highest death rate per capita for motorbike riders, and the safari truck conveys are infamous here for being 'reckless'.

From a previous article

It's True about Samui!

I have lived here permanently for 14 years and been coming here since 2006.

I know a lot of nurses and doctors here and they have told me that they get a handful of casualties every day due to motorbike accidents....

I have also spent time in hospital here and seen many Victims myself on the wards.

I live on The Ring road and in "High Season" we hear about 10 ambulances going past daily!

2 or 3 Do Not Pass Go and Go Straight to the Morgue instead!

I have personally lost several friends and aquaintances here due to bike accidents.

It goes unreported so as not to tarnish the island as being dangerous! :shock1::sad:

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Per....As I said I know many Doctors and Nurses on the island.

I dated a nurse from Samui Hospital.

That's how I know!

You live in Maenam away from the Ring Road so you probably don't hear all the ambulances that we hear everyday!

That's also how I KNOW! :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

You live in Maenam away from the Ring Road so you probably don't hear all the ambulances that we hear everyday!

That's also how I KNOW!

So the patients in the ambulances you hear they all die?

There is possibly 60 severe traffic accidents every month but certainly not 60 road deaths, that is a huge exaggeration.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

Per....As I said I know many Doctors and Nurses on the island.

I dated a nurse from Samui Hospital.

That's how I know!

That's also how I KNOW! :thumbsup:

I live that close to the Ring Road that I can hear ambulances, but they sound the same no matter where they are going to. Do you know where the morgue is?

7 hours ago, lom said:

There is possibly 60 severe traffic accidents every month but certainly not 60 road deaths, that is a huge exaggeration.

Oh Really?

So I have to disbelieve what my Ex- Girlfirend and many other doctors and nurses that I know???

Obviously not every ambulance passenger Croaks It but a lot do!

Reaper.jpg

Over the years I have witnessed many motorbike accidents (some in Real Time), but most after the fact, but often with a corpse still in situ!

As stated previously I have lost many friends and acquaintences in motorbike accidents over the years on Samui!

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&sca_esv=599042207&q=chalk+lines+around+bodies+koh+samui&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiqtcrc7OODAxXFSkEAHV_PAkMQ0pQJegQICBAB&biw=1280&bih=539&dpr=3

Do you think there is some Banksy Type Nutter going around drawing body outlines on the road and then adding a bit of Red Paint just for a laugh????

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

I live that close to the Ring Road that I can hear ambulances, but they sound the same no matter where they are going to. Do you know where the morgue is?

Yes I do....It as the back of the hospital.

7 hours ago, lom said:

How the Hell do you know?

23 hours ago, khunPer said:

How do you know?

The number of road deaths counted pr. 100,000 population variates in Thailand, depending on how you count, as some statistics only counts died on the spot as death, while others includes people that died at hospital; for some countries that period is up to 30 days after the road accident.

The official Thai traffic deaths pr. 100,000 population is around 35, which for Samui would be 3 per month. Back when we had printed weekly or fortnightly local newspapers giving monthly status from the police, the official statement for Samui was 2-4 traffic deaths per month, which fit with the overall statistics.

Some years back one of the local news media and some expats tried to start a road safety group. It was said that counted by EEC standards – death up to 30 days after the accident – Thailand would have about 90 road deaths per 100,000 population, and Samui around 120, which is 10 per month.

The graphic below originates from the days when we worked on establishing the group...

image.thumb.jpeg.37de1d763f0b52260d6b79dd4a38e207.jpeg

You miss my point.....

Many go Unreported!

A bit like in the film "Jaws" where the mayor wants to keep the Shark attacks quiet and keep the beaches open so as not to Damage the Tourism! :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2024 at 7:53 AM, Troy Tempest said:

Yes I do....It as the back of the hospital.

And you see ambulances driving direct to the morgue behind Samui Hospital..?

On 1/17/2024 at 8:14 AM, Troy Tempest said:

You miss my point.....

Many go Unreported!

A bit like in the film "Jaws" where the mayor wants to keep the Shark attacks quiet and keep the beaches open so as not to Damage the Tourism! :thumbsup:

Guessing, when talking about unreported. Please read my post again about to understand EEC-rules, which is what I'm referring to...:smile:

• Like 1

I remember the days when they marked deaths with white paint on the roads, they stopped that, bad for business.

Ask yourself, why does Chaweng have five private hospitals (including the little one in Chaweng noi)

Live and work in Pattaya now, here the police enforce helmet and driving license.

Last Christmas on Samui, <deleted> scared to drive.

Traffic here in Pattaya is fast and furious, but people know how to drive.

Friend of mine used to work as insurance coordinator on Bangkok hospital told me that the owner of Bangkok hospital/airways told police to back off from checking driving license on Samui.

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2024 at 9:10 AM, Tropicalevo said:

From a previous article

Wait, you think cruise ship passengers rent motorbikes 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Wait, you think cruise ship passengers rent motorbikes 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I never said that. You assumed it.

I wrote

On 1/15/2024 at 8:37 AM, Tropicalevo said:

Welcome back to the safari truck conveys racing around like mini Alex Albons, as well as all of the heavy coaches and mini van convoys.

More traffic means more chance of inexperienced bike riders being wiped out.

Post Covid, Bangrak has changed drastically. What was until 2019 a fairly quieter, more laid back area has become a gridlocked nightmare, with cars and minivans parked all along both sides of the road. Almost impossible to find a parking space.

I think business owners saw that while Chaweng was dead, a ghost town, Bangrak seemed to potter along due to many expats living there. So they started investing there.

Now it is full of the usual cannabis shops, massage parlours, small bars, and beach clubs. Plus of course all the piers for boats heading to the other islands. More tourists, and an influx of long term stayers brings more traffic. 

Chaweng and the ring road near the Fisherman’s Village are always jammed.

Choengmon seems to be the only quiet place on this side of the island now.

Wait until they build their often mentioned bridge from the mainland and then the true traffic hell will arrive. 

On the subject of motorbike accidents. (I too had one.) I was talking to my doctor at Bangkok Hospital. After saying he must be really busy, with it being high season, he told me surprisingly “No. Not as much as before. I was doing around four operations a day, but not so much at the moment.”

I wonder if that is due to the lack of Chinese tourists.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1