Risk of bursting washing machine water hose?

OneMoreFarang

11 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

The hoses supplied with washing machines are thick and very robust, the potential weakest point being the metal clamp securing the ends.  In reality the actual washing machine connection internally is probably the weakest point, it usually being a push-fit rubber grommet on the solenoid valve.

The more flexible metal encased toilet squirter pipes are another matter, with a very thin pipe - the thick white versions are much stronger if less flexible.IMG_4352.thumb.jpeg.b5c2b9a981a35ceba656814a5a465bc4.jpegIMG_4353.thumb.jpg.e94a5e1b8fa8cdbcc44a0f4fc0155b90.jpg

I cut that fitting off.

and heated the pipe up ( boiling water) and put it on the out let with a jubilee clip.

lasts years.

• Haha 1

In my over fifty years of doing laundry, I have never closed the tap and have never had an issue hoses bursting. 

I think virtually everyone in the US that owns a home has a laundry room, and virtually no one has floor drains. Also, washing machines in the US typically have both hot and cold-water hoses, so twice as many. 

If I were concerned, I would add a solenoid valve between the tap and the hose. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about you? Is your washing machine water hose always under pressure? Did you ever have any problems with that?

Happened to me 40 years ago in my home country, luckily I had insurance that covered the damage to the shops on the floor below me.

Since then I fitted a hose burst valve

http://www.plumbingplustrade.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5238

36 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

In the UK, nobody shuts off washing machines or dishwashers.

Interesting point though.

In the U.K. I have never had rubber or foam pads disintegrating after a couple of years. In Thailand they do.

The takeaway is just because items function perfectly in one climate doesn’t mean they will function in the same way in Thailand. I have no idea why the Thai climate can do the things it does, but I am totally sure it is the climate and not the products. Certainly there are c*ra*p products available here that will fail but the items I am talking about are not those.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

In the U.K. I have never had rubber or foam pads disintegrating after a couple of years. In Thailand they do.

The takeaway is just because items function perfectly in one climate doesn’t mean they will function in the same way in Thailand. I have no idea why the Thai climate can do the things it does, but I am totally sure it is the climate and not the products. Certainly there are c*ra*p products available here that will fail but the items I am talking about are not those.

There are also vermin that can like the taste of more than cheese.  The rats will eat just about anything.  And you don't have to go to a dump to find rats.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

then I will have to have the water valve (behind the washing machine) open all the time.

Just like every other house in the modern word.🤔

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Just like every other house in the modern word.🤔

There is a reason for below instructions in Panasonic Washing machines manuals sold here:

image.png.f8ddc429e0108ca985b6b1d85a089ff7.png

image.png.4795e0756edcc9af6cfe9029dd0bb57c.png

• Haha 2

Thanks for all additional replies.

I decided I will replace the existing hose with a 3m hose, and I will connect that under my sink where I have a spare valve. Then I can shut that after each washing or whenever I feel like it.

I looked at the hose which came with my Electrolux washing machine. It is rated 15 bar and seems to be sturdy.

I just contacted Electrolux if they have a replacement hose same quality with 3m length. Let's see.

WashingMachineWaterSupply.thumb.jpg.fad3b3fbc4868c6772eaf8ceb50b3168.jpg

4 hours ago, ricklev said:

For peace of mind:  http://tinyurl.com/4pzd78vk or something like that.  They also make more expensive ones that will send you a message, I think.  http://tinyurl.com/4pzd78vk

Interesting. I didn't know something like that exists.

Here is the direct URL from your post.

Does anybody know if and where something like that is available in Thailand (in good quality)?

Reliance Floodguard Hose Burst Shut Off Valve 20mm (3/4") Chrome - FG501 (plumbingplustrade.co.nz)

FG501-228x228.jpg.43b165a22ff5a919b1e079e8a4051973.jpg

15 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Back on planet Europe our washing machine isolation valves and hose connections were located in the adjacent cupboard. Came in useful when a washing machine solenoid valve failed to close.

In the hindsight that is where I should have installed that valve. But somehow, I thought it's best to have it right behind the washing machine.

I will remember that for my next renovation - which will hopefully never happen. 

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In the hindsight that is where I should have installed that valve. But somehow, I thought it's best to have it right behind the washing machine.

I will remember that for my next renovation - which will hopefully never happen. 

Where I live all new construction has a recessed washing machine outlet box (WMOB) installed in the laundry room.  Has provisions for two faucets and a drain.  They are made of a plastic material, so do not rust out.  Flood Safe or other brands are highly recommended, especially if the washing machine is located on an upper floor.

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The key is prevention - not an alarm telling you that on return you will find a flood.

My Condo building in the US has monitored sensor wicks at every water access point. Somehow automatically advises the management who have emergency access keys , required by bylaws. Very sensitive sometime I got nusiance calls due dampness under the washer. Good idea my old 35 plus  year old condo residence in Hawaii had major problems from unit leaks

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all your comments.

I will have a second look how easy it is for me to use a valve which is maybe 2m away.

And I am pretty sure I will buy a water leakage sensor or two.

I have home automation and I will buy water leakage sensors which I can integrate. Then I can configure this so it will send an alarm to me if there is any leakage.

If there is a leakage and I am at home, then I know where the water valves are. And worst case, if nobody is at home, then I can call the building management and they can close the main valve to my unit.

Obviously, it's better to prevent any possible leak but such sensors might be a good idea and they are cheap compared to possible damage. 

I would be more worried about fittings than the hoses. I had a plastic elbow joint/shutoff valve  crack under bath basin, woke up with near ankle deep water on my bedroom carpet. Went thru the walls chase to a guy two or three floors down who then ”soaked” my owner with a claim in the thousands of USD

Replaced with metal, and new hoses all around.

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Where I live all new construction has a recessed washing machine outlet box (WMOB) installed in the laundry room.  Has provisions for two faucets and a drain.  They are made of a plastic material, so do not rust out.  Flood Safe or other brands are highly recommended, especially if the washing machine is located on an upper floor.

Where we live - in Thailand - most homes do not have a laundry room - have only warmish water - and most washing machines are designed to heat internally if hot water wanted.  Suspect most people would (rightly in my opinion) consider plastic taps as trash material.  Have never experienced a brass tap rusting out.

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Where we live - in Thailand - most homes do not have a laundry room - have only warmish water - and most washing machines are designed to heat internally if hot water wanted.  Suspect most people would (rightly in my opinion) consider plastic taps as trash material.  Have never experienced a brass tap rusting out.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I am talking about the box itself being made of plastic and not metal.  Some brands have knockouts for the pipping in case you do not need all of the holes.   The kind and quality of the taps is a personal choice.

Agree. Plastic taps are trash.  I only use them for my irrigation lines and only if installed in a covered box.  UV will surely shorten their life.

Edited by Hawaiian
Additional comment.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

There is a reason for below instructions in Panasonic Washing machines manuals sold here:

In modern car manuals, they probably tell you not to drink the battery acid🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

There are also vermin that can like the taste of more than cheese.  The rats will eat just about anything.  And you don't have to go to a dump to find rats.

If you have vermin ( rats) eating washing machine rubber pipes in a condo.

I suggest you call,  Rent o  kill.  

and also have strong words with the Jurassic person of the condo building. 

before moving out. :cheesy:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, quake said:

If you have vermin ( rats) eating washing machine rubber pipes in a condo.

I suggest you call,  Rent o  kill.  

and also have strong words with the Jurassic person of the condo building. 

before moving out. :cheesy:

Rat bait bars with diphacinone work.  WARNING:  Not pet safe.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I am talking about the box itself being made of plastic and not metal.  Some brands have knockouts for the pipping in case you do not need all of the holes.   The kind and quality of the taps is a personal choice.

Agree. Plastic taps are trash.  I only use them for my irrigation lines and only if installed in a covered box.  UV will surely shorten their life.

Totally misunderstood - have seen/experienced plastic taps and found nothing to like about them - my reading error.  Sorry.

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I've had a plastic clothes hangar on the balcony for 1.5 years- it suddenly crumbled into small pieces. Didn’t know that was possible.

Can envisage indoor v outdoor and of course sun exposure is a big factor with longevity. Maybe thats why the balcony washers tend to have the stop taps fitted.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Interesting. I didn't know something like that exists.

Here is the direct URL from your post.

Does anybody know if and where something like that is available in Thailand (in good quality)?

Reliance Floodguard Hose Burst Shut Off Valve 20mm (3/4") Chrome - FG501 (plumbingplustrade.co.nz)

FG501-228x228.jpg.43b165a22ff5a919b1e079e8a4051973.jpg

You did notice the requirement for Inlet pressure 200 Kpa min (which is about 30PSI?) and likely more than most people have with a closed tap.

9 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

I've had a plastic clothes hangar on the balcony for 1.5 years- it suddenly crumbled into small pieces. Didn’t know that was possible.

UV is quite bad here. Eventually, most simple plastic succumbs

• Thanks 1

The risk of a reinforced hose bursting is very low, more likely to spring a leak.

I always turn the supply taps of a washing machine off when it is not actually operating.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I looked at the hose which came with my Electrolux washing machine. It is rated 15 bar and seems to be sturdy.

I just contacted Electrolux if they have a replacement hose same quality with 3m length. Let's see.

Electrolux replied that they don't have a 3m hose and they can't recommend anybody.

I want a quality hose, but I have no idea about brand names for these kinds of products.

This is the hose on the machine:

WashingMachineWaterSupply.jpg.f5192d22276384ab83b6ebf3039ee1d5.jpg

I found something on Lazada which doesn't look too bad, but it's only 1.5m and I need 3m.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/2-15m-i4175056729.html

I didn't find anything on the HomePro site.

Does anybody here know a brand name product available online or offline in Bangkok?

41 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

This had 3 meter (up to 10 meter) size.  As for brand name even Electrolux is just a tag on name these days - different models made by different makers.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i3531876845-s13179388777.html

Thanks

But somehow I don't trust a product which is sold for 77THB - including profit margin for the manufacturer and seller.

Maybe Electrolux or other brands use the same product and just put their name on it. I don't know. I would expect that they have at least a better quality-control. 

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

But somehow I don't trust a product which is sold for 77THB - including profit margin for the manufacturer and seller.

Maybe Electrolux or other brands use the same product and just put their name on it. I don't know. I would expect that they have at least a better quality-control. 

OK  how about 225 baht?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-8-12-34-25-2-i2937286518-s15695534410.html?

And this seems ever stronger at 245 baht

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/25mm-spiral-end-line-washing-machine-washing-machine-dishwasher-top-load-line-washing-machine-washer-line-washing-machine-parts-washing-machine-hose-washer-line-i4955343027-s20831097063.html?

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1

Add me to the list of those who have had a washing machine hose burst.  In my case it was the hot water supply and I came home to a kitchen full of steam but it was a small breach so not a vast quantity of water although still enough to do damage.  There are accessible taps but even now I don't turn them off when I'm away.