Risk of bursting washing machine water hose?

OneMoreFarang

4 hours ago, still kicking said:

The water pressure in Thailand will not burst any hose it is too low I am in the west, and we have a much higher water pressure and never ever had a burst hose.

Dont forget most houses have a pump that is high pressure more than in the west

17 minutes ago, sometime said:

Dont forget most houses have a pump that is high pressure more than in the west

Not really true - even if they have a pump it is unlikely to be more than about 30 PSI max.  New York City is more than twice that.  But what Thailand does have is extremely high humidity and heat - both not good for rubber hose.

On 1/17/2024 at 6:04 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Electrolux replied that they don't have a 3m hose and they can't recommend anybody.

I want a quality hose, but I have no idea about brand names for these kinds of products.

This is the hose on the machine:

WashingMachineWaterSupply.jpg.f5192d22276384ab83b6ebf3039ee1d5.jpg

I found something on Lazada which doesn't look too bad, but it's only 1.5m and I need 3m.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/2-15m-i4175056729.html

I didn't find anything on the HomePro site.

Does anybody here know a brand name product available online or offline in Bangkok?

Why not just run PVC pipe back and add another tap and a ball valve? 

On 1/17/2024 at 8:04 PM, lopburi3 said:

Thanks, I bought them both and received them already. Both are exactly the same and they look sturdy.

On 1/18/2024 at 8:13 AM, lopburi3 said:

Not really true - even if they have a pump it is unlikely to be more than about 30 PSI max.  New York City is more than twice that.  But what Thailand does have is extremely high humidity and heat - both not good for rubber hose.

Today I measured the water pressure in my condominium in the 3x floor.

3 bar. I have all new water supply pipes. I am not sure if that makes a difference.

WaterPressure.thumb.jpg.c0cf8bf21c87fe4e9993000acc07effd.jpg

24 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

3 bar. I have all new water supply pipes. I am not sure if that makes a difference.

New pipes would have no effect on the pressure as long as the water is not running. 

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A condo - especially if newer - is not the normal home using a Japanese shallow water pump which was the post.  Most of those are likely to be in the 2 bar range (or less upstairs).  But even at 3 bar it is below most city water pressure in US.

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

A condo - especially if newer - is not the normal home using a Japanese shallow water pump which was the post.  Most of those are likely to be in the 2 bar range (or less upstairs).  But even at 3 bar it is below most city water pressure in US.

Unless the pump is on the roof, in which case you would add about 4.3psi (0.3bar) for each floor. 

I have never experienced a hose failure on my washing machines here.  That's because my housekeeper broke the machines before the hose could fail.

A more valid concern is your wife or housekeeper stuffing 5 loads of laundry into one load and breaking your machine or bursting the interior tub.

You will get very tired of calling laundry machine repairmen and having to fire your housekeeper after putting all the bedding in one load.

I would focus more on that issue.

1 hour ago, Mark Nothing said:

I have never experienced a hose failure on my washing machines here.  That's because my housekeeper broke the machines before the hose could fail.

A more valid concern is your wife or housekeeper stuffing 5 loads of laundry into one load and breaking your machine or bursting the interior tub.

You will get very tired of calling laundry machine repairmen and having to fire your housekeeper after putting all the bedding in one load.

I would focus more on that issue.

My gf is different. She won't do that. ;) 

• Haha 2

On 1/17/2024 at 6:57 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

In my newly renovated condominium, I have a water outlet behind the washing machine. This is in the kitchen between cabinets.

I put it there because I thought that would be the logical position. Connect the machine and fine.

But now I have second thoughts, because if I do that then I will have to have the water valve (behind the washing machine) open all the time.

I wonder how high the risk is, that one day, maybe long time in the future, the water hose might burst and then there will be flooding - without a drain anywhere nearby.

Did anybody of you have a big water leak with such a hose? If there is only a small leak, then I guess I will notice it, maybe the floor is a little wet, and then I can fix it.

My concern is the probability of suddenly a major leak.

I can't move the washing machine in and out after each use to close the valve.

What I could possibly do, is to extend the water inlet hose by a meter or so and connect that to a water outlet under the kitchen sink. That is a valve which I can easily access, and I could close it after using the washing machine and/or if I am away for some time.

How about you? Is your washing machine water hose always under pressure? Did you ever have any problems with that?

main-qimg-3c158a091f101d4f6cc75a2b2007f7

How high is the risk?

I live with a washingmachine for 60 years, I never have any problem with that and no I never have leaking hoses from my washingmachine.

So, please don't make a problem from something it don't exist.

Yes, I too may end up under a car tomorrow.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just ordered water sensors for my home automation. If there is a leak then I will be informed right away, also if I am not at home. So worst case I can call the building management to close the water valve outside of my condominium.

Is this all necessary? No. But it's a little investment for the peace of mind. And that is a good investment.

Aqara Water Immersing Sensor 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001145771136.html

Do note that the Aqara devices have at least 2 versions, if you have a Chinese version rather than a non Chinese, international, version (I know they all come from China)you may not be able to update the SW. it is quite possible to buy the domestic Chinese version from aliexpress 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

How high is the risk?

I live with a washingmachine for 60 years, I never have any problem with that and no I never have leaking hoses from my washingmachine.

So, please don't make a problem from something it don't exist.

Yes, I too may end up under a car tomorrow.

But suspect most of us have upgraded in the past 60 years.   : )

image.png.e95181522c814f04ee8e843d42adeb4e.png

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2024 at 12:57 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I can't move the washing machine in and out after each use to close the valve.

Put it on wheels and you can.

OR

leave the washing machine out far enough to get your arm down to the tap

OR

extend the wall pipe with an elbow and a piece of pipe to a tap mounted higher up.

I like to turn taps off if I'm going to be away.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Put it on wheels and you can.

OR

leave the washing machine out far enough to get your arm down to the tap

OR

extend the wall pipe with an elbow and a piece of pipe to a tap mounted higher up.

I like to turn taps off if I'm going to be away.

I turn the main water off when we leave for a few days.

• Agree 1

Never a good policy to leave a open valve to a washing machine hose when living in a high rise building for obvious reasons .

Move the washing machine valve where you can turn it on and off for when you want to use the machine and turn off after use .

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Do all you guys turn the water off to the toilet every time you're done? 

Not such a dumb idea living in a high rise building .

Ask an  insurance company what they think you should do .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

No - but there is a flow restriction tap and floor drain.

Can you link to the flow restriction tap? I'd like to get a few. They stop the water when a hose bursts? 

My shower is separate from the toilet, so I don't have a floor drain. 

30 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Can you link to the flow restriction tap? I'd like to get a few. They stop the water when a hose bursts? 

My shower is separate from the toilet, so I don't have a floor drain. 

They have such taps - believe was posted earlier (or another active topic but have not seen in Thailand and not sure if would work with low water pressure here).  What I mean is normal adjustable tap on wall for bidet - allowing adjustable flow to bidet (to keep it comfortable).  Most Thai homes I have seen are built with a separate floor drain even if they have an enclosed shower.  You could hook up a solenoid valve to your bathroom light switch as an automatic shut off (and they also have battery versions controlled by phone).  But have not seen any burst pipe passive valve (as available for gas supply) here.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wifi-smart-water-valve-water-auto-shutoff-valve-controller-home-automation-water-shut-off-valve-alexa-google-application-i4096849858-s16005665470.html?

Edited by lopburi3

They make hoses that have a valve inside that shuts off if there's a sudden pressure release in the line. I'm not sure where to find them here. They also have water sensors that alarm if there is water leaking on the floor. They also have electronic shut off valves that connect to those alarm sensors but now your getting up there in cost. I would definitely hook that hose to the valve under the sink if you can regardless of what else you do

28 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

They have such taps - believe was posted earlier (or another active topic but have not seen in Thailand and not sure if would work with low water pressure here).  What I mean is normal adjustable tap on wall for bidet - allowing adjustable flow to bidet (to keep it comfortable).  Most Thai homes I have seen are built with a separate floor drain even if they have an enclosed shower.  You could hook up a solenoid valve to your bathroom light switch as an automatic shut off (and they also have battery versions controlled by phone).  But have not seen any burst pipe passive valve (as available for gas supply) here.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wifi-smart-water-valve-water-auto-shutoff-valve-controller-home-automation-water-shut-off-valve-alexa-google-application-i4096849858-s16005665470.html?

So, you just have a valve on the toilet like most everyone else. Do you turn it off after you use the toilet? 

I use a solenoid valve to control the pump that fills my roof tank. 

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So, you just have a valve on the toilet like most everyone else. Do you turn it off after you use the toilet? 

I use a solenoid valve to control the pump that fills my roof tank. 

That's what I said - it is not set to allow but a fraction of full flow.  And I do have drain available to take out water from floor.

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That's what I said - it is not set to allow but a fraction of full flow.  And I do have drain available to take out water from floor.

Sorry, when you said "flow restriction tap" I thought you meant something special.