Sa Kaeo murder sparks debate over police transparency and leniency on teenage murderers

image.jpeg

The murder of a Thai woman in the eastern province of Sa Kaeo sparked a debate about the lenient punishment handed out to teenage murderers and raised concerns about the transparency of the Thai police.

The dead body of a 47 year old Thai woman named Buaphan Thansu was found in a pond near an abandoned petrol station in the Aranyaprathet district of Sa Kaeo on January 12. Her husband, 54 year old Panya Kongsaenkham, was arrested as the main suspect after he confessed to the murder.

While Panya was in police custody awaiting further legal proceedings, a reporter from Channel 8, Natdanai Narath, released CCTV footage of the murder to the public. The footage absolved Panya of the murder and implicated five teenagers aged between 13 and 16, who physically assaulted Buaphan until she died.

The five teenagers were arrested and admitted to the murder. One of the youths is the son of a deputy inspector general at Aranyaprathet Police Station, the police station handling Buaphan’s case. Another is the son of an officer at the Sa Kaeo Provincial Immigration Office.

Panya was later released. He told the media that he confessed to the murder under pressure from locals in the area. He insisted that no one forced or threatened him to confess to the murder.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ ข่าวเวิร์คพอยท์ 23

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The five teenagers were arrested and admitted to the murder. One of the youths is the son of a deputy inspector general at Aranyaprathet Police Station, the police station handling Buaphan’s case. Another is the son of an officer at the Sa Kaeo Provincial Immigration Office.

I can see where this will go already.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He told the media that he confessed to the murder under pressure from locals in the area.

He insisted that no one forced or threatened him to confess to the murder.

These seem to contradict each other,

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He told the media that he confessed to the murder under pressure from locals in the area. He insisted that no one forced or threatened him

Does that  even make sense to anybody with an IQ above the level of  a half wit ?         

Its a racing certainty that the hapless husband was indeed threatened and forced to confess, I just can't for the life of me figure out who might be responsible for such threats or indeed capable of carrying out such threats.

Meanwhile  " a reporter from Channel 8, Natdanai Narath,"  might be well advised to revue his own personal security arrangements 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I can see where this will go already.

Bet you weren't expecting "BigJoke" to stick his oar in.    Bin bags (in a persuasive capacity)  mentioned too ! just now on the news

Anybody watching the news tonight will be left in absolutely no doubt what punishment should be handed out to these feral savages, in fact they should have been terminated a long time ago,  Little shocks me these days but Jesus  these lot have managed it

So it looks like these kids have been terrorising the neighbourhood for a while and were also involved in the rape of a 19-year-old girl only to have it swept under the carpet, due to two of them having policemen as fathers.

Then driving and having access to a pickup between the ages of 13 and 16 years old, to remove and dump the body.

They were regularly out causing trouble, drinking alcohol and using Kratom, (and probably other substances too) no doubt well aware they were protected due to their fathers' being police.

Their parents must be proud of what they are bringing up.

One thing these kids know, and they aren't as stupid as they give the impression, is that they will be treated with kid gloves.

I have said before, they need to take a leaf out of the USA system and when they wilfully commit such crimes, knowing the likely outcome will be death to the victim, charge them as adults in the courts.

Only then will the message sink through their sub normal heads.

The word will soon get around, especially if it can't be swept away.

Like all thugs, they are cowards when they are on their own.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Thumbs Up 1

Now, emboldened by the apprehension of these savages, other previous victims are coming forward with reports of their atrocious behaviour,  a well known and very outspoken lawyer  is now on the case.  This is going to be very difficult to bury   I doubt that sending two officers (so far) to inactive posts is going to cut it.

wonder if this will affect the attitude of the Immigration officers there,   I for one have no intention of going there to find out   I never realised that place was so rough,

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

So it looks like these kids have been terrorising the neighbourhood for a while and were also involved in the rape of a 19-year-old girl only to have it swept under the carpet, due to two of them having policemen as fathers.

Then driving and having access to a pickup between the ages of 13 and 16 years old, to remove and dump the body.

They were regularly out causing trouble, drinking alcohol and using Kratom, (and probably other substances too) no doubt well aware they were protected due to their father's being police.

Their parents must be proud of what they are bringing up.

One thing these kids know, and they aren't as stupid as they give the impression of, is that they will be treated with kid gloves.

I have said before, they need to take a leaf out of the USA and when they are wilfully committing such crimes, knowing the likely outcome will be death to the victim, charge them as adults in the courts.

Only then will the message sink through their sub normal heads.

The word will soon get around. Like all thugs, cowards when they are on their own.

they will now try to pin the blame on each other, one has already tried to claim he tried to stop it all,  we can expect lies lies and more lies from all involved in this atrocity.....   straight out of the same mould of Venables and Thompson  there really is only one appropriate course of action even if they have to wait until they are 18  to do it 

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Agree 1

A classic example of the consequences of a total lack of discipline.  from the first time they got away with something the die was cast . To be honest I am surprised we don't see a lot more events like this.  wonder what our resident lefties will make of it all.   they will do well to convince me that these animals are the real  victims

• Agree 1

On 1/17/2024 at 9:27 PM, Bday Prang said:

Now, emboldened by the apprehension of these savages, other previous victims are coming forward with reports of their atrocious behaviour,  a well known and very outspoken lawyer  is now on the case.  This is going to be very difficult to bury   I doubt that sending two officers (so far) to inactive posts is going to cut it.

wonder if this will affect the attitude of the Immigration officers there,   I for one have no intention of going there to find out   I never realised that place was so rough,

I think the only 'justice' the victims or their relatives will get is to take the law into their own hands and get rid of these vermin by themselves.

• Agree 1