Thailand starts checking foreigners' passports on domestic flights

webfact

The validities of a pink ID are neither here or there. if its accepted its valid if its not accepted its not valid, Good luck to anyone trying to argue their case as the gate closes and the plane prepares for take off.  Its obviously a very subjective issue that depends on who one is dealing with

A 500 baht note may be accepted as a driving licence by some police, and by others it may not .  despite the omission of any writing on the back of it for guidance purposes

7 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Why,  just why, would you concern yourself with the activities of others that in no way concern you?

Tighten up everything, 1st World bound.......... 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Since it will be some months from now I probably won’t remember.

just try not to forget your passport , assuming you can remember where you left it

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have never had to show my passport for a domestic flight.  My Thai drivers license has always been sufficient.

You are an exception, very few foreigners have a Thai driver's license. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CANSIAM said:

Tighten up everything, 1st World bound.......... 

They are a long way from the first world  But is that what you really want ?  why for gods sake    

9 hours ago, sungod said:

You'd need your passport anyway if checking into a hotel.

Thai drivers license is what I use. No problems and no TM30 input by hotel. I know the license has my passport number but they require more details to submit a TM30.

Edited by ripstanley

1 minute ago, ripstanley said:

Thai drivers license is what I use. No problems and no TM30 input by hotel. I know they license has my passport number but they require more details to submit a TM30.

Yes agree, used my Thai DL checking in to a hotel in another province over the new year, no issues getting my 90 day online report approved today..........no hotel input

4 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

No but i wish I was,  but I bear no grudge against those who are,  despite being envious

Good to hear, you are here legit as I am, it's not too hard to abide by Thai Visa rules............

20 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

No ....

IMO....a Non-Thai ID card might be a UK driving license for example.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand has the following information - clarifies what that non-Thai ID refers to - as others have stated, it is the pink ID Card

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Good to hear, you are here legit as I am, it's not too hard to abide by Thai Visa rules............

Some of the easiest in the world!

Sadly, agents who bribe IOs to bypass immigration requirements are making things harder than they should be.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

The validities of a pink ID are neither here or there. if its accepted its valid if its not accepted its not valid, Good luck to anyone trying to argue their case as the gate closes and the plane prepares for take off.  Its obviously a very subjective issue that depends on who one is dealing with

A 500 baht note may be accepted as a driving licence by some police, and by others it may not .  despite the omission of any writing on the back of it for guidance purposes

I've never had a problem with my pink card at the departure gate.

The fact that I am over 50 has no bearing on the legitimacy of my stay here  I might be legal on the other hand  I might not.  You should leave it to the immigration authorities to concern themselves over that

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So is a pink card a non-Thai ID card? How would a Foreigner have a Thai ID card?   🙄

The "pink card" to which you are referring is a Thai ID card in the sense that it is issued by the Thai government.

There is the Thai ID card for Thai nationals and the Thai ID card, of pink colour, for non-Thai nationals. Images of both types are shown in the OP.

Edited by Puccini

Judging from all the trouble makers, idiots and security issues now days of people using air planes to ravel, I'm not

surprise and welcome it and a must steps, we can only blame those disrupting scumbags who like to think buying a ticket

gives them the right to behave badly... 

Edited by ezzra

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I've never had a problem with my pink card at the departure gate.

I believe you , and there is probably little chance that you ever will,  but we all know how things work here,  it would be a real pain in the ass if one day you are the only one trying to use the pink card instead of a passport and you are faced with the bitch from hell having a menstrual moment .  All she has to do is read the 1st line on the back of the card , take it literally, and things could become rather inconvenient,  personally I wouldn't risk it  

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Some of the easiest in the world!

Sadly, agents who bribe IOs to bypass immigration requirements are making things harder than they should be.

Well if they are going after exempt and tourist visa overstayers ( assume ) at Domestic airport checks, maybe it's a start to expand the search - 1st World style..... Agreed, an IO surely does not want to see you alone with all your paper work in order - hand drawn map from your place to where you are sitting, photo in front of your house number, seasoned 800k, etc.... for annual extensions for 1900 baht.......

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

The fact that I am over 50 has no bearing on the legitimacy of my stay here  I might be legal on the other hand  I might not.  You should leave it to the immigration authorities to concern themselves over that

That's what I'm saying, 1St World bound, brown bags will cease.........it's a slow process here.....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I believe you , and there is probably little chance that you ever will,  but we all know how things work here,  it would be a real pain in the ass if one day you are the only one trying to use the pink card instead of a passport and you are faced with the bitch from hell having a menstrual moment .  All she has to do is read the 1st line on the back of the card , take it literally, and things could become rather inconvenient,  personally I wouldn't risk it  

I always carry my passport in my carry on. As for point one on the back as I have already pointed out it also says it's an ID card. It seems it's an ID card which isn't an ID card which can be used as an ID card. TIT.

:WPFflags:

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand has the following information - clarifies what that non-Thai ID refers to - as others have stated, it is the pink ID Card

spacer.png

Duly noted, thanks.

The punk card us still not "an ID card" as stated on the reverse.

If CAAT want to recognise it as ID, and accept it for check in/boarding (and why not) then it is up to them.

I would just point out that I am aware of more than one instance where the holder was refused use of the card - on the grounds that it was only valid within province.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I always carry my passport in my carry on. As for point one on the back as I have already pointed out it also says it's an ID card. It seems it's an ID card which isn't an ID card which can be used as an ID card. TIT.

:WPFflags:

We are on the same wavelength :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

.............because they have spare time on their hands and can do that......

It’s a photo op they couldn’t refuse; prolly getting the vinyl banners made up as we read this 😂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

That's what I'm saying, 1St World bound, brown bags will cease.........it's a slow process here.....

Slower the better as far as i am concerned  I came here to get away from the so called "first world"  hopefully I'll be long dead when it finally arrives here

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I've translated the back of the card but that doesn't change the fact that pink ID cards have been used for years as ID in Thailand. If this isn't the case how can it be that everytime I fly domestically I show my pink card. Doctors: Pink card. Post Office: Pink card. Bank: Pink card. I haven't shown my passport since I got the card 5 years ago anywhere the pink card can be used. Can you explain this? Can you also explain how several other posters say the same thing? It would seem that it is you who does not understand and I may be wrong but I doubt you have one of these cards. What is on the back bears no connection with reality. Can't leave the issuing Changwat is evidence of this. And you just cant ignore the bit that says guidelines for ID card holders and then says it's not an ID card. TIT.

thumbnail (2).jpg

Interesting. Who's going to tell it to the CAAT?

Edited by Puccini

8 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Duly noted, thanks.

The punk card us still not "an ID card" as stated on the reverse.

If CAAT want to recognise it as ID, and accept it for check in/boarding (and why not) then it is up to them.

I would just point out that I am aware of more than one instance where the holder was refused use of the card - on the grounds that it was only valid within province.

I have now posted more than once where it says it is an ID card and it says it isn't an ID card. That's how I read it amyway. I've had no real problems in five years using it. Flying during Covid encountered a problem but that was at the other end and was sorted by someone senior to the security who had no clue what it was.

thumbnail (2) - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Do your best to look and find a male IO at arrival..........

18 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Well if they are going after exempt and tourist visa overstayers ( assume ) at Domestic airport checks, maybe it's a start to expand the search - 1st World style..... Agreed, an IO surely does not want to see you alone with all your paper work in order - hand drawn map from your place to where you are sitting, photo in front of your house number, seasoned 800k, etc.... for annual extensions for 1900 baht.......

They are clearly not going after anybody, at least not based on the content of the "news" article    that is purely supposition,   further more overstayers are not limited to visa exempt or tourist visa holders,  the  immigration authorities do not discriminate   nor do they care if one has a pink card or a yellow book , 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1