2 Polish women apologise for sunbathing in Chiang Mai temple

webfact

3 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Although I suppose that the media focus on foreigners because of the interest the stories receives from other foreigners 

And/or favorable attention from the conservative royalist/military establishment characterized in part by preventing perceived anti-nationalist behavior in order to continue as news media which is supposed to self censor itself?

4 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

If the first thing that you did when opening this thread was to look at their breasts in the photo , then you are a degenerate 

If you took a peek, and were so unimpressed that you didn't look ,are you still a degenerate ,Dr.Freud. 

I am definitely not gay, and probably still alive. 

5 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

If the first thing that you did when opening this thread was to look at their breasts in the photo , then you are a degenerate 

I too am a degenerate. These two Polish lassies are welcome to come and sunbathe by my pool, as far as I am concerned, but Mrs Dog may have some cultural objections.

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems the women still didn't understand that Thais like proper clothing, especially when dealing with authorities. 

They 'weren't dealing with the authorities'.... 'authorities were sanctimoniously dealing with them'.... 

i.e. they weren't called to a police station...  the police went to them...  It took 4 Police to visit what appears to be the accommodation they were staying (guest house?)..... 

• Haha 1

To be fair there is only one park in the whole of Thailand.  It's Lumpini Park or nothing.

We also have to realize just how hard it was to even see the two girls.  This means that some guy walked from the back of a temple stood on a high platform used binoculars and saw two figures.  He then proceeded to walk 10 minutes to the location and tell them he is offended.

If it is the one I think it is that grass area is huge and no one goes there.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

, Tourist Police officers searched for the two foreigners to issue a warning for their inappropriate act.

Officers found the foreign women at a hostel in the city centre of Chiang Mai province on Tuesday, January 16. They were identified as Polish nationals aged 19 and 20. Officers explained to them that what they were doing was against Thai culture and traditions.

That's a bit over the top .what about the Locals ? Just look at this will you, 

https://youtube.com/shorts/gKC5deDWtkg?si=lZVR7nPq8UdEFI6R.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The police can't enforce real laws, but have time to chase foreigners infringing cultural laws.

Might I suggest that you don't visit a country that you feel contempt for?
Would you wear this and sunbathe at the Vatican, or on your church lawn?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mokwit said:

Thailand never used to be this prudish (although it has always been conservative). Perhaps 'outrage farming' on social media is making it more of a thing.

This is my peeve, especially in Chiang Mai.  There are signs at the entrances to most temples.  Appropriate dress and behavior is just that.
Are these same people sunbathing/wearing swim wear at their churches/cathedrals/mosques/synagogues?
If you don't want to comply, there's absolutely no reason to visit temple complexes.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You should be thankful of that , imagine if the Thai Police arrested all the foreigners who broke the law , quiet a few of them would have long term jail sentences 

And if they arrest all Thais breaking the law they would have to build more prisons.

4 hours ago, Sig said:

"cultural laws", which aren't laws at all (but I know what you mean...). I think this is a case of simply people projecting their xenophobic, insecurities. They think their culture is superior and so they think that foreigners also think that their own culture is superior to Thai culture and thus become offended over nonsensical things.
I've seen Thai people sitting on lawns around Thai temples and there are commonly festivals at temples when people relax on the lawns, eating and drinking and OMG! They might even lay down while relaxing! They might even do it in the sun! Although usually in the shade... It isn't sunbathing, but what on earth is the difference. People are enjoying the peaceful atmosphere of the temple grounds, maybe even meditating, maybe while laying down. I didn't read of an issue being made of their clothes, but of their activity, which is not at all significantly different from that of Thais.
They do it, but foreigners cannot because only Thai people can behave in informal ways in areas that if held in a strict traditional view, could be considered inappropriate, and if a foreigner would do it, it won't be considered as only poor taste or just people behaving informally when maybe formal behavior may be preferred. Oh no! It's straight out offensive!
It's just another clear example of their projecting of xenophobia and insecurities.
Just for the heck of it, thought I'd include some shocking examples of relaxing on the temple lawns....
some, even while sitting directly in the sun!

IF you feel such contempt for Thailand, might I suggest you leave?
Your host country has rules, especially for temples.  
Perhaps you could comply or leave.  Easy peasy.

18 minutes ago, Shetraveler said:

Might I suggest that you don't visit a country that you feel contempt for?
Would you wear this and sunbathe at the Vatican, or on your church lawn?

I feel contempt for any primatives that believe in magic or ghosts or invisible friends. That includes the Vatican and the church.

These two ladies broke no laws, so it's nothing to do with the police.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

Thai culture loves dealing with low hanging irrelevant tradition violations but high risk serious issues like firework or road safety goes unabated…

waiting to read about another firework incident or bus accident 

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

How would you describe people who habitually stare at Womans covered  breasts when they are in public ? , 

Heterosexual males who are not wowsers or eunuchs.

10 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Of course since faces were obscured.

7 hours ago, Shetraveler said:

This is my peeve, especially in Chiang Mai.  There are signs at the entrances to most temples.  Appropriate dress and behavior is just that.
Are these same people sunbathing/wearing swim wear at their churches/cathedrals/mosques/synagogues?
If you don't want to comply, there's absolutely no reason to visit temple complexes.

Visit the grounds of Canterbury Cathedral on a sunny summer day and you'll se exactly that...  

In my home town which is very pretty, there a church with lovely sprawling grounds, people picnic there and sun themselves, shorts and tank tops in the summer not an uncommon sight at all....

So... Churches and Cathedrals - yes...    Mosques, well.... of course not - but with these attitudes its seems its those levels of extreme conservatism where some of society wish for us all (and Thailand) to be heading.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

No...   but after you mentioned 'them' I had to scroll back up to see if I missed anything.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Shetraveler said:

IF you feel such contempt for Thailand, might I suggest you leave?
Your host country has rules, especially for temples.  
Perhaps you could comply or leave.  Easy peasy.

You apparently completely missed the entire point of my post. And also conveniently ignored the facts re "rules" for temples and how Thai people treat these "rules" themselves. I even included pictures for the benefit of people who have reading comprehension problems or perhaps whose English is a second, third, or fourth language.
I spoke nothing contemptuous of Thailand. I don't know which category you fall into... perhaps English is not your native language or perhaps you need to brush up on comprehension. My post was not about Thailand. The context was regarding a very small sector of a fairly large country - busybody insecure xenophobes. Of course,  you begin with "IF" so as to give yourself some wiggle room, but the implication from the tenor of your comment can't be missed. Of course, feel free to suggest I leave. Perhaps you could leave common social intercourse, if you must read into things that people don't say anything about. It causes nothing but toxic strife and society would be better off without the likes of such presumptive interaction.
"comply" lol  As if things are so cut and dry as to have something clear and specific to comply to in this case. Besides that, what on earth gives you the gall to suggest that I don't do my best to follow social norms or mores when visiting temples???
How to say one is a woke leftist without saying one is a woke leftist? hmmmm Apparently it can be done in a few short sentences.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Shetraveler said:

These girls weren't in swimwear and they weren't inside the temple proper. They were on temple grounds, so in the strictest sense, perhaps they should have had more moderate clothing on, but MANY Thai men and women do just the same until entering the temple proper. It is not a major issue, as seen by Thai people's behavior. But if the temple thought things had gone too far, they could very easily go to the person/people and nicely inform them what they'd prefer of their guests while visiting. VERY likely, the person/people would be apologetic and quickly respond in like form. It's only an issue for people looking to make much ado about nothing, self-righteous judgemental people of no account who have nothing better to do than stir up division among society, making themselves feel so much better than everyone else. Meanwhile, blinded by their pride, they don't even realize that everyone around them has nothing but contempt for them.

Edited by Sig