2 Polish women apologise for sunbathing in Chiang Mai temple

webfact

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The police can't enforce real laws, but have time to chase foreigners infringing cultural laws.

You should be thankful of that , imagine if the Thai Police arrested all the foreigners who broke the law , quiet a few of them would have long term jail sentences 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ben Zioner said:

Tourists, please don't come to this uptight, backward place, it doesn't deserve you. 

They should have put up signs, "Please don't sit or lie on the grass while the monks surrender to their perversions".

They were sat/laying in an area which is semi out of bounds , it was mostly fenced off and wasn't really public access .

The area was fenced off to stop demonstrations and it was never unfenced off , so it was a restricted area

• Confused 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The efforts spent in Thailand to 'single out' the low hanging fruit meanwhile corruption and genuine moral destitution run rife is wholly telling of the underlying juvenile nature of Thai society. 

I don't want to Thai bash, but I can't see news such as this as anything other than pathetic, almost virtue signalling from a country in which lawbreaking and corruption is endemic and considered normal. 

I do of course object to anyone offending cultural sensitivities, but this really is the very thinnest end of the wedge of behavior that could be considered inappropriate here (from Thai's or foreigners)... I guess the more offending issues are such a norm they're not newsworthy... 

...But, stand-back and look at the picture...  Its ok to blast through red lights, not stop for pedestrians, have no consideration for disabled people etc, but watch the (apparent) outrage at the mistake made by two girls in shorts and a tank top laying in the sun in an area they shouldn't. 

The issue is with the media , they should focus on other stories and not report on any and every story (non story) that involves foreigners .

Although I suppose that the media focus on foreigners because of the interest the stories receives from other foreigners 

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

If the first thing that you did when opening this thread was to look at their breasts in the photo , then you are a degenerate 

I'm sure many of us resemble that remark.  You seem a bit of a prude Mr icp

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Thailand never used to be this prudish (although it has always been conservative). Perhaps 'outrage farming' on social media is making it more of a thing.

I've never heard of the phrase 'outrage farming' before...  BUT, IMO this is exactly what it is... 

The more the media run with these 'non-stories' the more society responds and looks out for such stories thus feeding the medial troll.

I have to make further comment here as people always want to take comments out of perspective.

I firmly believe people (whether foreign or native) should behave in a manner respectful of their surroundings, those around them, their environment - I also believe the issues we've seen in the news recently are 'insignificant' and hardly warrant the national media attention placed... 

• Haha 1

Never read bigger manure. If the semi-divine Thais in their semi-divine country with the above-the-lord hovering monks are sooo touchy and get insulted over sun bathing on a loan around the temple, then - for heaven's sake - put up sign boards in Polish, Mongolian and Rwandan about their sensitivity. 

Do you, honestly, think anyone would care if the same incident would have taken place on a piece of grass near a Christian church?

All this under the assumption, that the dirty farang women were wearing some clothes as nude sun bathing would be exceeding a cultural borderline. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1