Pickpocketed on the MRT

RuamRudy

21 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I thought I was clever enough and street smart enough that I knew how to handle myself. Clearly that's not the case.

exhibit A your honor...

22 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I had arrived at Suvarnabhumi around 5pm and took the train to Makasan then the MRT to Silom where I changed to the SkyTrain. I had a carry-on suitcase and my backpack slotted over the handles of my case.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good that the robbery was not too bad.

But I wonder why you would travel with all that on the Skytrain. It must be a nightmare to get it up and down the escalators or stairs. And for what? Saving 300B for a taxi or so?

Think? 

• Confused 3

18 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

Were they Thai?

I have I idea about the person behind me but the guy in front looked Thai, maybe mid 40s, balding, if I recall correctly, dressed in a smart sweater. 

Outside the MRT exit at Sukhumvit somewhere between that and soi 13 a bit further up the road there was a rough looking Thai lady sitting on the side, she had just pick-pocketed someone in my opinion, and was inspecting the treasures,  she was holding a Thai ID up to light and inspecting it, and then continued rummaging pulling out another card, and inspecting that, I was watching for a few seconds until she clocked me and thought I can't be doing with a yaba junkie at this moment a pint awaits...  It definitely happens around the MRT / BTS interchanges although this observation was Asok/Sukhumvit.

Edited by eyeman
  • Confused 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, eyeman said:

Outside the MRT exit at Sukhumvit somewhere between that and soi 13 a bit further up the road there was a rough looking Thai lady sitting on the side, she had just pick-pocketed someone in my opinion, and was inspecting the treasures,  she was holding a Thai ID up to light and inspecting it, and then continued rummaging pulling out another card, and inspecting that, I was watching for a few seconds until she clocked me and thought I can't be doing with a yaba junkie at this moment a pint awaits...  It definitely happens around the MRT / BTS interchanges although this observation was Asok/Sukhumvit.

I don't guess she could have have found a wallet on the ground and was looking for the owner?

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Also signs warning of sexual harassment and upskirt photos

Isn't it illegal to go out in public without underwear in Thailand ?  I'd say most Thai women employ

"belts and braces" when it comes to their underwear..very few go "commando"  yes of course some do :smile:  

4 hours ago, mokwit said:

Apparently you cant picpocket someone when they are moving. They have to be stationary.

You also can't pickpocket someone who has no pockets.

Or, for that matter, someone who is careful not to fill their pockets with anything but air.

I never put anything in my pockets when in public.

Consequently, in my opinion, this is the reason I have never been pickpocketed.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

You're not very streetsmart if you have a zippered bag behind you anywhere.

The only thing I do that with is my messenger bag and it's buckled shut and has an extremely strong velcro closure (ie It can't be opened without me knowing).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

The only thing I do that with is my messenger bag and it's buckled shut and has an extremely strong velcro closure (ie It can't be opened without me knowing).

You are right - but the first time in my 50 odd years this has happened so I guess I was getting complacent. 

As Bob Servant would say, I will learn from this...

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

17 hours ago, johng said:

Does this "vaccination passport" have any purpose now in 2024 ?  did it ever really have any purpose ?

Just FYI, in Germany (for example) you get a yellow vaccination 'passport' in which doctors record every single vaccination that you've received since you were born. Maybe he was referring to that. 
But, yes, the covid vaxx passport (which I also made an effort to get) has proven pretty useless. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Understood. Have a look at some of these bags. https://chromeindustries.com/products/citizen-messenger-bag

Better yet, check out Pacsafe Anti-Theft Bags. 

This company was started by two good friends of mine in Hong Kong and back in the mid 2000's I helped turn them into an e-commerce business. 

Excellent products that are sold here in Bangkok.

https://pacsafe.com/

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, CecilM said:

Just FYI, in Germany (for example) you get a yellow vaccination 'passport' in which doctors record every single vaccination that you've received since you were born. Maybe he was referring to that. 
But, yes, the covid vaxx passport (which I also made an effort to get) has proven pretty useless. 

That's the thing although mine was issued in the Netherlands, also yellow, but it's essentially the same thing.

20 hours ago, Elkski said:

Blaming the guy for taking public transport?  I often use public to and from the airport.  Amd yes with luggage up the stairs. 

exactly with the taxi maffia in place, better go with bts as far you can go

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You also can't pickpocket someone who has no pockets.

Or, for that matter, someone who is careful not to fill their pockets with anything but air.

I never put anything in my pockets when in public.

Consequently, in my opinion, this is the reason I have never been pickpocketed.

So where do stick your wallet, up your <deleted >?

17 hours ago, JimTripper said:

He was just getting off the train it seems it was on his other bag during transport. Please forgive him and others for their foibles.