Pickpocketed on the MRT

RuamRudy

OP ...  you should have had the backpack on you at the front when in any crowed area .. that way you have full visibility at all times,  I'd never let any pack or bag out of my sight, especially in Thailand.

This kind of thing never used to happen before. Now, my Filipina neighbour had her shoulder bag slashed with a sharp razor in the BTS. After the first slash, the thief couldn't access her wallet. The second slash was successful.

And 2 days back, coming from the airport, I gave the taxi a 1000 baht note to pay the first toll (25 baht), he returned me the change; and only later I discovered that he had quietly filched the 500 baht note from the rest. 

All signs of growing consumerism and wanting more, more.

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2024 at 3:17 PM, Elkski said:

Blaming the guy for taking public transport?  I often use public to and from the airport.  Amd yes with luggage up the stairs. 

Used it once...  and it added a 'slight element of convenience' but not a great deal of time saving (for me).

It was a 1 night trip, so hand-carry only - I'd never bother with more than that.

Transport to / From the Airport usually takes about 30-40 mins (home to airport). 

Rail-Link takes similar. 

- Transport to rail link: 10mins

- Wait for train: 5 mins

- Rail link: 20 mins

- Walk to check-in: 5 mins

The Rail-Link useful in periods of extremely heavy traffic (i.e. if landing at 5pm and wanting to go into Asoke central).

-------------

Back on Topic, thanks to the Op for this warning.

Many of us feel very safe in Bangkok and can easily drop our guard. 

I've been the recipient of 2x pick-pocketing attempts (in Prague and Barcelona) caught them both.

Both times I was drunk, but also, both times was walking in the street and on high alert because of the area.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And you were so scarred you were locked into that catatonic state and have been unable to mature since ???

They cut the bag, not me, how would I be scarred? I was disappointed, but it was an early lesson, and it has not happened since. 

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

do you think they will hand it in .....   Lol

No, but I have a faint hope that maybe they recognised that most of the contents was of no value to them, and discarded it. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Rail-Link useful in periods of extremely heavy traffic (i.e. if landing at 5pm and wanting to go into Asoke central).

As I stated in my original post...

34 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:
49 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And you were so scarred you were locked into that catatonic state and have been unable to mature since ???

They cut the bag, not me, how would I be scarred? I was disappointed, but it was an early lesson, and it has not happened since. 

I'm sure you're far more diligent and protective of your candy when out and about on October 31st these recent years....

(just messing with you of course Yellow... )

Back on topic...  I usually keep my wallet in my back pocket (its a very thin wallet, with ID and a card and cash), so takes up very little space but is at risk of pick-pocketing... 

... I have noticed that automatically, when going to a busier area I switch the walled to a front pocket... 

That of course, still leaves me open to pick-pocketing when I'm 'under a false sense of security'...   I guess for many of us, its just a matter of time...  Fortunately, pick pocketing is not a significant worry in Thailand. 

Edited by richard_smith237

58 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm sure you're far more diligent and protective of your candy when out and about on October 31st these recent years....

(just messing with you of course Yellow... )

Back on topic...  I usually keep my wallet in my back pocket (its a very thin wallet, with ID and a card and cash), so takes up very little space but is at risk of pick-pocketing... 

... I have noticed that automatically, when going to a busier area I switch the walled to a front pocket... 

That of course, still leaves me open to pick-pocketing when I'm 'under a false sense of security'...   I guess for many of us, its just a matter of time...  Fortunately, pick pocketing is not a significant worry in Thailand. 

I carry my wallet in my hip-pocket as well, but I most always wear trousers with a button on the pocket. 

If I were riding the BTS or some such I would pull my shirt out as well.