Judge in Trump case in Georgia sets hearing over Fani Willis conflict-of-interest claims

stats

59 minutes ago, dhupverg said:

Hiring a guy you are blowing may not be illegal, but certainly unethical.  

Accepting gratuities from him is illegal.  Plane tickets and cruises...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Sure, but my point is just don't think this is a godsend for Trump unless what I've been reading is  wildly wrong.

It is in respect to what the voters think about the partisan political prosecutions going on.  Every time, his polling numbers go up.

And I think the case itself is going to be a much bigger deal than the MSM media arm of the Dem Party is predicting.  You guys really need to start reading the right wing stuff.  If only to know what the enemy is thinking.

Lack of curiosity is not a virtue.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

If you are in Atlanta, and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution or AJC is running articles that there really is only 'scant' prosecutorial record for Mr. Nathan Wade and no record of his ever serving as a felony prosecutor in Metro Atlanta, you got problems.

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/atlanta-journal-constitution

2024-01-24_08h35_44.png.cc26e9c0194201d50355d57c6e3a1473.png

Edited by jerrymahoney

On 1/23/2024 at 8:32 AM, impulse said:

It is in respect to what the voters think about the partisan political prosecutions going on.  Every time, his polling numbers go up.

And I think the case itself is going to be a much bigger deal than the MSM media arm of the Dem Party is predicting.  You guys really need to start reading the right wing stuff.  If only to know what the enemy is thinking.

Lack of curiosity is not a virtue.

Right, and It's easy to know what the enemy is thinking! One just needs to watch RT website.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 2:26 PM, impulse said:

Had I don't this at work and the company found out it would be my last day there. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Had I don't this at work and the company found out it would be my last day there. 

It's getting worse for her.  She was actually pulled off of one case because the judge questioned her ability to be unbiased in a case against the political opponent of the candidate she had thrown a fundraiser for.

https://dailycaller.com/2024/01/23/fani-willis-removed-fake-electors-case-georgia/

And she's using public money to pay an internet consultant to measure her internet karma (for lack of a shorter description).

https://dailycaller.com/2024/01/23/fani-willis-media-coverage-contract-trump-probe/

That latter one may be okay, but it seems she's not interested in her office's stats.  Just hers.   And she had a hard time getting the county to foot the bill for a renewal.  So it may not be according to Hoyle.  I'm sure more will be revealed, because...

The deeper they dig, the more dirt they find...

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

It's getting worse for her.  She was actually pulled off of one case because the judge questioned her ability to be unbiased in a case against the political opponent of the candidate she had thrown a fundraiser for.

https://dailycaller.com/2024/01/23/fani-willis-removed-fake-electors-case-georgia/

And she's using public money to pay an internet consultant to measure her internet karma (for lack of a shorter description).

https://dailycaller.com/2024/01/23/fani-willis-media-coverage-contract-trump-probe/

That latter one may be okay, but it seems she's not interested in her office's stats.  Just hers.   And she had a hard time getting the county to foot the bill for a renewal.  So it may not be according to Hoyle.  I'm sure more will be revealed, because...

The deeper they dig, the more dirt they find...

Yeah, but she's a black democrat woman, so if she gets Trump, she'll be replacing Merrick Garland next January. 

• Sad 1

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2024/01/24/thats-the-guy-we-will-beat-00137517

A new book reveals that Sen. LINDSEY GRAHAM (R-S.C.) “threw Trump under the bus” during Graham’s secret grand jury testimony in the Georgia election subversion case.

According to secret grand jury testimony in Fulton County confirmed by the authors, Graham testified that if you told Trump ‘That Martians came and stole the election, he’d probably believe you.’

After Graham was finished testifying, he bumped into FANI WILLIS in a hallway and thanked her for the opportunity to tell his story. ‘That was so cathartic,’ he told Willis. ‘I feel so much better.’ Then, to the astonishment of one source who witnessed the scene, South Carolina’s senior senator hugged the Fulton County DA .

4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

According to secret grand jury testimony in Fulton County confirmed by the authors, Graham testified that if you told Trump ‘That Martians came and stole the election, he’d probably believe you.’

Great. I was way ahead on this one (26AUG2023):

BTW this was my analysis when the Trump - Raffensperger call transcript first became available.

DJT: I've heard that people are saying that 200,000 Martians landed in Georgia and voted illegally.

Respnse: Nonsense.

DJT: But that's what people are saying. And if only 10% of it is true, then that's 20,000 disqualified votes and that's all we need.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1304591-trump-surrenders-for-historic-fourth-arrest/?do=findComment&comment=18303983

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:
On 1/23/2024 at 2:26 PM, impulse said:

I am not sure if this is true under Geirgia law.

Neither just yet is commissioner Ellis:

2024-01-25_04h34_03.png.77756f3e3d403c0ef09e9d188574ad65.png

• Like 1

Why Fani Willis Should Step Aside in the Trump Case in Georgia
Jan. 24, 2024, 5:02 a.m. ET

By Clark D. Cunningham

Mr. Cunningham, an expert in legal ethics, is a law professor at Georgia State University.

The case against Donald Trump in Georgia for allegedly participating in a criminal conspiracy to interfere with the 2020 election is more important than any individual actor managing the prosecution, and that includes the Fulton County district attorney, Fani Willis, and the case’s lead prosecutor, Nathan Wade.

In recent weeks, Ms. Willis and Mr. Wade have found themselves in a spotlight that should belong to the serious charges against Mr. Trump. The two are the focus of a legal motion, and ensuing news reporting about a possible romantic relationship between them has explored whether it amounts to a conflict of interest with regard to the case.

I’m a law professor in Georgia who teaches ethics and who has studied the legal consequences that might come if Ms. Willis and Mr. Wade are found to have a conflict, and I believe the judicious and farsighted course would be for Ms. Willis to take a personal leave of absence and turn over control of the district attorney’s office, and the case against Mr. Trump, to a career deputy district attorney.

https://archive.is/rIGxz#selection-357.0-367.12

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/24/opinion/fani-willis-trump-georgia.html

Edited by jerrymahoney

Interesting tidbit from a previous case Ms Willis was removed from for conflict of interest:

“If Ms. Willis and Mr. Wade are dismissed by Judge McAfee, it will be up to a state agency, the Prosecuting Attorneys’ Council of Georgia, to appoint a prosecutor to take over from Ms. Willis,” Cunningham wrote. “And that’s where things could really go off the rails. Take one precedent: On July 25, 2022, Ms. Willis was disqualified from prosecuting Burt Jones, who was then a state senator, after she hosted a fund-raiser for Mr. Jones’s eventual opponent in the race for lieutenant governor. Eighteen months later, the PACGA still hasn’t appointed a special prosecutor, and Mr. Jones, now lieutenant governor, has not even been indicted.”

“Delay is not even the worst possible outcome for the case if Ms. Willis is disqualified,” Cunningham continued. “A special prosecutor could decide to reduce or dismiss charges against some or all of the defendants, including Mr. Trump.”

https://dailycaller.com/2024/01/24/legal-ethics-expert-calls-fani-willis-step-aside-trump-case/

Looks like prosecuting Trump is probably not going to happen before the election.

• Haha 1

Trump joins effort to oust Fulton DA, citing racial bias

Former president slams Willis’ remarks at historic Black church

Updated 16 minutes ago

Donald Trump on Thursday joined a push to disqualify District Attorney Fani Willis from prosecuting Fulton County’s election interference case, saying her defiant remarks at a historic Black church showed “racial animus” toward the former president and his co-defendants.

In a court filing, Trump’s two top Atlanta attorneys accused Willis, who is Black, of a “glaring, flagrant, and calculated effort to foment racial bias into this case.” That could unfairly prejudice a jury, they said, and violated Georgia’s rules of professional conduct.

Sadow and Little said Willis’ remarks violated Georgia Rules of Professional Conduct, which directs prosecutors to “refrain from making extrajudicial comments that have a substantial likelihood of heightening public condemnation of the accused.”

Trump joins effort to oust Fulton DA, citing racial bias (ajc.com)

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Trump joins effort to oust Fulton DA, citing racial bias

Former president slams Willis’ remarks at historic Black church

Updated 16 minutes ago

Donald Trump on Thursday joined a push to disqualify District Attorney Fani Willis from prosecuting Fulton County’s election interference case, saying her defiant remarks at a historic Black church showed “racial animus” toward the former president and his co-defendants.

In a court filing, Trump’s two top Atlanta attorneys accused Willis, who is Black, of a “glaring, flagrant, and calculated effort to foment racial bias into this case.” That could unfairly prejudice a jury, they said, and violated Georgia’s rules of professional conduct.

Sadow and Little said Willis’ remarks violated Georgia Rules of Professional Conduct, which directs prosecutors to “refrain from making extrajudicial comments that have a substantial likelihood of heightening public condemnation of the accused.”

Trump joins effort to oust Fulton DA, citing racial bias (ajc.com)

Trump plays the race card.

Priceless.

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Trump plays the race card.

Priceless.

I've read the Trump camp is more concerned about the Georgia case than the Jack Smith cases because, if re-elected President, he can't pardon himself if/when there is a Georgia criminal conviction.

At the least, all these indiscretions on account  of the Prosecution team is causing delays even Trump couldn't pull off on his own.

Sorta like the Brits would call an "own goal".

Edited by jerrymahoney

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

I've read the Trump camp is more concerned about the Georgia case than the Jack Smith cases because, if re-elected President, he can't pardon himself if/when there is a Georgia criminal conviction.

At the least, all these indiscretions on account  of the Prosecution team is causing delays even Trump couldn't pull off on his own.

Sorta like the Brits would call an "own goal".

But it's likely (assuming he can) Brian Kemp would, particularly if Trump wins Georgia. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

If Fani Willis' status in this case is impacted by interactions with Nathan Wade, then everyone she ever convicted will file for a mistrial.

So, Nathan Wade is going to take the fall.

Has she ever convicted anyone? She ran on getting Trump. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

"The chances of a successful disqualification went from 5% to .05%," wrote Kreis, noting that according to Wade's affidavit, "The relationship with Fani Willis started after his appointment as special prosecutor, the two have never cohabitated [sic], and travel expenses have been split between them."

The existence of a relationship between Willis and Wade, in and of itself, would not pose any legal conflict of interest, because the two of them are on the same prosecutorial team and their professional interests are aligned regardless.

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-fani-willis-affair/

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 4:26 AM, impulse said:

Splitting expenses with a co-worker on a trip is illegal?

Please provide the legal statute that informs your opinion.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saying DA's disqualification is 'possible,' judge in Trump election case moves forward with misconduct hearing
The judge seemed inclined to permit testimony from at least some witnesses.

February 13, 2024, 3:37 AM (Bangkok time)

The judge overseeing former President Donald Trump's Georgia election interference case says that it's possible misconduct allegations leveled against Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis "could result in disqualification," and that a hearing on the matter will proceed as scheduled on Thursday.

"I think it's clear that disqualification can occur if evidence is produced demonstrating an actual conflict or the appearance of one," Judge McAfee said in Monday's hearing. "The state has admitted a relationship existed. And so what remains to be proven is the existence and extent of any financial benefit, again if there even was one. And so because I think its possible that the facts alleged by the defendant could result in disqualification, I think an evidentiary hearing must occur to establish the record on those core allegations."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/fulton-county-hearing-fani-willis-nathan-wade-testify/story?id=107151886