http://www.thaiconsulnewyork.com/english/index.php

here is the link with requirements for O-A (retirement) visa

http://www.thaiconsulnewyork.com/english/vnon-a.php

concerns

1) i would like to know of any experiences applying for visas in new york city

especially retirement but i would consider other visa option suggestions please

2) according to the link you need the criminal record check

that must be fun to get

how do you get it and what happens if you have a couple of violations decades ago (1970's)?

(i actually got stopped on one of my many trips into canada and these things appeared on their records!!! they let me in anyway but labeled me a criminal!!! these were violations, not even misdermeanors)

3) i wonder how strict they are (about conforming to the list of required documents, etc.)

The consensus of most who have traveled the retirement extension of a non-imm-O visa is to obtain them after arrival in Thailand, where police checks are not necessary and the obtaining of a non-imm-O visa is reasonably easy to obtain from Thai Immigration, once you have entered the country on a tourist visa or entry permit on arrival, assuming you qualify and have the necessary funds in Thailand.

thanks

according to the site it is the O-A i am after and not an O, chai mai?

i forgot to mention a BIG point

though i am in thailand now

i NEED to visit the states and

i would rather not transfer such a large sum of cash into a thai bank account esp with the low exchange rate now

i would feel more comfortable with the cash in an american credit union at this point

3) i wonder how strict they are (about conforming to the list of required documents, etc.)

I haven’t seen any post by a ThaiVisa member about the O-A visa saying that

– the criminal record check, and

– health certificate, and

– evidence of the equivalent of 800,000 Baht in a bank anywhere in the world

was not required.

Therefore, it looks like you have to submit your criminal record check and see what happens. It does not necessarily mean that a small blemish in your record will result in the disapproval of your visa application. If you want to make sure beforehand, give the consulate a call first after you get the record and see what is written in it.

--

Maestro

I am from the US and just obtained my retirement visa just last week. The easiest way to get it is to get a 1 yr Non Immigrant visa, Type O from any Thai consulate in the US. You must have a non immigrant visa before you are able to obtain a retirement visa. When in Thailand, if you are over the age of 50, the only piece of evidence you need is proof of 800,000 baht in the bank for over a three month period. You don't need health certificate, police report, nothing else.

Over a year ago I tried to do it from the US also, the LA consulate. On their website was a list of requirements. And they wanted most of them notorized. What a pain. I asked my doc if he would get the certificate (letter) notorized, and guess what kind of look he gave me. Next to impossible to get everything the LA consulate wanted. The doc also said he would have to have all kind of blood tests run on me as per the requirement of the LA consulate. Would have cost a bit to get all the labs done.

In short, forget about trying to get a retirement visa from the US. Come to Thailand and apply.

One more important thing, if you are not over 50, you cannot get a retirement visa and also, if you don't want to have the 800,000 baht here in the baht, I think the other requirement would be to have 400,000 and then show a monthly baht income of 45,000 baht. Maybe some other TV member can correct me on this if I am wrong.

Jim

1. Although retirement extension of stay must be from a non immigrant entry that can be taken care of by Immigration for those on tourist or even visa exempt entry.

2. Medical reports still seem to be required from first time applicants at a number of locations from reports on forum.

3. The pension requirement is 65k per month and must be stated on a letter from your Embassy - or you can use a combination of pension/deposit.

I received my "OA" from the cons. in Houston, TX and would never have beleived the ease of getting it. For the Police check I went to the local police station and they did a wants/warrant search and then issued me a letter stating I had neither. (This was accepted) For the Med Cert. I went to the VA hospital and once again no problem and free just take a downloaded copy of the medical form with you.

For money I used my military tax form, and once again no problem. I strongly suggest getting the OA in the states and then doing your renewals here. Good Luck

Advocates for getting non-imm-OA outside of Thailand when it is so easy after you arrive in Thailand just seem to me to be out of touch with reality or gluttons for punishment or both. Perhaps they feel more secure getting the non-imm-OA before traveling?

By the way non-imm visas overseas are termed OAs and those obtained in Thailand are Os. Same visa.

I made a stab at getting one in Sydney and was told candidly by the staff member that each consulate and embassy make their own rules on what is required to get a non-imm-OA and posts on TV seem to confirm a wide variance of rules between various consulates and Embassies. She told me to forget about trying to get one from Sydney as I was not Australian.

I did it here in Thailand and it was a snap.

I just did it again this year in Thailand as my prior non-imm-O expired while I was in OZ. It was a snap!! Listen to lopburi3, he is the authority.

Advocates for getting non-imm-OA outside of Thailand when it is so easy after you arrive in Thailand just seem to me to be out of touch with reality or gluttons for punishment or both. Perhaps they feel more secure getting the non-imm-OA before traveling?

Or... perhaps they are reluctant to transfer a large chunk of money to Thailand at present, as the OP posted in bold print?

He didn't mention it, but there may also be a three-month wait and accompanying visa dance that accompanies it. (With a 90-day visa, it could well expire before the three-month money seasoning has ripened, requiring more effort that's unnecessary with O-A obtained overseas.)

Many retirees have high-yield bearing investments in their home country. To withdraw funds (perhaps with penalties) to put in even a 4% interest account in Thailand is something they may wish to delay. They can delay that by up to two years by getting the O-A visa in their home country.

There's often two sides to a story, if not at least pros and cons.

JimGant, I believe you are correct, honorary consulates cannot issue O-A visa, at least that's what I was told the the honorary consulate in Alabama in Aug 06. I obtained the Non-immigrant O visa from them back in Aug 06 and now just last week obtained my one year retirement stamp here in ChiangMai. It was a breeze. All I needed was my bankbook and a letter from that bank stating how much money I had in the bank. The letter cannot be over 7 days old, otherwise, they will ask you to get an updated letter.

No health check or police investigation was required. It was my first retirement stamp ever.

No health check ... was required. It was my first retirement stamp ever.

Nice to hear *some* Immigration Offices aren't asking first-timers for a health certificate (as some have reported).

So, if you have Leprosy, and no joint account, CM is the place to go.

Out of curiosity, I sent an Email, on 7/22/07, to the Houston Honorary Thai Consulate:

Has policy on honorary Thai consulates issuing Non Immigrant O-A (long-stay retirement) visas been changed? I know at one time Houston, as well as several other honorary consulates, had issued such visas; but rumor has it that applicants now have to apply through an MFA consulate, or to the Thai Embassy(?).

Here's what I got back from Julie Richardson, the Honorary Vice Consul:

We are still issuing Retirement Visas. We have been given no instructions otherwise.

Houston is a real pleasure to work with -- I know personally, at least as it pertains to a Non Imm O (not an O-A). Read both 'retiredusn' and 'wpcoe' above. Then, seriously consider Houston as an option if what you read resonates. They're very accomodating, both via phone or mail. To contact, see:

Honorary Thai Consulates

• 3 months later...

I very much concur with the above comments about the Honorary Consulate in Houston Tx. I got my multiple entry, non-imm. B visa through them a few months ago, with help from Sunbelt Asia. I transacted with the consulate from Los Angeles by mail, and they were fast and efficient. Everything went smoothly as promised. I'm glad to hear they also can do retirement visas...for my time will come in a few years. --John (formerly) from Los Angeles

hmmm

the mail to texas i suppose is another option but probably not necessary, not sure

if my memory serves me correctly:

i have heard nothing on this forum from anyone about the new york embassy

but, well, im not the sharpest knife in the drawer :o and could be missing something(s)

if i didnt have computer issues i could do better searches, sorry,

anyway looking for recent and timely updates as well

hard to believe of all those reading this forum that no one has experience with the new york city embassy (with any visa) (especially in the not so distant past if possible, but hey any news at all would be nice)

then again anything is possible

new york anyone???

thanks everyone for all of your help past, present, and FUTURE :D

please bear with my fobiles

'to err is...'

here is a general link

http://www.thaiconsulnewyork.com/english/index.php

here is the link with requirements for O-A (retirement) visa

http://www.thaiconsulnewyork.com/english/vnon-a.php

concerns

1) i would like to know of any experiences applying for visas in new york city

especially retirement but i would consider other visa option suggestions please

2) according to the link you need the criminal record check

that must be fun to get

how do you get it and what happens if you have a couple of violations decades ago (1970's)?

(i actually got stopped on one of my many trips into canada and these things appeared on their records!!! they let me in anyway but labeled me a criminal!!! these were violations, not even misdermeanors)

I received retirement visas from NY Consulate twice in past two years and they were great as long as you give them the required documention which includes current medical report and a police report (they accepted police report from prior year). If you have any questions either call them or send a letter- I found that they do not respond to e-mails.