Would You Send YOUR Child/Grandchild to a...School in China?

On 1/21/2024 at 4:09 PM, Chris Daley said:

Thailand - First class 7:40.  Last class 16:00.

China - First class 8:10.  Last class 16:40

I have studied with Thai and Chinese students and the Thai student absolutely obliterated Chinese students.  The Thai students can speak Thai, English and Chinese.  The Chinese can only speak rural Chinese.  They sit in every class in total silence.  They lacked even basic primary school grammar.  The teacher had to teach them how to write the days of the week because they kept saying 'day 2' 'day 5'.  This was at university level.

Chinese schools are all show but when it comes down to it Thai students would crush them in math, English, and science.

I taught 1st year university in Zhengzhou, China. Chapter 1 in the textbook started with learning the days of the week. This is how far they'd come when they started learning English in Primary Grade 1. So, in their 13th year of formal English language learning, they'd made it all the way to days of the week! 

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I also loved my time of study in China.

However, I do NOT agree with the new transitions in the ed system, as a result of the changing demographics...new transitions which are, at present, severely and negatively affecting teenage students in China.

It is very MADDENING to witness this....if one cares about the development of children in China...

I think he was referring to some private school for foreigners in China, not their public schools. In the case of public school of course it will be tragedy for a western child.

21 minutes ago, Cereal said:

I taught 1st year university in Zhengzhou, China. Chapter 1 in the textbook started with learning the days of the week. This is how far they'd come when they started learning English in Primary Grade 1. So, in their 13th year of formal English language learning, they'd made it all the way to days of the week! 

The REASON for this state of affairs is that the CCP, in all its science-based wisdom, requires spending MAXIMUM time on learning NONSENSE...

This is true.

Of course, there are great Chinese students in cities such as Shanghai who attend top high schools, and then go on to be stellar lights at the worlds top universities in the USA, such at The University of Pennsylvania, a slouch school which, I think, just judging by the culture at Penn, is even better than Harvard, but maybe not as good as MIT or CalTech...

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Why?

Definitely strong family devotion.

Ancestor worship, and FILLIAL PIETY.

Superior intelligence.

Excellent work ethic.

A strong sense of pursuing goals that are congruent with long-standing Chinese values, such as saving and purchase of land, and much more.

Abiding respect for education.

Willingness to sacrifice in order to obtain delayed reward, and reach important goals for the good of the family.

etc

etc

etc

Thanks, that you confirm

On 1/21/2024 at 6:03 PM, themongoose said:

My daughter is half Chinese, and I made the decision before she was born that she would NOT attend school of any kind in China.

Daily social & morality philosophy lessons (i.e state brainwashing) and the relentless schedule and homework expectations are no way to be a child.

For all the long hours and constant learning, I have to say that most of the adult Chinese people I have interviewed for positions are quite hopeless. They know how to do alot of things very well, but they often don't know how to put that knowledge into practice in the real world, and cannot deal with unexpected consequences or things that were not part of the original requirements.

Our company (Chinese company) deals with alot of bespoke client requests and it is simply mind blowing how often the simplest basic requirements are not done, with scrappage or contractual penalties, just because the staff think they know what they are doing and will not listen to the client (or me).

What industry?