Vinyl records wanted in Pattaya

Dave250264

4 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Why would anyone search for a vinyl record shop? The chances of finding some thing you like would be infinitesimally small since the technology is now superseded?

And superceded by far better audio quality. A chunk of VINYL (not VYNIL) going round and round with a needle taking up the vibrations up to maybe 16kHz in most cases.

Wasn't the idea patented by a Mr Edison?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

Since most middle-age adults with good hearing cannot detect frequencies above about 12 KHz, what's the problem?

No problem. I just wonder why someone would want to listen to music with hisses and crackles, and reduced high, and low frequencies.

OK, you get a big picture on the sleeve which is good if you have dodgy mincers as well as being a bit Mutton

• Sad 3
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Wasn't the idea patented by a Mr Edison?

The "Phonograph" was patented by Mr Edison but not the gramaphone!

Phonograph - Wikipedia

In the 1890s, Emile Berliner initiated the transition from phonograph cylinders to flat discs with a spiral groove running from the periphery to near the center, coining the term gramophone for disc record players, which is predominantly used in many languages. Later improvements through the years included modifications to the turntable and its drive system, the stylus or needle, pickup system, and the sound and equalization systems.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

The "Phonograph" was patented by Mr Edison but not the gramaphone!

Phonograph - Wikipedia

In the 1890s, Emile Berliner initiated the transition from phonograph cylinders to flat discs with a spiral groove running from the periphery to near the center, coining the term gramophone for disc record players, which is predominantly used in many languages. Later improvements through the years included modifications to the turntable and its drive system, the stylus or needle, pickup system, and the sound and equalization systems.

Thank you. Now who was first with an mp3?

I am reading a very interesting book written in 2015 by Stephen Witt titled 'How Music Got Free' Interesting reading if you're into that sort of thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, n00dle said:

out of touch, but unable to reman silent on the matter.

although it isn't just you it seems to be almost everyone else commenting. 

'Everyone else' looks like four different members to me. 9 posts, 3 from me.

12 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Yes you were the most vocal of the folks I was referring to. 

Oooh, thanks. Now how about getting on with the OP's question.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Denim said:

The item that sold the fastest and easiest was my 40 album collection from the 70's and 80's for which asked and received 160 pounds from the first interested party.

Couldn't have been many 'classic' LPs at 4 quid a throw.

But better than nowt.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Yes you were the most vocal of the folks I was referring to. 

Thank you for noticing and reading my answers to this OP. 

One of those statistics.

Personally I don't see the point. I know that some audiophiles are sure the sound of those things is different than digital music. But who has the equipment to be able to hear the difference? A couple of speakers for a few hundred USD won't be good enough to hear any difference.

So if people want to collect them and never listen to them, ok, do that, if it makes you happy.

But to play those records, what kind of stereo do you have?

29781.jpeg

crop__171999__1600.jpg

3 minutes ago, Denim said:

Correct. I could have gotten more had I been prepared to travel to London but my mother lives on an island and the cost did not justify the effort. Secondly , I just wanted to get rid of them quickly as a job lot rather than try to sell the more valuable ones on ebay which would have been time consuming and a hassle to post. Hence I put them up cheaply which probably accounts for all the interest, even on the Isle of Wight !

OK. Well done. Maybe someone got a Classic, valuable LP in your lot. 

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

OK. Well done. Maybe someone got a Classic, valuable LP in your lot. 

Unlikely. To make sure that I didn't drop a boll+ck , I spent several hours on ebay checking to see how much each album was going for. I knew I was selling cheap but did not want to lose a real packet on anything really valuable. Nonetheless, the buyer got a bargain since although my copy of Dark Side of the Moon was good for about 50 quid I had a limited time to sell. Very much a case of ' Everything must go ' !!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Pink Floyd vinyl album dark side of the moon&_sacat=0&_odkw=Pink Floyd vinyl album&_osacat=0

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One of those statistics.

Personally I don't see the point. I know that some audiophiles are sure the sound of those things is different than digital music. But who has the equipment to be able to hear the difference? A couple of speakers for a few hundred USD won't be good enough to hear any difference.

So if people want to collect them and never listen to them, ok, do that, if it makes you happy.

29781.jpeg

crop__171999__1600.jpg

I can hear far more on my digital files than I ever remember hearing on vinyl records. 

For those who prefer the 'vinyl' sound with all the noises, there are files available online taken from the records retaining all of them, with their reduced dynamic range. 

For those who prefer to hear how the tracks sounded in the studio, there are flacs or wavs taken directly from the masters.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

You can't hug an mp3.  :smile:

Hug ?  Some of those old 45's have a hole in the middle big enough to .......on second thoughts , hugging probably safer.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I can hear far more on my digital files than I ever remember hearing on vinyl records. 

For those who prefer the 'vinyl' sound with all the noises, there are files available online taken from the records retaining all of them, with their reduced dynamic range. 

For those who prefer to hear how the tracks sounded in the studio, there are flacs or wavs taken directly from the masters.

These days it needn't be one or the other. I have a modest LP collection which I use for a number of reasons. I also have several digital audio players including CD's and DAPs for flac, WAV and mp3 files. I use whatever I fancy or need. I rarely stream music though.

Obviously with a good analogue set-up you're still going to have fine audio sound but there are many factors involved. Digital is obviously less inconvenient but that's not always an issue for some.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One of those statistics.

29781.jpeg

crop__171999__1600.jpg

I have Adcom pre and power amp.

JBLti 5000 speakers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave250264 said:

Hi all,

Anyone know where I can find vinyl records in Pattaya?

Cheers

Noticed some advertising for old school HiFi etc on the Tokyo floor of Terminal 21. Didn’t get around to taking a look as I was busy with other matters.