Vinyl records wanted in Pattaya

Dave250264

10 hours ago, Denim said:

Asking why someone would want vinyl when modern options offer far superior sound quality is like asking why someone  would want an E-Type Jag when modern cars are much better.

Why would you want an antique inlaid wooden table when IKEA have modern ones in all shapes and sizes.

Sorry, no, it's not the same.

When you listen to music you normally don't look at the source of that music. Now I don't look at my computer to look where the music comes from. And when I was young and had a record player (and a tape deck) I didn't watch the record rotate to somehow make the experience of listening better.

How many people would in a blind test think the vinyl sounds better? I don't ask how many will hear a difference because I remember hearing all the impurities of slightly damaged or dirty records. 

So, what's left is the experience to take the record out, look at it, put it on the record player and watch it rotate. Yeah, what an experience...

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When you listen to music you normally don't look at the source of that music. Now I don't look at my computer to look where the music comes from. And when I was young and had a record player (and a tape deck) I didn't watch the record rotate to somehow make the experience of listening better.

How many people would in a blind test think the vinyl sounds better? I don't ask how many will hear a difference because I remember hearing all the impurities of slightly damaged or dirty records. 

So, what's left is the experience to take the record out, look at it, put it on the record player and watch it rotate. Yeah, what an experience...

You missed my first post. As explained, it's not about music quality at all. It's about It's vintage value, hence it's collectability.

Like you, for me it was about the music hence no attachment to my old vinyl records.

Nowadays I am happy to download from YouTube and play via USB when driving my car or listening at home.

Edited by Denim
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Why would anyone search for a vinyl record shop? The chances of finding some thing you like would be infinitesimally small since the technology is now superseded?

not true at all, there are several very good vinyl shops in bangkok, many interesting and relevant lps from the 60s, 70s and 80s, you'd be surprised. especially new wave and punk.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, n00dle said:

Interesting. especially the jbls

Yes they can handle a lot of output and sound really well and i used to play music everyday

but not so much any more.

Got the amp recapped and after that have maybe put 20 hours on them.

Sometimes when home alone i listen to something .

12 hours ago, Denim said:

Hug ?  Some of those old 45's have a hole in the middle big enough to .......on second thoughts , hugging probably safer.

Talking about the hole in the middle, in UK it was a small one, but there was an insert you could break out, and I seem to remember that was used in Europe. But LPs only had the small hole. 

Does anyone know why please? I suspect that it was easier for DJs to change records, and for juke boxes the bigger hole was better. But I really don't know.

11 hours ago, jvs said:

I have Adcom pre and power amp.

JBLti 5000 speakers.

And hearing range up to 11- 12 kHz?

If your vinyl sounds good on that equipment, just think how much better a CD or other digital media would sound.

Unfortunately I only have an Arcam 50 amp and Paradigm 4 speakers fed from a Soundblaster ZxR card in my PC..

Edited by KannikaP

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

And hearing range up to 11- 12 kHz?

If your vinyl sounds good on that equipment, just think how much better a CD or other digital media would sound.

I listen to vinyl and digital music,i know my hearing is not as good anymore but that does not mean

i can not enjoy music anymore.

Mostly now i listen with headphones from my pc.

Philips Fidelio x2hr.

2 minutes ago, jvs said:

I listen to vinyl and digital music,i know my hearing is not as good anymore but that does not mean

i can not enjoy music anymore.

Mostly now i listen with headphones from my pc.

Philips Fidelio x2hr.

Agree. I can only hear up to 11 kHz after 50 years playing onstage and age taking it's toll. Tested with a tone generator on my PC through Bose headphones. But I can still hear a difference when I turn the 12 or 16 kHz slider up on my graphic equaliser. However, that did lead to a blown tweeter a few years ago.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Nostalgia old boy, like looking back with fondness at pleasures of younger days.....like making love all night with a new girlfriend!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

You missed my first post. As explained, it's not about music quality at all. It's about It's vintage value, hence it's collectability.

Like you, for me it was about the music hence no attachment to my old vinyl records.

Nowadays I am happy to download from YouTube and play via USB when driving my car or listening at home.

Ok, the value of "old" vinyl records is a fact.

But it seems now more new vinyl records are sold compared to CDs. Maybe those new records will have vintage value in 50 years, but definitely not now. It seems just one of those fads. 

21 hours ago, Dave250264 said:

Hi all,

Anyone know where I can find vinyl records in Pattaya?

Cheers

Do you aware of 'Luvky Home' in BKK, they have many used vinyl records, located opposite 'Toyota Auto Work' at Imperial World Samrong, coordinates:  13.645595, 100.592203

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Quite honestly OMF, if you've never experienced the joy of watching that Island or Harvest label spinning you've wasted your youth. :)

And don't think the kids today aren't interested in that stuff with their "album art", "digital filters" etc. 

I've spent half my life with tagging, playlist etc. Once you have the right setup the inconvenience is minimal.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Expat68 said:

I brought my entire vinyl collection with me to Thailand 

In a container I guess and lovingly stored in an air con room.

When I was a kid there were always a lot of old vinyl records knocking around.

Many were with the dog and gramophone label ' His masters voice '

Never knew what what music they had, not interested  at that age. My sister used to melt them a bit in the oven and then bend them into fruit bowl shapes.

image.png.acbe2ba68120d2baaf439d33c18f6432.png

image.png.3812973569be4d4795e68912d3f2ca2e.png

image.png.a1782257f4cee9e4ed46b65ed1dc1266.png

Edited by Denim
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Why?

21 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Why would anyone search for a vinyl record shop? The chances of finding some thing you like would be infinitesimally small since the technology is now superseded?

Vinyl sales are up and vinyl is the present trend, numerous of old albums are re-released, some even a double albums with 45RPM instead of 33RPM.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Vinyl sales are up and vinyl is the present trend, numerous of old albums are re-released, some even a double albums with 45RPM instead of 33RPM.

It's only a passing trend. They have to make an LP a double because it is not possible to fit the data of a 33rpm LP onto one running at 45. 

No problem. I just wonder why someone would want to listen to music with hisses and crackles, and reduced high, and low frequencies.

OK, you get a big picture on the sleeve which is good if you have dodgy mincers as well as being a bit Mutton

If you have those problems it's a bit collar and cuff. I'm 90 and not looking forward to it.:wink:

And superceded by far better audio quality. A chunk of VINYL (not VYNIL) going round and round with a needle taking up the vibrations up to maybe 16kHz in most cases.

Wasn't the idea patented by a Mr Edison?

No, the flat disc was invented by Emile Berliner in 1887, and further completed by Peter Goldmark to the LP-vinyl disc in 1948.
Frequencies over 16kHz are not interesting, as you hardly can hear them, one non-existing musical octave more is 16-32kHz. In the lacquer cutting process the treble limiter would normally be set at 15kHz. 44kHz 16-bit linear digital sound goes up to 20kHz, which is just 1/4 of an octave over 16kHz, where you might be lucky to find some key rattling sound; which was our usual HF-test in recording studios. And you still need microphones to record acoustic sound – and overtones – but also microphones has a limit in frequency range. The best studio microphones, for example the Neumann U87 or Røde NT1, don't snap anything higher the 20kHz. Many microphones are in the range up 15kHz, which is enough in most cases...

Frequency-table_h800.jpg.0cb3feb81774d4c7913380fae5d41874.jpg

dave

i live in sattahip - i own 250 vinyl records that i want to sell - 70s 80s lots of originals - plan to leave for issan soon as girlfriend's parents are very old contact me here or at astahugo99 AT gmail.com for list if interested

john from uk

Edited by Rimmer
email edited

23 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It's only a passing trend. They have to make an LP a double because it is not possible to fit the data of a 33rpm LP onto one running at 45. 

Isn't that what I just said: "double albums"...:smile:
PS: I just got one of tracks I've produced re-released on a 45RPM compilation double-album vinyl.

22 minutes ago, khunPer said:

No, the flat disc was invented by Emile Berliner in 1887, and further completed by Peter Goldmark to the LP-vinyl disc in 1948.
Frequencies over 16kHz are not interesting, as you hardly can hear them, one non-existing musical octave more is 16-32kHz. In the lacquer cutting process the treble limiter would normally be set at 15kHz. 44kHz 16-bit linear digital sound goes up to 20kHz, which is just 1/4 of an octave over 16kHz, where you might be lucky to find some key rattling sound; which was our usual HF-test in recording studios. And you still need microphones to record acoustic sound – and overtones – but also microphones has a limit in frequency range. The best studio microphones, for example the Neumann U87 or Røde NT1, don't snap anything higher the 20kHz. Many microphones are in the range up 15kHz, which is enough in most cases...

Frequency-table_h800.jpg.0cb3feb81774d4c7913380fae5d41874.jpg

Thank you so much for that very valued and useful information.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Isn't that what I just said: "double albums"...:smile:
PS: I just got one of tracks I've produced re-released on a 45RPM compilation double-album vinyl.

Are you going to tell us the track title please?

And does it sound any different, better or worse, than say the studio monitor sound, the original 45, CD or what please?

Or mp3 on You Tube?

Edited by KannikaP

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Are you going to tell us the track title please?

Link HERE – it's fusion jazz; I'm the original producer and publisher.
Same theme use HERE (YouTube) in a more contemporary remix/new-work, one of several.
More HERE of recent re-releases on vinyl and contemporary remixes/new-works.

2 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

Once you have the right setup the inconvenience is minimal.

I have the right setup. All digital until the speaker chassis.

Perfect sound - at least as perfect as I am willing to invest. 

jbl-708p-review-studio-monitor-powered-s