Unrequited love fuels deadly shooting in central Thailand bar

murder-1.jpg

A violent outburst in a Thai bar led to a woman’s death and left her husband critically injured in central Thailand. The suspect, Sopon Thammasadang, who was reportedly fuelled by jealousy and unrequited love, turned himself in to the authorities after fleeing the scene. The incident occurred at a house in Sam Khok, Pathum Thani, yesterday, January 21.

Sopon, also known as Tor, reportedly shot 40 year old Sureerat Suwannakot resulting in her death and causing critical injury to her 53 year old husband Anek Meemak. The authorities discovered the injured couple at their residence, house number 22 in Chiang Rak Yai, Sam Khok. Sopon fled the scene on his blue Yamaha motorcycle after the incident.

By 9.30pm on the same day, the police apprehended the 42 year old gunman, along with his motorcycle. He was hiding at his grandmother’s house in the Klong Prem Prachakorn neighbourhood. Before his arrest, an elder whom he respected contacted the police to facilitate his surrender.

During the preliminary investigation, Sopon admitted to the crime, attributing it to jealousy and unrequited love for the female victim. He explained that he had been giving Sureerat substantial financial support, unaware that she had a new boyfriend after separating from her husband. Upon finding out, his jealousy ignited, leading to the deadly shooting.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

During the preliminary investigation, Sopon admitted to the crime, attributing it to jealousy and unrequited love for the female victim. He explained that he had been giving Sureerat substantial financial support, unaware that she had a new boyfriend after separating from her husband. Upon finding out, his jealousy ignited, leading to the deadly shooting

Baby.... 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

You can't man-up if you're not a man.. he blew up and ran to his grandmothers..  say's it all.

i love the 'jealousy ignited' bit ..5..4..3..2..1...Look out here i come!

14 hours ago, reefsurfah said:

“unrequited love” sure at that age just move on.  No point in jealousy or whatever you give will bring her back.  Man up. 

poetic license at work...what he really said was she was a good root...thats what he missed...I could be wrong of course

• Sad 1

The love was requited and obviously he paid a considerable amount for it. She seems to have taken his money and conducted an affair with another man at the same time. I don't understand how the husband was involved. 

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A violent outburst in a Thai bar led to a woman’s death and left her husband critically injured in central Thailand.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The authorities discovered the injured couple at their residence,

Say what? did they go home after the violent outburst in the bar? I would sack all reporters at Thethaiger. 

• Agree 2