Thai's Cutting In Line

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Doesn't happen to me, maybe something about you?

I doubt it. There is never any negative interaction beteeen me and the principal. The only thing I could think of is that I'm pretty easy going and slow and the person cutting in is typically rushed and erratic, so the principal may think I'm Ok with waiting while the other person is served.

2 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I doubt it. There is never any negative interaction beteeen me and the principal. The only thing I could think of is that I'm pretty easy going and slow and the person cutting in is typically rushed and erratic, so the principal may think I'm Ok with waiting while the other person is served.

Well, if you let people cut in, people cut in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

ok sounds like it's because you're slow, people don't like waiting for a slow person

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Why do you think that its doesn't happen to you ?

Do you look really hard and fearsome and no one wants to mess with you through fear ?

Are you slow like Jim? it's most likely that reason so speed up, stop faffing about

15 minutes ago, retarius said:

That might be your tactic, mine is to shout really loudly so I can't be ignored. Each to his own. My precious wife is very good and explain to the staff that I am not used to people pushing in. 

I would get too embarrassed to shout and bring all that attention to myself , I would feel a bit of an idiot shouting in shops, or anywhere else for that matter 

5 minutes ago, stoner said:

steven its 7pm you are far too into the chang to be making rational comments. 

ok ... cheers..    actually 3/4 bottle of G&T's today ..  no Chang.

Edited by steven100

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Is this getting worse or am I just noticing it more?

Counted 3x so far today buying something or service oriented interactions where my transaction is already in process and someone (Thai) walks up, orders or requests while I'm standing there, and the person I'm with immediately serves them first and ignores me, sometimes with a drawn out conversation before they conclude, while I'm standing there waiting.

Is this disrespectful here in Thailand? I thought it was 🤷🏻‍♂️. Feels like a racist Thai first thing.

and you just stand there waiting?? Why do you allow this to happen? In the 17 years I have lived in Thailand no one has ever cut in front of me although many have tried, and got away with it.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Just say to both of them "Excuse me, she is dealing with me at the moment and she will serve you when she's finished serving me "

I just raise my voice and say "Just a minute" in Thai.

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

and you just stand there waiting?? Why do you allow this to happen? In the 17 years I have lived in Thailand no one has ever cut in front of me although many have tried, and got away with it.

If I see a person who is busy and in a rush , and they just want to make a quick purchase , I don't mind them pushing in front of me .

I've done it myself a few times when the clock says 11.58 PM

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

It feels like it's up to the employee I'm dealing with to enforce it. Calling out the other customer feels misplaced since they are interacting with the employee and not me and the employee agrees to serve them. I could say something to the employee about how I was there first, but it feels like they have control of the interaction if I'm buying something from them in their place of business.

An answer could be to just dump the merchandise like someone suggested above and go somewhere else.

Now, if I'm at an Atm somewhere or a gas pump and someone cuts in I just say something. The difference is a third party there serving you who is effectively letting someone cut in.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Before now, with a large basket of shopping, if someone blatantly cut in front of me and the cashier saw it and thought nothing of it, I've just left my basket right there on the floor, frozen goods and all, and walked out.

Its up to you to say something and not to rely on the cahier (who may not have been aware of it or maybe not bothered ) , its rather petulant to storm off like that and it just means you have to go to another shop and do your shopping again 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, stoner said:

i used to let this happen when i first came here. now not a chance. i care not if it is an old or young person i call them out every single time. i find that younger staff are changing with this as well though. a few times i have had a younger thai tell a budding customer to wait as i was there first.

make your voice heard in these instances regardless of how thai feel. stand with your own convictions of what you feel is disrespectful.

this is plain rude no matter the culture or what the locals feel or believe. 

Spot on. I miss those , I’ll take next in line please!

4 minutes ago, stoner said:

there is no legal basis for this. the products never left the store. it is not the responsibility of a customer to return unwanted products to a shelf or freezer. 

Spot on

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

Before now, with a large basket of shopping, if someone blatantly cut in front of me and the cashier saw it and thought nothing of it, I've just left my basket right there on the floor, frozen goods and all, and walked out.

This is known as the "I'll show them, I'll flock myself" strategy.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

I was at immigration at Chang Wattana in the line for queue numbers and a Chinese man (he threw his passport at the attendant so I could see it was a Chinese passport) cut in front of me just as I got to the window.

The Thai attendant threw his passport back at him with zero hesitation and gave him a look, well if looks could kill...

Then she immediately returned to business without missing a beat, I guess they are used to handling line cutters at immigration.

Can you see this happening if it was a Thai who cut in and chucked the passport?

Edited by JimTripper