Alternative retirement locations

Nan should rank high up the list. Like Chiang Mai 1978. It is better than most Thai cities. The women are quiet tall there. Roads are quiet and connections to Pua and Phrae are good.

The main downside is limited nightlife. Didn't see any girly bars. Maybe a plus for some. Chiang Rai had plenty of those bars. Not sure about live music.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Nan should rank high up the list. Like Chiang Mai 1978. It is better than most Thai cities. The women are quiet tall there. Roads are quiet and connections to Pua and Phrae are good.

The main downside is limited nightlife. Didn't see any girly bars. Maybe a plus for some. Chiang Rai had plenty of those bars. Not sure about live music.

Nan is nice and peaceful. But I would not consider it a retirement location except if you do have a wife from there. Similar to also nice and peaceful Loei there is not much to offer for foreigners in terms of large foreign community, restaurants with menu in English language and foreign orientated restaurants, pubs or bakeries. Both mentioned provinces have lovely landscapes and scenery. You will at least need a girlfriend or wife from there, otherwise life might be boring after a while. 

• Like 1

Just now, msbkk said:

Nan is nice and peaceful. But I would not consider it a retirement location except if you do have a wife from there. Similar to also nice and peaceful Loei there is not much to offer for foreigners in terms of large foreign community, restaurants with menu in English language and foreign orientated restaurants, pubs or bakeries. Both mentioned provinces have lovely landscapes and scenery. You will at least need a girlfriend or wife from there, otherwise life might be boring after a while. 

Chiang Khan is nice. But you are right not much to do. Chiang Khan riverfront is rather good for walking and restaurants.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

If you have a large house with a swimming pool and land you don't need much to do. Life and happiness revolves around your family and property, other then going into town for food and supplies. Breaks are traveling to other locations that are of interest.

That house and land be in the women's name. I'm more into live music than gardening. I rarely see adults using pools much. The fun wears off quickly. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, JimTripper said:

If you have a large house with a swimming pool and land you don't need much to do. Life and happiness revolves around your family and property, other then going into town for food and supplies. Breaks are traveling to other locations that are of interest.

You seem to be talking theoretically, in practice it's a big No to that idea

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

As this is a Asian forum nd not just Thailand 

I'm saying my  list

Duamagette Phillipines 

Cebu , Philippines

Davao City

.Bali Indonesia 

I have a 356 sq m corner lot and 3 storey house for sale on Negros, just 20 minutes from Bacolod and 10 minutes from the airport. Ideal location. Quiet, gated, guarded subdivision. 5m PHP.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, uttradit said:

That house and land be in the women's name. I'm more into live music than gardening. I rarely see adults using pools much. The fun wears off quickly. 

I swim almost every day 500m+ for the past 6 years. I wouldn't call it fun but exercise. Wherever you live it's always nice to have a few trusted friends and a hobby to stop you going insane. I cycle too and sometimes go fishing. But do something, if you like music, play a guitar or another instrument. Keep away from the bars and daytime boozing.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Koh Chang. the best of both worlds, live music, bars, many good restaurants, beaches good, no traffic jams. 

And the highest amount of annual rainfall of anywhere in Thailand.  Six months of moldy damp clothes and bedding? I'll pass.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Depends on your 

4 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Depends on your height😂

One was about 6 foot 4. She wasn't born a woman though. There were many 5 foot 9s. Compared to Korat that's tall.

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You seem to be talking theoretically, in practice it's a big No to that idea

That is pretty much how I live - as Tripper says - I have a pool and land and gardeners and fresh organic fruits and veggies... and not too far out of town - great views - it is like living in a resort.. 

23 hours ago, JimTripper said:

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I made a choice a few years ago - between spending my time in resorts on a monthly basis - going here and there... but buying a resort style property was the wiser idea. All the comforts of home - we have a village home as well but the family enjoys coming here for a few days at a time and we have good help - this was a great choice for us and we go into the city w/ease whenever we want... 

Nan is too quiet, the choices in terms of Western eateries are very limited, and there is only one hospital. Apparently it only has one golf course as well. Pass.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

The world is more threatening now, not inviting like it once was.

I found there was a big change when covid hit... much of my socializing went by the wayside... that precipitated a series of events that combined to make me much more of a homebody than ever before... 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

As this is a Asian forum nd not just Thailand 

I'm saying my  list

Duamagette Phillipines 

Cebu , Philippines

Davao City

.Bali Indonesia 

If you want aids

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1