Alternative retirement locations

On 1/23/2024 at 9:35 PM, uttradit said:

I rarely see adults using pools much. The fun wears off quickly. 

speak for yourself.  I am in my pool first thing every morning and most afternoons, especially after exercise

and its not about fun, it's about refreshment.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GypsyT said:

90 days per entry is very easy and enough for me.

"Currently, tourists with U.S. passports do not need visas for short-term visits (up to three months)."

When does Thailand wake up?

Or do I have to join Russian army, make a visit with Mr Kalashnikov to Ukraine and then get visa free 90 day stays in Thailand?

Yes, but immigration might want to see a death certificate.

5 hours ago, n00dle said:

speak for yourself.  I am in my pool first thing every morning and most afternoons, especially after exercise

Everybody speaks for themself. 

• Sad 1

Ok guys. Not long ago, a good number of Farangs found that Long Term visas for  Thailand are getting harder to get.

Looking for alternatives in South America. Ranging from Mexico to Patagonia. Especially Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador were on the radar. Every thingking person has taken it "off the radar" by now. Especially "the favorite" Ecuador. Now a country torn apart by by the reighn of  armed "drug warlords".

To be sure: Thailand is the only country left (with relative political stability and a certain benighn "welcome openness") that allowes non Farang millionaires an affordable long-term residency. Think of it and forget about "easy visa requirements" in Eastern Timbuktu.

Costa Rica and Panama are still good, even great.

"Costa Rica is one of the few countries without armed forces and, alongside Panama"

I've been to Costa Rica and ladies are similar to Thailand regarding friendliness toward farangs -:)

Panama is using US $$$ so that's a plus. There are many beautiful islands and many expats from the US and other western countries.

But as you say Thailand is one of the best but too much bureaucracy to my liking. The goalpost is always shifting...

Maybe best to live in Cambodia (easy 12mo visa for $ 300) and make easy 30 day entries to Thailand and easy 45 day trips to Vietnam. No paperwork, just walk in.

On 1/23/2024 at 9:35 PM, uttradit said:

I rarely see adults using pools much. The fun wears off quickly. 

21 hours ago, n00dle said:

I do to swim, but I don't like in when there are other people in the pool. It makes me think people are peeing in the water. I also don't like swimming when people are lounging around staring at me swim.

Edited by JimTripper

5 hours ago, GypsyT said:

I've been to Costa Rica and ladies are similar to Thailand regarding friendliness toward farangs -:)

just so cringe. 

We have one fool telling us swimming pools are only for children, and another telling us this.  At least you spared us your vacation videos

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, n00dle said:

just so cringe. 

We have one fool telling us swimming pools are only for children, and another telling us this.  At least you spared us your vacation videos

What's cringeworthy about it?

I'm off to the pub for our regular Friday expat lunch, A couple of the lads are away so there will only be the same 8 guys there. It is Aussie pub food but...I enjoy the 8k scooter ride.

There is a nice public swimming pool so don't need my own, but it is a bit chilly so I won't be there until the weather warms up a bit.

Mountains are visible and the sun is shining.   

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm off to the pub for our regular Friday expat lunch, A couple of the lads are away so there will only be the same 8 guys there. It is Aussie pub food but...I enjoy the 8k scooter ride.

There is a nice public swimming pool so don't need my own, but it is a bit chilly so I won't be there until the weather warms up a bit.

Mountains are visible and the sun is shining.   

What do you talk about?

18 hours ago, swissie said:

Ok guys. Not long ago, a good number of Farangs found that Long Term visas for  Thailand are getting harder to get.

Looking for alternatives in South America. Ranging from Mexico to Patagonia. Especially Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador were on the radar. Every thingking person has taken it "off the radar" by now. Especially "the favorite" Ecuador. Now a country torn apart by by the reighn of  armed "drug warlords".

To be sure: Thailand is the only country left (with relative political stability and a certain benighn "welcome openness") that allowes non Farang millionaires an affordable long-term residency. Think of it and forget about "easy visa requirements" in Eastern Timbuktu.

Alternatives are still there.

Thailand is excellent but still has the huge drawback of no path to perm residency via retirement status.

Ecuador did get high crime quickly due to cartels but I'm hearing most expats are not leaving as they don't live in the hot spots.

In Colombia, mmurders have spiked in Medellin and Cartegena mostly of men getting drugged while dating.

Places like Armenia, Manizales, and Bucaramonga still offer safer and lower cost high quality options.

However Colombia retirement visa became much more work to get even though financial requirements still very low. 

Costs have gone up in Mexico even in Merida. Financial requirements now very very high but still doable probably for most with a retirement nest egg.

Panama remains top rated for good reasons and permanent retirement residence only 1k usd per month needed. However rents in Panama City, Coronado, even Boquette way beyond low budget level so people are moving to more local places like Chitre and Las Tablas.

Personally if I had to leave Thailand my current list would include Cambodia, Philippines, Mexico, and Panama.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Alternatives are still there.

Thailand is excellent but still has the huge drawback of no path to perm residency via retirement status.

Ecuador did get high crime quickly due to cartels but I'm hearing most expats are not leaving as they don't live in the hot spots.

In Colombia, mmurders have spiked in Medellin and Cartegena mostly of men getting drugged while dating.

Places like Armenia, Manizales, and Bucaramonga still offer safer and lower cost high quality options.

However Colombia retirement visa became much more work to get even though financial requirements still very low. 

Costs have gone up in Mexico even in Merida. Financial requirements now very very high but still doable probably for most with a retirement nest egg.

Panama remains top rated for good reasons and permanent retirement residence only 1k usd per month needed. However rents in Panama City, Coronado, even Boquette way beyond low budget level so people are moving to more local places like Chitre and Las Tablas.

Personally if I had to leave Thailand my current list would include Cambodia, Philippines, Mexico, and Panama.

I doubt you would be happy long term in Cambodia. There is squat for all to do there, even in PP and SR. It felt like I was living to just kill time when I lived there a year.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I doubt you would be happy long term in Cambodia. There is squat for all to do there, even in PP and SR. It felt like I was living to just kill time when I lived there a year.

I'm easily amused but Mexico is my current top backup option.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

What do you do in Thailand for fun?

On 2/1/2024 at 4:10 PM, n00dle said:

Do you wear a bra in your mature years not that you'd have man boobs I'm suspecting..but they would go well ........with that ........noodle 😂

Edited by georgegeorgia

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm easily amused but Mexico is my current top backup option.

Where are you planning on living in Mexico? If you don't know and just wandering around on your own that's not a great idea.

Edited by JimTripper

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Where are you planning on living in Mexico? If you don't know and just wandering around on your own that's not a great idea.

I'm not planning on leaving Thailand. 

These other countries are backup options because there is no residence security based on retirement in Thailand. 

I have traveled extensively in Mexico in the past. I have a list of potential destinations if I ever did move there. I don't have just one place in mind at the moment. But you're right that Mexico is a large country with a diverse range of choices and choosing the actual place is quite hard, in my view much harder than for Thailand. 

My current list includes 

Mazatlan

Oaxaca

Queretaro

Xalapa Veracruz (very affordable to buy housing, low budget pick overall)

Aguascalientes (another low budget pick in a big city)

Puerto Vallarta (probably too expensive)

Morelia (foodie pick, maybe too dangerous)

Merida (definitely too hot)

Puebla (too high)

Mexico City (can't ignore it)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

A friend of mine moved to San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato and built up nice business there.

I had a chance to join 50-50 deal but that time LA still was OK so I stayed.

One day I go to see him. The city is very beautiful.

"In fact, it's one of the safest cities in all of Mexico, and is widely regarded as safer than some US cities. Many Mexicans jokingly refer to San Miguel de Allende as Disneyland because it's the sort of place that makes for a gentle introduction to Mexico, especially for first time visitors."

But no place is 100% safe in Mexico.

Is San Miguel de Allende safe from cartels?

"Even in states where crime is very high, tourist areas have generally been spared. San Miguel de Allende, a haven for U.S. retirees, is an island of relative peace in a state, Guanajuato, that has been riddled with cartel violence.16 Mar 2023"

19 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

A friend of mine moved to San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato and built up nice business there.

I had a chance to join 50-50 deal but that time LA still was OK so I stayed.

One day I go to see him. The city is very beautiful.

"In fact, it's one of the safest cities in all of Mexico, and is widely regarded as safer than some US cities. Many Mexicans jokingly refer to San Miguel de Allende as Disneyland because it's the sort of place that makes for a gentle introduction to Mexico, especially for first time visitors."

But no place is 100% safe in Mexico.

Is San Miguel de Allende safe from cartels?

"Even in states where crime is very high, tourist areas have generally been spared. San Miguel de Allende, a haven for U.S. retirees, is an island of relative peace in a state, Guanajuato, that has been riddled with cartel violence.16 Mar 2023"

A top choice but I think on the too expensive side for housing based on the heavy influence of gringos especially from California who find everything cheap in comparison. 

Definitely should be on the radar for wealthier expats wanting a gringo bubble.

Merida is rated even safer.

On 1/24/2024 at 4:38 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Siem Reap apparently cheaper than Thailand

Upcoming now is apparently Malaysia according to a YouTube on rural areas?

Any retirees here in Malaysia?

Ref Siem Reap, currently  what are the regulations for long stays in Cambodia.? What would be the equivalent of a one year extension of permission to stay.? 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not planning on leaving Thailand. 

These other countries are backup options because there is no residence security based on retirement in Thailand. 

I have traveled extensively in Mexico in the past. I have a list of potential destinations if I ever did move there. I don't have just one place in mind at the moment. But you're right that Mexico is a large country with a diverse range of choices and choosing the actual place is quite hard, in my view much harder than for Thailand. 

My current list includes 

Mazatlan

Oaxaca

Queretaro

Xalapa Veracruz (very affordable to buy housing, low budget pick overall)

Aguascalientes (another low budget pick in a big city)

Puerto Vallarta (probably too expensive)

Morelia (foodie pick, maybe too dangerous)

Merida (definitely too hot)

Puebla (too high)

Mexico City (can't ignore it)

Puerto Vallarta was the only place I liked in Mexico enough to settle there. Lived there maybe 6 months total in a nice house on the hillside. If could afford a decent place there I would probably never have come to Asia at all. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Water is crystal clear & clean. Beaches are great. Air is clean. Just slightly under USA/California pricing for rentals though when I was there years ago.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, saintdomingo said:

Ref Siem Reap, currently  what are the regulations for long stays in Cambodia.? What would be the equivalent of a one year extension of permission to stay.? 

No idea but just noticed a big increase in retirees posting YouTube vids on life in Cambodia so I will have to catch up 

• Like 1

I've been mostly living in Laos for the past few years (with some short breaks in the UK, Thailand and Myanmar).  I will start to receive my UK state pension next June (25) and that alone is quite adequate to live on, (including eating out daily and expat medical insurance...)

I have a couple of months to kill before a planned final in-class job in Myanmar.  So from Monday, I'm off on my motorbike to tour around Laos and to find a retirement bolthole.  My current rented property in Luang Prabang is more than adequate, but I want to find a rural house atop a hill with a 100x100 meter garden for my radio antennas!

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Puerto Vallarta was the only place I liked in Mexico enough to settle there. Lived there maybe 6 months total in a nice house on the hillside. If could afford a decent place there I would probably never have come to Asia at all. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Water is crystal clear & clean. Beaches are great. Air is clean. Just slightly under USA/California pricing for rentals though when I was there years ago.

Puerto Vallarta has a special place in my heart but I think I would need to live in bad location dump to afford it. But the summers are too hot and humid and they do have hurricanes.

BTW Mexico was my original first choice for retirement but at age 50 I could not qualify for Mexico but could for Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing