Alternative retirement locations

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I live on the edge of the Jungle and love my peace and quiet.

You are very lucky to have a place like that, but I don't think such place is available for many others or easy to find. 

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Was in Nan a few weeks ago.  Maybe the most boring place I have ever been in Thailand.  Limited western amenities, English, with nothing to do all day or at night.

Maybe a good place to retire, be totally bored, and die.

Why are you in Thailand for western things? The drives around Nan are great.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LikeItHot said:

Don't know how humidity knows  whether a place is crap or not but you obviously don't but simple logic evades you I guess.  Don't believe me.  Google highest rainfall in Thailand.  Then you can take the results and put them where the rain doesn't fall clown.  If you don't know what the rainy season is like here you obviously haven't been here long enough to comment.  Keep your newbie responses to your yourself.

Yeh Haven't been here long on Koh Chang only 20yrs, and if you don't believe me, I don't give a sh* T. Oh by the way my A/C has a dry mode.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LikeItHot said:

Don't know how humidity knows  whether a place is crap or not but you obviously don't but simple logic evades you I guess.  Don't believe me.  Google highest rainfall in Thailand.  Then you can take the results and put them where the rain doesn't fall clown.  If you don't know what the rainy season is like here you obviously haven't been here long enough to comment.  Keep your newbie responses to your yourself.

The rainfall statistics don't tell the full story. It can rain for 4 hours after midnight then be hot and sunny all day so you can wash and dry your clothes. Maybe you never been to Thailand. It rarely rains all day.

• Agree 1

On 1/25/2024 at 12:06 PM, Sluglord said:

I've not spent serious time in Cambodia for decades but the only thing cheaper is alcohol. I'd also include rent but with caveat you might not be getting same amenities

Bali - Indonesia is a big hassle to live on resident visa.

Malaysia - program already had high requirements but now off the charts. There was a total exodus of expats.

Your SEA choices are Cambodia, Philippines and possibly Vietnam. Taiwan is poor value but very livable. Food is sooooo boring.

Philippines is dangerous in many ways.

I'm thinking about going back to Siem Reap Cambodia when my O-A Visa expires. I was kind of bored there last time, but I just want that easy visa without thinking about immigration stuff. Have never been interested in the Phillippines, probably just a dump. I don't know where else to go. Feels like almost every country has endless hassles with visas and I'm always watching the calendar.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thanks 1

Pattaya on sunday: felt like i was living in the middle of a giant retirement village. 

Just a fleeting thought during a bit of self-reflection and thinking about one's future.

Maybe a relocation to bangkok to be amongst younger people??

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I'm thinking about going back to Siem Reap Cambodia when my O-A Visa expires. I was kind of bored there last time, but I just want that easy visa without thinking about immigration stuff. Have never been interested in the Phillippines, probably just a dump. I don't know where else to go. Feels like almost every country has endless hassles with visas and I'm always watching the calendar.

You could find somewhere in Philippines to settle in. Atrocious food aside, it could be ok. Most if not all expats there end up with a girlfriend fairly quickly despite All the young poon in the bars (oh the headaches). It's a decidedly lower standard of living for the same amount of money as Thailand. Some things are much more expensive and other things cheaper so it about averages out. I'm inclined to say that the Philippines is actually probably 20% more expensive when it is said and done.

You know better than myself whether Cambodia will work for you. It used to be about 25% more expensive than Thailand because it simply lacked the economies of scale. I really enjoy Khmer people and Cambodia would be my choice. The disappointment with Cambodia for me is the lack of beaches, the heat. Even the last time that I visited Phnom Penh in 1996 it was just starting to bust open. I've read and seen photos since and it looks like unbridled and unzoned growth run amok.

One downside for Cambodia and perhaps even for the Philippines is being a single male I think you're immediately singled out for potential suspicious behavior shall I say

I find the Vietnamese women, well, the Chinese Viets absolutely stunning. Food is good. But, I dislike Vietnam. The people are cold, aloof and untrustworthy. The fact that it's a communist country both add stability but at the same time you are well under eye. I had a beautiful viet gf in states who was actually older than me by a year or two. I wasn't ready to settle down at the time but she had a horrible life and was totally ride or die for me. But... very cool not the same personalities of Thai, Khmer, Pinay

Lao and peepoles are lovely but the food meh and nothing to do.

If you're young enough you can just bounce around between countries. Toss in Japan just because why not.

How about China? You can't live there without a great deal of household but you could spend up to 6 months there on one visa.

Edited by Sluglord
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Not all of the Philippines is a dump.

I could definitely live there and there are actually decent food choices depending where you're living there but of course nobody is saying better than Thailand.

Places to check out -- Iloilo City (progressive mayor with a great vision, unusually long developed river walk), Baguio City (if you want cool weather)

Baguio City: Where Nature, Culture, and History Flourish — An Unforgettable Destination in the Philippines | by Princes Angela Sicat | Medium

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Not all of the Philippines is a dump.

I could definitely live there and there are actually decent food choices depending where you're living there but of course nobody is saying better than Thailand.

Places to check out -- Iloilo City (progressive mayor with a great vision, unusually long developed river walk), Baguio City (if you want cool weather)

Baguio City: Where Nature, Culture, and History Flourish — An Unforgettable Destination in the Philippines | by Princes Angela Sicat | Medium

Years ago I bought land in neighbouring Negros on the promise that the airport at Silay was due to be upgraded to international. But the money went instead to Iloilo who did the same for their airport. They simply rebanked it - about 20 billion PHP. I believe the mayor then was the son of the Senator for Ilo, or so I was told. Negros has no Senator and still has no international airport. Nobody said a word. Who wants to die in a remote sugar plantation with a bullet in the back of your head? Corruption out there is in plain sight, on a massive scale. It's just part of life. Marcos, Duterte, The Catholic Church. You're on a hiding to nothing.

• Like 1

Advise from my Japanese lady friend who lived in Spain.

I told I have hard time to decide where to park my bones and she said : "Check out Okinawa! It's like the US."

She also said the weather is like mainland Spain most of the time.

That sounded strange until I did some research. Now it's on my bucket list.

"Okinawan culture is more laid back than mainland Japan. The pace is slower and the people are less hesitant to speak their minds (though still far more reserved than Western cultures). The people here value crafts such as pottery and glass; and the music here is distinctively Okinawan.

Okinawan culture is also heavily influenced by American culture. In 1945, near the end of World War II, the U.S. invaded Okinawa, and in 1952, the U.S. and Japan signed an agreement for the U.S. military to stay."

The best last;

"Today, there are anywhere between 40,000 and 80,000 military personnel, accompanying family members, and civilian employees and contractors. The American influence is evident in things like taco rice (a tex-mex/asian hybrid), American Village (a tourist shopping hub), A&W fast food, and some dishes containing Spam. In fact, many tourists from mainland Japan come to Okinawa just to get a taste of American culture."

US without illegals!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, GypsyT said:

I told I have hard time to decide where to park my bones and she said : "Check out Okinawa! It's like the US."

"Okinawan culture is more laid back than mainland Japan. The pace is slower and the people are less hesitant to speak their minds (though still far more reserved than Western cultures). The people here value crafts such as pottery and glass; and the music here is distinctively Okinawan.

Okinawan culture is also heavily influenced by American culture. In 1945, near the end of World War II, the U.S. invaded Okinawa, and in 1952, the U.S. and Japan signed an agreement for the U.S. military to stay."

The best last;

"Today, there are anywhere between 40,000 and 80,000 military personnel, accompanying family members, and civilian employees and contractors. The American influence is evident in things like taco rice (a tex-mex/asian hybrid), American Village (a tourist shopping hub), A&W fast food, and some dishes containing Spam. In fact, many tourists from mainland Japan come to Okinawa just to get a taste of American culture."

US without illegals!

If you like American "culture" and fast food, just go to the Philippines. I doubt there's a realistic retirement visa option for Japan. 

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you like American "culture" and fast food, just go to the Philippines. I doubt there's a realistic retirement visa option for Japan. 

If you eat healthy or unhealthy, location isn't going to matter much.  I ate pretty healthy in the USA, and possibly healthier here/TH, as I cook more for myself now.   I didn't do much fast food in USA, or here/TH.

Ht / Wt ratio, always acceptable, and blood work, always in normal range.  Always ate/eat whatever I want, though a bit less here, as don't burn it off like I used to.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There's not. You need to be working there to stay long term last time I checked. There are many great places in the world to live the problem is the visa.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

There's not. You need to be working there to stay long term last time I checked. There are many great places in the world to live the problem is the visa.

Yeah. I'd be interested in Taiwan if there was a visa option.

But there are also many great places where a visa is possible for many. 

On 1/23/2024 at 6:20 AM, JimTripper said:

If you have a large house with a swimming pool and land you don't need much to do. Life and happiness revolves around your family and property, other then going into town for food and supplies. Breaks are traveling to other locations that are of interest.

There is a lot of truth to that, if you find an area that you really love, the quiet of the area can be incredibly charming and appealing and you can travel to find the action when you feel like you need it. 

I know I for one am at the stage in my life where I just don't like the noise, the crowds, the traffic and the congestion, the pollution, the expense, and all the nonsense that goes along with being in a big city anymore. 

I spent a lot of time in big cities when I was much younger, and I just don't need it now. 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If you like American "culture" and fast food, just go to the Philippines.

I never eat that junk.... and Philippines is a mess. Dangerous too. Who wants to live in country where president killed ten of thousand of own citizens? I hope they drag his ass to Hague Tribunal one day. It may happen before he dies.

There is US military bases and many Americans living in Okinawa. it will give security and access to great hospitals.

I don't socialize much but it's comforting to know IF I need help I can trust fellow Americans. I have noticed Americans come better along in foreign countries and there more "we" spirit.

• Thumbs Up 1

But before I go to Okinawa I'll check out Cam Ranh, Vn. Starting next week.

I'm curious why there's so many luxury hotels and resorts.

I don't pay over $ 100/ night but I go and visit to see and maybe to use their facilities. I do this in Hawaii many times. I live at cheap places but go to spend time in luxury for free or for pennies. That's the plan.

https://luxuryhotel.world/cam-ranh/

PS. I'm researching legal options to retire in Vn as well.

Americans can apply for a visa to Vietnam through any Vietnamese embassy and will be approved for either six months or one year but can only stay in the country for three months at a time. If you plan to live in Vietnam, you then have two options: make “visa runs” every three months or get an extension on your visa.May 8, 2023."

"

Edited by GypsyT

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

I never eat that junk.... and Philippines is a mess. Dangerous too. Who wants to live in country where president killed ten of thousand of own citizens? I hope they drag his ass to Hague Tribunal one day. It may happen before he dies.

There is US military bases and many Americans living in Okinawa. it will give security and access to great hospitals.

I don't socialize much but it's comforting to know IF I need help I can trust fellow Americans. I have noticed Americans come better along in foreign countries and there more "we" spirit.

What visa?

Phillipines has a new president now.

The US will open four new military bases there.

There is world class medical care in Manila.

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

I know. Already rated "more crooked than his father"....

That would take some doing. 

If you want loads of Americans there are numerous locations in the Philippines for that. 

3 hours ago, GypsyT said:

There are also a lot of grey zones with those kinds of problems, unless you are a real loner. You could be guilty by association, or hanging out with the wrong person and lose your life. Some trigger happy cop just plays it safe and you are gone. The more deadbeat type of expats you are around the more likely they are angling for money with the wrong locals and the more likely that is to occur.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

There are also a lot of grey zones with those kinds of problems, unless you are a real loner. You could be guilty by association, or hanging out with the wrong person and lose your life. Some trigger happy cop just plays it safe and you are gone. The more deadbeat type of expats you are around the more likely they are angling for money with the wrong locals and the more likely that is to occur.

Well yes. It's more fun in the Philippines, just like it says on the tin. Anyway what you describe above are the reasons I would never EVER visit the jolly old US of A.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, bradiston said:

Anyway what you describe above are the reasons I would never EVER visit the jolly old US of A.

It's not that bad in the US.

I'd say 80% is safe and OK to live but when it's bad - it really is!

What is bad is politics! And getting worse... People hate each other more and more. That's bad's and sad.

That's why I only spend 2-3 months a year in the US. After next election even that may end...

14 hours ago, GypsyT said:

It's not that bad in the US.

I'd say 80% is safe and OK to live but when it's bad - it really is!

What is bad is politics! And getting worse... People hate each other more and more. That's bad's and sad.

That's why I only spend 2-3 months a year in the US. After next election even that may end...

You may qualify gor a mortgage in the Usa though so you could be able to live at arms length from weak people on some land that you own in theory. In Thailand I'm always in a condo or having to deal with a weak landlord in most cases if it's a house.

Edited by JimTripper

On 1/29/2024 at 8:19 PM, GypsyT said:

The best last;

US without illegals!

I think Okinawa would be a poor choice and you'll be mistaken for military or camp follower. Could be easier for p4p but I'd rather be in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka or half dozen other cities.

I really like Japan but think hooking up may have issues as well as long term visa

90 days per entry is very easy and enough for me.

"Currently, tourists with U.S. passports do not need visas for short-term visits (up to three months)."

When does Thailand wake up?

Or do I have to join Russian army, make a visit with Mr Kalashnikov to Ukraine and then get visa free 90 day stays in Thailand?

Edited by GypsyT