Australia vs America

2 hours ago, still kicking said:

Note that News.com.au is the original newspaper owned by Murdoch, and is now the flagship of the very right wing Murdoch news org. And that included FOX News. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Note that News.com.au is the original newspaper owned by Murdoch, and is now the flagship of the very right wing Murdoch news org. And that included FOX News. 

What's that got to do with the price of eggs? This was a survey, or do you read just the headline? 

That's quite the silly article, with no info about who, what & where, those 'voting' are.   Just some random Reddit post 😂

This being the only true stat, and with that, it's obvious, a larger percentage of Aussies prefer the USA, than Yanks preferring OZ.    Those that obviously have lived in both.

... "Australian Bureau of Statistics data shows that there are almost 110,000 US-born residents in Australia while US Census Bureau data estimate that there are 97,800 Australians in the US."

Per capita that is, and that doesn't include the 10-20M illegal immigrants in USA:

0.032844 % of Yanks prefer OZ

0.036243 % or Aussies prefer USA

Haven't been to OZ, but don't think I'd enjoy it as much as USA.  Too man venomous snakes, crocs, and white shark.  Though California & Florida seem to be bite capitals of the world many years.  

Landscape isn't diverse enough either to be interesting long term.  Got Penguins though 👍

1 minute ago, daveAustin said:

Awful article but yes Oz has always been all over the US for liveability. Both stunning countries of course, but safety alone Oz would always win. 

I was not born in Australia but have been here for about 40 years apart from some years in Thailand I found this country absolutely beautiful (well it is a continent as well) I guess I will get hammered from most Americans on this site who never been to Australia, but I don't mind. It is an opinion I posted since everybody ask for a link.

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

21 hours ago, still kicking said:

What's that got to do with the price of eggs? This was a survey, or do you read just the headline? 

The link had the line "Australia was also “a lot less right wing compared to the US”. "

That line may be true but Murdoch an Ozzy has a bit of the blame on how far right the US has gone.  Fox also talks a lot about the 2nd amendment so think the US can blame an Ozzy on a bit of the guns violence.

I don't disagree with that idea that Oz may be a better place to live than the US but think most places in the western world would also be better from the items in this survey.

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2024 at 1:16 AM, KhunLA said:

That's quite the silly article, with no info about who, what & where, those 'voting' are.   Just some random Reddit post 😂

This being the only true stat, and with that, it's obvious, a larger percentage of Aussies prefer the USA, than Yanks preferring OZ.    Those that obviously have lived in both.

... "Australian Bureau of Statistics data shows that there are almost 110,000 US-born residents in Australia while US Census Bureau data estimate that there are 97,800 Australians in the US."

Per capita that is, and that doesn't include the 10-20M illegal immigrants in USA:

0.032844 % of Yanks prefer OZ

0.036243 % or Aussies prefer USA

Haven't been to OZ, but don't think I'd enjoy it as much as USA.  Too man venomous snakes, crocs, and white shark.  Though California & Florida seem to be bite capitals of the world many years.  

Landscape isn't diverse enough either to be interesting long term.  Got Penguins though 👍

Diverse landscape? you are kidding me, temperate/frezzing cold in the south to lush tropical to the point of sweat dripping off your face after 5 min in the north and everything in-between, deserts, some of the best beaches in the world, we are an island you know.

I still giggle when I read people refer to Thai beaches as some of the best, mate even Saint Kilda beach 30 years ago was better than the best Thai beach.

We even have snow in winter and you can go skiing in a few places.....

Every type of forests you can think off....and those creepy crawlies you never see....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Njoku said:

Diverse landscape? you are kidding me, temperate/frezzing cold in the south to lush tropical to the point of sweat dripping off your face after 5 min in the north and everything in-between, deserts, some of the best beaches in the world, we are an island you know.

I still giggle when I read people refer to Thai beaches as some of the best, mate even Saint Kilda beach 30 years ago was better than the best Thai beach.

We even have snow in winter and you can go skiing in a few places.....

Every type of forests you can think off....and those creepy crawlies you never see....

Yes, and an island that happens to be the #6 largest country.   You got sand (dessert) & beaches and diverse temps.

Over 90% of the place, people avoid and don't even bother living there, as a bit too harsh.  Although if had the choice, surfside is still the way to go.

Definitely agree with TH beaches being sub par.  If not for the pollution and tourist, Andaman beaches would be excellent.  Outer less developed islands are probably nice, but too logistic for us.

I think your mountains are even smaller than the Appalachians (Easterm USA)

On topic, USA having very diverse landscape, with some amazing National Parks that highlight it.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, and an island that happens to be the #6 largest country.   You got sand (dessert) & beaches and diverse temps.

Over 90% of the place, people avoid and don't even bother living there, as a bit too harsh.  Although if had the choice, surfside is still the way to go.

Definitely agree with TH beaches being sub par.  If not for the pollution and tourist, Andaman beaches would be excellent.  Outer less developed islands are probably nice, but too logistic for us.

I think your mountains are even smaller than the Appalachians (Easterm USA)

On topic, USA having very diverse landscape, with some amazing National Parks that highlight it.

I guess you know nothing about Australia it is not just a country it is also a continent. And yes, it is an island we don't have to build walls to keep people out 130 thousand people migrated to Australia this year and in your opinion, they are all Idiots. And those migrants don't come from Mexico they come from all over the world. I was not born in Australia, but I lived here for over 40 years how many times have you been here? I guess never. My Thai wife of 20 years lives here as well what does that tell you? We have some of the world best beaches in Australia we have mountains, we have snow certain times of the year we don't freeze our backside of half of the year. The temperature up north is a constant 30 degrees. You have no Idea at all. 

GettyImages-693631434-5b3a3e3dc9e77c001ad2fed8.jpg

Twelve-Apostles-GettyImages-459760175.jpg

OIP.jfif

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, still kicking said:

I guess you know nothing about Australia it is not just a country it is also a continent. And yes, it is an island we don't have to build walls to keep people out 130 thousand people migrated to Australia this year and in your opinion, they are all Idiots. And those migrants don't come from Mexico they come from all over the world. I was not born in Australia, but I lived here for over 40 years how many times have you been here? I guess never. My Thai wife of 20 years lives here as well what does that tell you? We have some of the world best beaches in Australia we have mountains, we have snow certain times of the year we don't freeze our backside of half of the year. The temperature up north is a constant 30 degrees. You have no Idea at all. 

GettyImages-693631434-5b3a3e3dc9e77c001ad2fed8.jpg

Twelve-Apostles-GettyImages-459760175.jpg

OIP.jfif 17.59 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks, but I'm well aware of Australia, island, country, continent, as I did attend school.

USA immigrants, legal & illegal also come from all over the world.  About 1M legal, and 1-2M illegit a year attempt to gain entry.

Also know many parts of OZ are beautiful, just not as diverse as the USA.  Not a slight, just a fact, and didn't mean to offend any of you delicate Aussies.

Mountains is  stretch, and highest is only 2228m.  And I have a very good idea, thank you.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not a slight, just a fact, and didn't mean to offend any of you delicate Aussies.

You forgot to add, oi, oi, oi, LoL.

I remember an Italian once asked me where I was from, and I replied Australia, ah yes he replied with a smile on his face, "The Land of the Delicatoes. 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 1

IMO if you were to ask Americans what other country they would most likely consider living in, moving to...it would be Australia. They talk funny, they wrestle crocs, they walk about, just so many neat things about Australia. The freedom, the wide open spaces, the lovely beaches.

I first dropped anchor in Perth late 70's, the ladies were exxxxtremely friendly. Then again off and on in the 2000's. Been Darwin a few times, very nice. Went to a open market by the beach there, they had chain link fence by the beach for the Crocs. Been to Gladstone a few times, it's a mining area. Flew out of Brisbane from the last ship of my career.

I know some things are extremely expensive like a pack of smokes is some crazy amount of money. I don't follow the politics there so don't really have an up to date opinion on Australia.

Many Aussies on this forum can't stop talking about the USA and I don't know much or have an opinion on Aussie matters. Huh

• Like 1

Australia is a <deleted>ehole...rules about everything, can't do this can't do that....heavens forbid your caught doing 61kph in a 60 zone.

If your a smoker....be prepared to pay 1300 baht per pack, want a beer at the pub/bar....pfttt......make sure you have a minimum of 2500 baht just for a short session.

And.....full of self entitled a$$holes.

4 minutes ago, cranki said:

Australia is a <deleted>ehole...rules about everything, can't do this can't do that....heavens forbid your caught doing 61kph in a 60 zone.

If your a smoker....be prepared to pay 1300 baht per pack, want a beer at the pub/bar....pfttt......make sure you have a minimum of 2500 baht just for a short session.

And.....full of self entitled a$$holes.

frankly, all that pales into insignificance compared to the hot headed, feeling slighted, americans who resort to resolving petty squabbles, or feelings of being a bit annoyed by shooting and killing each other, or complete strangers... insanity.

• Agree 2

On 1/23/2024 at 9:33 PM, still kicking said:

Why most people think Australia is better than the United States

I would agree if it wasn't for all of the Australians living there!! And then there is the problem that it's not an English speaking country :tongue:

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I would agree if it wasn't for all of the Australians living there!! And then there is the problem that it's not an English speaking country :tongue:

We're doing our best to erase all ties with the mother country.

• Haha 2

I loved the movie Crocodile Dundee.

Visited twice many years ago.  Great place.  Could see it as a good option vs the USA.

Of course living there and visiting is most likely a lot different.

5 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Yanks ain't the smartest of international travelers, but most of those are just silly.  Sharks ... definitely not a stretch.  OZ, SA. USA; HA, CA & FL, well known for too man nibbles.  The Carolinas aren't much of a surprise either.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yanks ain't the smartest of international travelers, but most of those are just silly.  Sharks ... definitely not a stretch.  OZ, SA. USA; HA, CA & FL, well known for too man nibbles.  The Carolinas aren't much of a surprise either.

Yeah, I never complained about America all those posts are just funny.