How would this play out in Thailand?

8 hours ago, recom273 said:

I agree, he just played the part of an obnoxious Brit (im British myself) - why not just tell them, "yes, of course I will delete your images on a livestream, ok, yes, no problem" and let them walk away - no need to provoke the Chinese

I agree Dr K comes across as a bit of a tw 4t. But why should he give in to bullying from a group of Chinese activists? 

Especially the Chinese guy who starts shouting at Dr K for 'touching' the Chinese girl. Apparently this is a popular tactic in China. Over reacting to something to get the other person in trouble so you can sue them. 

Funny how shouty Chinese boy was so quiet when then the big younger English guy confronted them towards the end of the video. Typical bully. 

A selection of the comments online: 

The "don't touch her" overeaction was purposeful. They wanted to create an scenario where they could win, because they realized they were not going to win with their request. It is a manipulation tactic.

Hong kong stands with you ,Dr.K. loved your performance

You got my support man. From California. How dare they come here and dictate what you can do in your own country.

Montréal, Quebec Canada. Great playing and in a democratic free society you are a beacon of light. The show must go on

Support for your stand from Australia. That guy appears to be a CCP officer who’s not used to hearing “No”!

Hell Yeah!! Thank you so much for your beautiful speech Dr.K. We Japan stands with you. We’ll follow you for protecting freedom of speech

As a Chinese, I also stand with the YouTuber. Don't know what those guys are doing and watching this video makes me feel embarrassed.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

I agree Dr K comes across as a bit of a tw 4t. But why should he give in to bullying from a group of Chinese activists? 

Especially the Chinese guy who starts shouting at Dr K for 'touching' the Chinese girl. Apparently this is a popular tactic in China. Over reacting to something to get the other person in trouble so you can sue them. 

Funny how shouty Chinese boy was so quiet when then the big younger English guy confronted them towards the end of the video. Typical bully. 

A selection of the comments online: 

The "don't touch her" overeaction was purposeful. They wanted to create an scenario where they could win, because they realized they were not going to win with their request. It is a manipulation tactic.

Hong kong stands with you ,Dr.K. loved your performance

You got my support man. From California. How dare they come here and dictate what you can do in your own country.

Montréal, Quebec Canada. Great playing and in a democratic free society you are a beacon of light. The show must go on

Support for your stand from Australia. That guy appears to be a CCP officer who’s not used to hearing “No”!

Hell Yeah!! Thank you so much for your beautiful speech Dr.K. We Japan stands with you. We’ll follow you for protecting freedom of speech

As a Chinese, I also stand with the YouTuber. Don't know what those guys are doing and watching this video makes me feel embarrassed.

Absolutely, he should not bow down to bullying - but living in Asia, do we not understand different ways of dealing with situations than direct confrontation?

The media outlets that seemed to have picked up the story are a bit predictable .. TalkTV, Daily Mail, Fox News.

17 hours ago, Keeps said:

Interesting. Never thought of it from that angle. Maybe drumming up a bit of anti west propaganda for the homeland. They can then put whatever spin they like on it when presenting to the masses. 

This was my first thought, by acting as he did Dr. K was playing right into their hands - but, apparently it didnt appear on Weibo or any other of the Chinese social media sites.

18 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Absolutely, he should not bow down to bullying - but living in Asia, do we not understand different ways of dealing with situations than direct confrontation?

The media outlets that seemed to have picked up the story are a bit predictable .. TalkTV, Daily Mail, Fox News.

Personally I would have just ignored them and carried on. Why should we be worried about 'provoking the Chinese', especially a bunch of entitled student pro CCP activists? 

I don't agree with Dr K's way of handling it (he's an attention seeker), but I also don't agree with appeasing bullies like the passive aggressive shouty man. 

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Personally I would have just ignored them and carried on. Why should we be worried about 'provoking the Chinese', especially a bunch of entitled student pro CCP activists? 

I don't agree with Dr K's way of handling it (he's an attention seeker), but I also don't agree with appeasing bullies like the passive aggressive shouty man. 

Exactly what I would have done, said, "certainly, that's no problem - but you understand that it's a livestream" watch them scuttle off, then just upload the video anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

He may be an attention seeker, but in that case the passive aggressive shouty man has succeeded in adding 50,000 subscribers to Dr K's YouTube channel in 24 hours. Impressive! 'Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind' and all that.

Yesterday - 2.28 million

image.jpeg.06d9e271fe2bb670f35b5d0288003c49.jpeg

Today - 2.33 million

image.jpeg.7584de2ee66822d0bcbf3df21b70020d.jpeg

• Haha 1

All parties are at fault.

In a world where everyone carries a video camera in their pocket and will whip it out to record a bowl of salad or someone tripping, the arrogant Chinese shouldn't expect privacy in public, nor make those demands of others in a (semi) free country. The female cop did what they excel at, make an ass of themself.

I consider the honky tonk pianist shouldn't be using a piano, donated for public entertainment use, to run his business. He seems to be there daily on YT and promoting his piano teaching job. I've seen him handing out business cards to any who stop to talk. His piano skills are average and his one choice of music style abysmal. I find his whole countenance revolting; he reminds me of someone who should be running a shell game near the bow bells.

His self-promotion as Dr K because he has a PHD in English is pretentious.