Riding in bed of pickup

Mick 1

I have family visiting in Bangkok and intend to ride with a couple riding in the back, Iv heard this to be illegal and a THB2,000 fine if stopped, is this correct?

Also can anyone say as to the likelihood of being pulled over in and around outer Bangkok.

Cheers

Mick

Can’t say for certain in Bangkok - but in Kanchanaburi many people are carried around on the back of utes and trucks - as many as a dozen in the back of a Revo!.  I regularly carry children (my extended family, not randoms!!) on the back of my ranger. A few weeks ago I had 4 family members on the back for a day trip from Kanchanaburi to HuaHin. See many police - but never had an issue.   Where the BIB will hassle you is if you carry people on the back on toll roads or ‘freeways’. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Mick 1 said:

Iv heard this to be illegal and a THB2,000 fine if stopped, is this correct?

Yes. There are exceptions. Children 6 and under are not required to strap in, as the government said it is working to help bring affordable child seats with seatbelts to market.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Who is to say what Thai cops will do, 

But I see  picy trucks loaded with people in the back every day , so your chances of getting stopped are Low to nothing  IMO

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Mick 1 said:

I have family visiting in Bangkok and intend to ride with a couple riding in the back, Iv heard this to be illegal and a THB2,000 fine if stopped, is this correct?

Also can anyone say as to the likelihood of being pulled over in and around outer Bangkok.

Of course its illegal and common sense. Why even consider the question of getting stopped by law enforcement for something that is illegal?

• Confused 3
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Luckily it didn't roll.

Blimey. Whatever it was that flew out of the black pickup, if previously alive, probably isn't now. The moped rider waiting at the junction was lucky as hell.

Edited by Woof999
spelling

It seems that this forum has many members who are intellectually challenged. Hello to the OP.

Rocket science is not required to understand the traffic police apply different rules and fines to foreigners than they do with Thais.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Yes. There are exceptions. Children 6 and under are not required to strap in, as the government said it is working to help bring affordable child seats with seatbelts to market.

Neighbour bought a car child seat after kiddie smashed into widow on breaking. When asked where it was she said in the boot- she thought it was like a talisman, as long as in the car it would protect the baby! never did get used.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

So you're happy to drive three hours + with people risking their lives in your truck? Rent a van.

Yep , I am happy - and so are they

Accidents don't happen in vans? - ( and btw - would need a bus...)

When in Rome...

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, G Rex said:

When in Rome...

Are you really that stupid? Really? You aren't driving a van. You are driving a pickup from which people can be and often are thrown out because either the driver or another on the road does something stupid. How long have you been in Thailand to not care if you risk lives or not? Of course they're happy as they are too stupid to know their life is at risk. Shouldn't you know better? Jeez!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No-one actually cares if people die here. The police don't care, the school in this case doesn't care, the driver doesn't care, the parents don't care, the kids don't care. Why should we? Their country, their culture, their lives.

Road Safety 1.jpg

A photo with no content ... meaningless

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, G Rex said:

When in Rome...

You don't sit your passengers on the roof of a van though do you, they are enclosed and have seat belts.

Irresponsible and shameful.

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Vigo carrying 26 people crashed

3 days ago .  Pickup Truck Overturns on Elevated Highway, Injuring 23 Workers in Chonburi.

image.png.c43a62472b111dbf0d0b7e007e5e8906.png

image.png.a3a1654fe658d8607980e18e99d9455c.png

Edited by IvorBiggun2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

A photo with no content ... meaningless

As you appear to be visually impaired I'll explain the photo, one that I took, to you. It is of around a dozen school kids sitting and standing in the bed of a pickup, some of them sitting on the side. What this means, what you describe as meaningless, is that if the driver has to brake suddenly or swerve, even if it is no fault of his own, then any of these kids could be thrown out and seriously injured or killed. A similar thing happened to my wife being transported from school and one kid was killed and another lost his legs. That was 50 years ago and still nothing has changed to prevent such accidents. There, I hope that explains it for you, and why the photo and content isn't meaningless. You aren't Thai are you, unable to see the significance and danger of the situation?

Road Safety 1.jpg

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, G Rex said:

When in Rome...

Riding in a van offers protection.  Enclosed metal cage, proper seating with headrests, airbags, seatbelts.

In back of a pickup, in case of accident or sometimes massive pothole, occupants become airborn.

My anecdote:  Dated a nurse from the US southwest who told me one of the more common notations on motor vehicle fatality reports was "FOOP" --- "fell out of pickup."

9 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Of course its illegal and common sense. Why even consider the question of getting stopped by law enforcement for something that is illegal?

Because TIT, and law enforcement and common sense are a couple of things that seem to be in short supply here! 

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:
7 hours ago, G Rex said:

When in Rome...

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

Riding in a van offers protection.  Enclosed metal cage, proper seating with headrests, airbags, seatbelts.

In back of a pickup, in case of accident or sometimes massive pothole, occupants become airborn.

My anecdote:  Dated a nurse from the US southwest who told me one of the more common notations on motor vehicle fatality reports was "FOOP" --- "fell out of pickup."

It appears that the O/P is more concerned about the potential damage to his bank balance than he is about the safety and welfare of his family.

But there you go, this is Thailand. And as my wife is always quick to point out whenever I make a comment on these matters: 'It's up to them'. So be it.

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It appears that the O/P is more concerned about the potential damage to his bank balance than he is about the safety and welfare of his family.

But there you go, this is Thailand. And as my wife is always quick to point out whenever I make a comment on these matters: 'It's up to them'. So be it.

I don't think the OP who is merely asking about the legality, or G Rex who says he regularly breaks the law,  realise that, if he is involved in an accident and someone dies, even if the accident isn't his fault, he faces the rest of his life in a Thai jail. G Rex in particular isn't, like many Thais, capable of thinking past step 1. Extraordinary. At least the OP asked.

• Haha 1