Police officer jailed when he appeared before a Bangkok court after a fatal shooting on Wednesday

webfact

image.jpeg

Police Sergeant Kiattipong, also known as Dab Pae Suwannusak. on Thursday. The Ratchada Criminal Court refused him bail and ordered him detained for a 12-day period.

The accused, not on official duty, accompanied a friend to retrieve a phone. Confronted by the victim, a professional motorbike rider, the situation escalated. Despite orders to stand down, the victim attacked the accused with a knife. Feeling threatened, the officer fired a fatal shot at the attacker threw a car window. 

A court in Bangkok on Thursday jailed a police officer who fatally shot a man on Wednesday evening. He was remanded in detention for 12 days. The court refused the officer bail after prosecutors objected and suggested he may interfere with the case.

However, in a statement to the press, Police Sergeant Kiattipong Suwannusak claimed he only acted in self-defence. He said he was viciously attacked by the victim in a crazed state with a knife. The officer was not on official duty at the time.

police-officer-jailed-after-appearing-before-a-bangkok-court-after-fatal-shooting

On Thursday, a court remanded a police officer to prison. It came following an incident at 7 pm in the Huai Khwang district of Bangkok.

by James Morris and Son Nguyen

Full story: Thai Examiner.com 2024-01-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1

Video was on TV. Looks like self defense from what you can see. Carrying a gun off duty I assume is allowed here. If someone came after me with a knife or machete, I would use anything I could to stop him. If I was carrying a weapon, like in the US where it's allowed in many places, I would aim for a shoulder or leg if I had the chance, especially if it was only I involved and not a family member who was at risk of death. He did go to the house to retrieve a phone, as it's said, and brought his weapon for whatever reason he came up with. Going to the victims home is why he was held without bail, under Thai law. The victim was the boyfriend of the policeman's driver, his stepdaughter .

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 1:50 PM, webfact said:

the officer fired a fatal shot at the attacker threw a car window.

Shouldn't be ""through" than "threw"?

Another outstanding example of top notch journalism.....

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 10:58 AM, Will B Good said:

I think I might have asked this before......but does anyone know why they are obsessed with covering up the handcuffs?

To save him from having to point at stuff and losing face.

• Thanks 1