hi my daughter is born and lives  in bangkok half laos/english

can i pass my condo i own in bangkok on to her in a will or testament ?

im the future if anything happened i would like her to own it from me .

This is possibly an issue for me too. Assuming I leave my Bangkok condo in a Thai will to my Cambodian GF, I have yet to be given a clear answer that the Land Department will allow transfer to her name without her bringing in funds to the value of the property from overseas. I would like a definite answer too. The lawyers were unsure on this and couldn't guarantee either way.

FWIW; when I divorced my ex, I had to remit 50% of the settlement value again from overseas in order to get her name removed from the land register, and the condo then put solely in my name.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My understand of the law, and based upon information provided on this forum previously, is that when a foreigner inherits a condo from another foreigner, the new owner needs to bring in funds from abroad equivalent to the assessed value of the condo. Either that or they must sell the condo. Previous posts in this forum usually identify the foreigner inheriting the condo as a Westerner. However, I believe this stipulation applies to anyone that is not a Thai citizen. Being born in Thailand does not automatically confer Thai citizenship unless at least one of the parents is Thai. So, your daughter is not Thai and therefore must bring in funds from outside of Thailand in order to keep the condo.

You can state in your will that you want her to receive the condo. And if you make her the executor of your will, she should have time to either come up with the funds to put the condo in her name or sell it and receive the net proceeds from the sale of the condo.

Another alternative would be for her to apply for Thai citizenship. Whether that is even possible for her, I don't know.

• Like 1