UK Faces Population Boom Fueled by Immigration: Balancing Concerns with Opportunities

Social Media

image.png

The United Kingdom is projected to experience a significant population surge in the coming years, with net migration driving the majority of the growth. This demographic shift has ignited a debate about its potential impact on infrastructure, public services, and social cohesion.

Numbers at the Heart of the Discussion:

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) forecasts a 9.9% population increase by 2036, reaching 73.7 million. Notably, net migration is expected to contribute 92% of this growth, equating to roughly 6.1 million additional residents. This translates to an influx roughly equivalent to "five Birminghams," according to critics.

Concerns and Calls for Action:

This projected demographic shift has raised concerns about potential strains on public services like healthcare, education, and housing. Additionally, some voices express anxieties about cultural integration and social cohesion. Politicians like Suella Braverman and Robert Jenrick have called for stricter immigration controls to manage the situation.

Government Measures and Commitments:

The government has acknowledged the need for action. Home Secretary James Cleverly recently announced visa restrictions for foreign care workers, aiming to curb migration in specific sectors. Chancellor Rishi Sunak reiterated the government's commitment to reducing overall immigration levels. However, critics argue these measures might not be sufficient to address the projected growth.

Beyond Challenges, Opportunities Emerge:

While concerns are valid, it's crucial to consider the potential benefits of a diverse and growing population. Immigration can bring cultural richness, economic dynamism, and innovation. Open and informed discussions are needed to ensure that policies foster integration and maximize the opportunities presented by this demographic shift.

Moving Forward: A Balanced Approach:

Addressing the UK's population boom requires a multifaceted approach. Investing in infrastructure and public services is crucial to accommodate the growing population. Effective integration policies can help ensure that newcomers contribute positively to society. Additionally, transparent and constructive dialogue is essential to address concerns and anxieties around immigration, promoting social cohesion and understanding.

Source

image.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, James105 said:

"Immigration can bring cultural richness, economic dynamism, and innovation."

The UK is a magnet for the opposite of this due to the generosity of the welfare system.   If the UK "needs" such high levels of immigration can we at the very, very least stop giving social housing and benefits to those who have never contributed.   18% of immigrants are in social housing which means they cannot even afford to live in the UK without the UK taxpayer funding it.  In London that percentage is a staggering 48%.  In what other country on this planet can you simply rock up and be provided with subsidised social housing because you cannot actually afford to live there because you do not have the skills to earn enough to do so?    

Being in social housing does not mean that the tenant is being supported l, vast numbers of people in the UK rent:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/544709/tenants-among-population-uk/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, James105 said:

you cannot actually afford to live there because you do not have the skills to earn enough to do so

they have the skills to make babies... if brits just like canadians were better at it there wouldnt be a need for immigrants. canada wants 500 000 immigrants a year, yet there isnt enough housing available for the locals. if our gvts didnt screw us over with taxes etc and make it so expensive to raise families i am sure we could fill the quotas

there is also this problem:

Why do women not want to have kids anymore?

For men, the most commonly-cited factor (33%) was personal finances, but among women, 42% said the strongest consideration influencing their decision not to have a child was their desire to “maintain their personal independence.”Oct 18, 2022

Edited by Pouatchee

25 minutes ago, RayC said:

I'd hazard a guess that racists (and xenophobes) wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Neither would the good folks of Chicago, New York and Denver.  And they're not racist.  They just don't like seeing their kids kicked out of school, and their streets turned into open air toilets, and their city budgets take it in the shorts to pay for the new arrivals.  Especially when the new arrivals get freebees and bennies that the locals have been crying out for, for decades.  I'd imagine there are similar good folks all over Britain.

It's a shame, really.  The wealthier countries could attract the best, the brightest and the most industrious immigrants from all over the world.  All they'd have to do is tweak their immigration requirements and they could inundate their country with doctors, nurses, engineers and skilled (and unskilled) laborers with impeccable backgrounds.  Immigrants that would be a net add, instead of a net cost and for decades.

But the Globalists among them worry that they'd be stripping talent from countries that sorely need that talent.  Sorely need, but don't deserve because of corruption and backward cultures.  It's long past time for our leaders to put our own countries first.

Edited by impulse
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Neither would the good folks of Chicago, New York and Denver.  And they're not racist.  They just don't like seeing their kids kicked out of school, and their streets turned into open air toilets, and their city budgets take it in the shorts to pay for the new arrivals.  Especially when the new arrivals get freebees and bennies that the locals have been crying out for, for decades.

It's a shame, really.  The wealthier countries could attract the best, the brightest and the most industrious immigrants from all over the world.  All they'd have to do is tweak their immigration requirements and they could inundate their country with doctors, nurses, engineers and skilled (and unskilled) laborers with impeccable backgrounds.  Immigrants that would be a net add, instead of a net cost and for decades.

But the Globalists among them worry that they'd be stripping talent from countries that sorely need that talent.  Sorely need, but don't deserve because of corruption and backward cultures.  It's long past time for our leaders to put our own countries first.

In response to your broad negative generalizations and misinformed nonsense: 

Here’s some facts:

The reported nationality of NHS staff varies substantially between staff groups. Overall, 18.7% of staff report a nationality other than British. For doctors this figure is 35.0%, and for nurses it is 27.2%.”

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7783/CBP-7783.pdf

Do you speak for all the good folks of Chicago, New York and Denver or just those whose opinions you imagine?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Here’s some facts:

The reported nationality of NHS staff varies substantially between staff groups. Overall, 18.7% of staff report a nationality other than British. For doctors this figure is 35.0%, and for nurses it is 27.2%.”

They call it malinformation...

So you're contending that the NHS is nicely staffed up and they couldn't use a few more nurses and doctors?  Personnel they could easily attract by tweaking their immigration policies to show a preference for skills in short supply? 

Instead, they seem to favor random disenfranchised asylum seekers, with no particular skillset other than not liking it "back home".

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

They call it malinformation...

So you're contending that the NHS is nicely staffed up and they couldn't use a few more nurses and doctors?  Personnel they could easily attract by tweaking their immigration policies to show a preference for skills in short supply? 

Instead, they seem to favor random disenfranchised asylum seekers, with no particular skillset other than not liking it "back home".

And yet the actual NHS data indicates the UK is doing very well at attracting medical professionals.

Not that I expect facts to get in the way of blind nonsense.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

If we need Doctors and nurses then those professions can be allowed to immigrate. We can have a points based system.

I highly doubt the boatloads of illegals currently entering are going to get jobs as surgeons in the NHS. Or any job that a local unemployed person could not do for that matter.

Small boat arrivals are a tiny fraction of immigrants and if the Government enacted the existing laws, cleared genuine asylum seekers and deported bogus asylum seekers, they’d be an even smaller fraction of immigrants.

I have provided a link to data doctors, nurses and other health professionals above.

I wonder if these doctors and nurses are going to build schools and houses for all these illegal immigrants?

Refer comment above regarding bogus asylum seekers.

Why would doctors and nurses build houses for anyone, other immigrants are doing that in large numbers: 

Construction was the most common industry for those born in the EU2 countries and non-EU European countries

Of adults born in EU2 (Romania and Bulgaria), 17.6% were employed in construction and of those born in non-EU European countries, 14.8% worked in this sector.”

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/articles/migrationandthelabourmarketenglandandwales/census2021#professional-occupations-were-the-most-common-occupations-for-several-country-of-birth-groups

Or are they going to address the London knife crime epidemic (committed mainly by send or third generation immigrants)?  

These people are known as ‘British Citizens’.

Maybe knife crime has something to do with taking police officers of the streets, the Tories were warned by the Police Federation of the inevitable consequences of doing so.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, James105 said:

"Immigration can bring cultural richness, economic dynamism, and innovation."

The UK is a magnet for the opposite of this due to the generosity of the welfare system.   If the UK "needs" such high levels of immigration can we at the very, very least stop giving social housing and benefits to those who have never contributed.   18% of immigrants are in social housing which means they cannot even afford to live in the UK without the UK taxpayer funding it.  In London that percentage is a staggering 48%.  In what other country on this planet can you simply rock up and be provided with subsidised social housing because you cannot actually afford to live there because you do not have the skills to earn enough to do so?    

The rate of employment is higher for foreign born than for UK born. It means they proportionally contribute more often than UK born.

• Agree 1

The main problem is of course that the vast majority of the British public are against immigration and in particular immigration from Muslim countries. This holds true through political alignment and age groups, and even among many non-Muslim racial minority groups. It's the same with those who regret Brexit as they still hate EU immigration and EU policies on migration.

50 minutes ago, Arindos said:

The main problem is of course that the vast majority of the British public are against immigration and in particular immigration from Muslim countries. This holds true through political alignment and age groups, and even among many non-Muslim racial minority groups. It's the same with those who regret Brexit as they still hate EU immigration and EU policies on migration.

Link?

14 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Here’s some facts:

Do you speak for all the good folks of Chicago, New York and Denver or just those whose opinions you imagine?

I don't know if that quote is just wrong, only applicable outside London, or the situation has changed since I left the NHS, but I worked in a London hospital for over a decade, and spent a year doing agency in many London hospitals, and the % of foreign nurses was far higher than 27.2%. More like 90%. Sometimes I never saw an English ( white ) nurse.

When I started most agency nurses, which hospitals relied on for staffing, were Australian, but the government didn't like paying agency rates, so they replaced them with permanent staff from Africa and the Phillippines as the pay rates were significantly lower. So low that even overseas nurses wouldn't work for it, and the government was forced to give a substantial pay rise to lower grade ( the ones that did the work- not managers ) nurses.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know if that quote is just wrong, only applicable outside London, or the situation has changed since I left the NHS, but I worked in a London hospital for over a decade, and spent a year doing agency in many London hospitals , and the % of foreign nurses was far higher than 27.2%. More like 90%. Sometimes I never saw an English ( white ) nurse.

When I started most agency nurses, which hospitals relied on for staffing, were Australian, but the government didn't like paying agency rates, so they replaced them with permanent staff from Africa and the Phillippines as the pay rates were significantly lower. So low that even overseas nurses wouldn't work for it, and the government was forced to give a substantial pay rise to lower grade ( the ones that did the work- not managers ) nurses.

So again you ignore the facts and state IMO, like only you know the truth.

Is the government lying or is it a conspiracy, only you can see? Or do you have a different agenda?

I see why you posted the other day, you only listen and talk to yourself.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7783/#:~:text=How many NHS staff are,staff with a known nationality.

IMG_2048.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know if that quote is just wrong, only applicable outside London, or the situation has changed since I left the NHS, but I worked in a London hospital for over a decade, and spent a year doing agency in many London hospitals, and the % of foreign nurses was far higher than 27.2%. More like 90%. Sometimes I never saw an English ( white ) nurse.

I don’t in anyway dispute your personal experience, the higher numbers of immigrant staff in London is not surprising.

I spent most of last year in the UK, in weekly and often daily contact with the NHS; local GP surgery, regional hospital and a university hospital, none of which were in London. 

My observations over that period were in line with the NHS data I linked.

But things have changed, EU staff are now almost entirely replaced with Asian and African immigrants and the use of agency staff has been stepped up, refer link below.

Furthermore, the numbers of nurses in training has not been stepped up, despite the shortages and despite the predictable loss of EU staff.

Count yourself lucky you aren’t nursing in the UK, pots and pans were banged on door steps in recognition of the sacrifices and hard work of NHS Staff but it’s not been followed up with pay and improved service conditions. 

These days doctors and nurses don’t even get free parking at the hospital were they work.

Nobody could ever accuse the current UK Government of not wanting to pay agency rates, the usual reasons are widely reported:

https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-events/news/uk-32bn-agency-spend-could-have-paid-salaries-of-31000-nurses-051223#:~:text=Findings from a Freedom of,shortages to keep wards open.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Maybe knife crime has something to do with taking police officers of the streets, the Tories were warned by the Police Federation of the inevitable consequences of doing so.

Totally ignoring Sadiq Khan's role as mayor of London. The man is a disgrace and London has become a crime ridden, violent, anti-semitic shambles as a result. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Totally ignoring Sadiq Khan's role as mayor of London. The man is a disgrace and London has become a crime ridden, violent, anti-semitic shambles as a result. 

Oh so was Khan that decimated the police force and wiped out community policing.

Who knew?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oh so was Khan that decimated the police force and wiped out community policing.

Who knew?!

Maybe you could educate yourself about the role of the Mayor of London.

I'll help you get started.

You're welcome.

https://www.london.gov.uk/programmes-strategies/mayors-office-policing-and-crime-mopac#:~:text=The Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC),-Our vision at&text=The Police Reform and Social,Policing and Crime (MOPAC).

image.png.d45f89c809eb5b217a74004000f4908d.png

• Confused 2

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Oh so it was Khan who decimated the police force and wiped out community policing!

Except it wasn’t.

And seems to have been busy promoting knife crime across the rest of the UK:

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN04304/SN04304.pdf

• Agree 2